The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Manifold cover

Showing results 1 to 13 of 13

Manifold cover

Any one know the tep range on the manifold cover when the car is running? Whats the hottest it gets?
    YES I STILL HAVE MY GALANT!!

Not sure, do you plan on painting it or something?

Lots of people take theirs off, but the excess heat might caust your paint to get messed up on the hood. It might also make the air warm for the intake and you'll get bad performance

Im planing to paint it. and i need to see if the paint i got can with stand the heat. I did paint the oil dipstick (handle) and the the arm that keep the hood up.

If i take off the cover will it loosen up the headers? Just thoes two or 3 bolts right and they dont hold the headers?

Nope, that'll just remove the cover. The exhaust manifold is kept on by 8 or 10 other bolts.

O.K thanks

Experienced TGC Member
    Havnt had one on my car for a year. I think the point of it is to keep temp under the hood down, specially if your air filter sits under the hood.
    Rob
    --------------------------------------------
    rIp 97 Galant
    starting over.
    90 Talon

So Jip it did'nt mess up the paint on the hood?

Experienced TGC Member
    been a year hasnt ruined paint on mine..atleast not yet.
    Rob
    rIp 97 Galant
    starting over.
    90 Talon

i'd go with 1200 degree paint. i mean u can try to use 500 the worst that can happen is that it burns away. uhm another option is to polish it. it takes alot of elbow grease but it looks shiny. just buy alot of sandpaper and keep sanding it going from a semi rough paper and gradually moving to something super smooth.

Webhosting for less than $3 a month? put "pinoyesv6" as a promo code.

IllestGalant
    normal exhaust temp is around 1200. if you take it off you should at least wrap the manifold or header if you have them in thermal wrap to keep heat from melting stuff, alternator wires are close to cover so beware.

Experienced TGC Member
    Like I said a year with no ill effect.

HOWEVER, I have burnt holes into my jacket sleeve twice, (luckily it was a shity old one), and I have burned my forearm 2 times also with just hiting the pipe for a split second, so dont be a dumbass like me and be careful around them if you remove the heat shield
    Rob
    rIp 97 Galant
    starting over.
    90 Talon

BEAST
    I just used good old engine paint. It has been on there for like a month now and I've had no problems. I think it was rated at like 500 degrees. Since it sits about 2 or 3 inches away the sheild doesn't get quite as hot as the exhaust manifold. Look in my sig for the link to see my car. I don't know about wrapping your manifold because I think I heard that wrapping stock headers caused them to crack or something because of the humidity and getting hot and cold and hot and cold all the time. But I would definatly suggest keeping your cover on expecially if you have an intake.