The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Kind of an old issue

Showing results 1 to 12 of 12

Kind of an old issue

As some of you may have seen me post, I have a terrible whining noise coming from the engine bay when I start the car on a cold morning or a wet morning. I was told to tighten the belts again. Today was the first warm day and I took a look and had my brother start the car while the hood was open so I could try and figure out where the noise was coming from. Unfortunately I did not have the right socket for the bolt and couldn't tighten any of them. However, the issue I am now concerned about is the alternator. I know the belt is right near it, but it sounded like it may have been a loud squealing from the alternator. Is that possible?

Cliff notes: Can squealing belts upon starting on a cold/wet morning be the alternator or is it more than likely just the belts needing to be tightened.

Could really be anything that spins in the engine. Personally I'd doubt it is the belts, I'd say it is more inside the engine than anything else, but to be sure you'd need to use a stethoscope.

To clarify more its only when the car is cold. After it warms up a bit the noise goes away. This only happened after I got my accessory belts changed at the end of the summer and it started to get cold. Car runs fine, no changes in MPG, power, etc.

V6? If anything it may be something related to the tensioner (i.e. not the belt itself).

Its your ac belt. It has 2 bolts on the i4 at least.. 1 short one (stopper) 1 long one adjuster. loosen/tighten them....
    2.4L - AWD - 5SPEED - PTE 6057 at __PSI w/Wavetrac LSD

I'd*say*it*has*got*to*be*the*belt(s).*Probably*the *alternator*belt*in*particular.*A*good*way*to*find *out*is*to*buy*a*can*of*belt*dressing,*and*spray*t he*belt*while*it's*whining.*If*the*noise*stops*or* significantly*lessens,*it's*definately*the*belt*ne eding*replacement*or*tightening.*Sinceyou*just*had *them*replaced,*it*would*be*tightening.*The*altern ator*belt*is*a*bit*tricky*to*adequately*tighten*at *first,*so*belt*squeal*is*pretty*common*with*Galan ts.
    -Well that never happened in the simulations.
    -'94 Galant GS Turbo

Sorry*about*all*the*astireks.*My*computer*is*havin g*some*issues.*They*won't*go*away.
    -Well that never happened in the simulations.
    -'94 Galant GS Turbo

LOL, looks like you have an issue.... Merry Xmas on top of everything....
    2.4L - AWD - 5SPEED - PTE 6057 at __PSI w/Wavetrac LSD

LOL at all the *'s

Anyway my GTZ does the same thing, but the whine doest last long, only for about 20 seconds. Its the powersteering pump and it only does it when its really cold outside.
    Just giving a small suggestion too look into.
    02StratusRT and 00EclipseGT

i just did my belts and after 3 horrible years of squealing it doesnt do it anymore. :) merry christmas
    RIP GALANT, GOOD MORNING BMW 330i

330i ZSP (E90) - S4 (B5) / hellaflush

Alright so I guess I'll tighten them later on today. Thanks guys. Merry Christmas to you and yours.

You might try this... after the squealing stops, turn on your high beams, and pull up on all 4 window buttons at once... if it squeals again, very likely the alternator belt... and you may very well want to have your battery checked as well if that's the case. Sounds odd I know, but a weak battery will sometimes cause the alternator to overwork itself and loosen the belt. Probably not the case for you since you just had the belts replaced, they likely just weren't tightened correctly. G'luck.
    Last edited by s4ean; 12-25-2008 at 10:52 AM