The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: chopping my springs?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Showing results 41 to 53 of 53
    Experienced TGC Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BGR View Post
    Believe me, I don't get it, either. He reported your post and mentioned, "Name calling, insulting members and not even in OT. Thanks". That's a bunch of baby crap. BABY CRAP! Big whoopty F'n do! You called him a F'N Prick! Right On, man. If I could give you an award, I would.

Anyhow, let's get this thread back on topic.

NO, don't cut your springs. Just invest in a set of good lowering springs if you're going to take the time and remove the springs from the car anyway, you might as well place some newer springs in there that are ready to go. IMO, I wouldn't go with coil-overs, either. If you do, don't go cheap. Get the best that money could buy, like the others have said, not the cheap under $100 (or under $50) never-heard of brand.

I know this is way the hell off of topic but THANK YOU SO MUCH for getting rid of that dude. He was such an anal cry baby bitch that it wasnt funny. Ive yet to read a contributing post that he made BUT he supported TGC so i kept my mouth shut. SO thanks again.. Back to the topic.. I honestly wouldnt get ground control coilovers. Yea they ARE adjustable but you lessen your suspension travel as well... But i guess u can say the same with lowering springs. I myself saved up and waited for over 2 years to get my k-sport coilovers for my 7g. I was impatient but man i will tell you this. I honestly dont think a KYB and good name brand lowering spring would have given me the same ride quality that my coilovers gave me and i PROBABLY paid AS much OR less than KYB AGX struts and eibach lowering spring with new strut mounts. So i say wait and save up (even though you probably arent gonna get the coilovers at the same cost i did brand new). Atleast a good set of struts and lowering springs will do just fine.

Experienced TGC Member Galantfan88's Avatar
    Dont do it man, dont do it!!!! If you value your car listen to everyone here not what other people or your friends are doin.

come out to the TGC S. Florida meets and you can get an idea on what you want to put on your car

Quote Originally Posted by alex0091 View Post
    wow ALOT of hostility in this post lol but thanks to you guys who actually gave me info.
    You can get lowering springs for like $100. Check either our for sale section or www.club3g.com

You can use lowering springs or suspension from the 3rd Gen Mitsubishi Eclipse also. 2000-2005.

Quote Originally Posted by BGR View Post
    Can someone tell me why you would want coil overs in the first place? I'm not a stickler for front end alignments, but wouldn't you need an alignment each time you changed the drop settings?

(on a related note - I replaced my 2.2" drop springs with 1.2" drop springs and not only is the ride better, but my tires [camber] is nowhere near as bad as the old drop. I went 1 year without rotating the rear tires and the inner side just started to have uneven wear. Before, If I'd done that with the 2.2" drop, wires would be showing and of course, I would need new tires)
    I got my megans simply because they provide more range of lowering than lowering springs. I could run at factory height with dead stiff dampening, or fully lowered and fully soft dampening if I wanted. It is the adjustability that is key. Coilovers also provide a complete package whereas even the KYB AGX's may be nice, they sure can't handle life lowered 4".

I agree with dave, I was on AGX and eibach springs, and the amount of adjustability is so much better with CO's. I have my car pretty well slammed, almost no gap between tire and fender well, but the ride isn't bad because I can soften up the dampning and it's still a daily, plus I was able to lift it for the foot of snow I had to drive in. Save up for the coilovers, you won't regret it.
    OZ Rally Crew #001, Quaife Club member :D

I wish i didnt wasted money on lowering springs and bought coilovcers at once.

well lets put it this way. i did do the idiot move and heat mine to lower the ride and it rode fine for about a week then it just started boucing like the wheels were goin to fall off. So listen closely. DO NOT heat, cut, compress or otherwise! Do it right and buy the whole setup at 1 time. Springs, struts, and swaybars & links kit. Much smoother ride and damn good looking too.
    no longer a g owner.....:(

Soon to get another.....:)

Quote Originally Posted by greddy View Post
    ... plus I was able to lift it for the foot of snow I had to drive in. Save up for the coilovers, you won't regret it.
    semi-threadjack here
    questions regarding "winter adjustments" you made

1. don't you have to pull the wheels to make height adjustments?
    2. did you plan to do this, or just when you got a foot of snow?
    3. if you're going to leave it raised for the winter, will you be getting alignment checked/adjusted? or do you plan to just set it back when the snow melts?
    4. how high did you lift it?
    Q

~~~~~~~~~~~
    8G (2002) ES 4G64

Quote Originally Posted by Queue View Post
    semi-threadjack here

3. if you're going to leave it raised for the winter, will you be getting alignment checked/adjusted? or do you plan to just set it back when the snow melts?
    well usually we get maybe 1 or 2 inches of snow, but this year we had a massive storm, I did have to take the wheels off, I only lifted it in the front because that's the part the was collecting all the snow, lifted it about an inch or so, not worrying about an alignment cuz I'll set it back down and then get it aligned because I still need to install my rear camber kit and cut out the fenders so I can run camber corrected front and rear.

Quote Originally Posted by Queue View Post
    semi-threadjack here

On the suspension he has (same as mine) you don't have to pull the wheels if you can get at the adjusting collars in the rear, or the adjusting collars and top strut nut in front.

And yes, you need to realign the vehicle EVERY TIME the ride height is changed, or at least you should.

Quote Originally Posted by RedGalant2k1 View Post
    On the suspension he has (same as mine) you don't have to pull the wheels if you can get at the adjusting collars in the rear, or the adjusting collars and top strut nut in front.

And yes, you need to realign the vehicle EVERY TIME the ride height is changed, or at least you should.
    Lol, yeah, I couldn't get to it, especially since I was doing this in the snow, so I gave myself some more room so I could reach it and took the wheels off.

Experienced TGC Member Dominicano's Avatar
    I dropped my car on AGX and eibach back in 2001-02 I never got an alignment and it was never a problem. I do rotate my tires every 6000 and never noticed any abnormal ware. with my Eibachs the drop is not aggresive I can fit two fingers in there. I guess I got lucky. But for what I spent back in the days for the shock and spring I could have a nice megan coilover set for a few hundreds more. But I can't complain to much as I still have these shock and springs for 6+ years now with no problem.

FYI... I just recently installed Eibach Ground controls from a 98-99 V6 accord. It rides great. Spring rates are almost identical. Picked them up for $50

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123