The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: itb's ??

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 44

itb's ??

well i searched and i didnt find anything and i was wondering if any of you dudes run itb's? and if so.. what length is the runners you have? and what size are you running? figured i would have something for the N/A ppls.. to talk about. and it's not really a gen/model specific application so i figured this would be a good place to put it..

Banned
    itb's on galants = wack.

I think a member was selling itb set-up not to long ago.

Experienced TGC Member 6G72gearhead's Avatar
    Getting an excessive acceleration ticket.

I4 guys would be better off turbocharging. Now for a V6, we are getting somewhere, I think boost was talking about running an ITB set up eventually, and I know that I would love to run an offset ITB set up similar to what they put in NSX's. I can only imagine what that could sound like.
    RIP: Colin McRae, you will be missed.
    "I shall go before thee and make the crooked places straight."

2001 ES V6 M/T under construction
    1991 Volvo 244ti 300 whp daily driver
    www.gooichimotorsports.com

I4betterthanUR4
    Yeah I toyed around with the idea of buying that itb set up from that guy who was selling on here but I did some research on gains and money it takes to properly tune it on a 4 and it wasn't worth it at all.

damn. i seen some impressive numbers from a N/a itbs setup on some d16 motors.. i would imagin because of the displacement of a galant motor they would be highly effective.. what kind of numbers was yall getting with a itbs setup on the galants.. to come to the conclusion they are wack?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by panda View Post
    damn. i seen some impressive numbers from a N/a itbs setup on some d16 motors.. i would imagin because of the displacement of a galant motor they would be highly effective.. what kind of numbers was yall getting with a itbs setup on the galants.. to come to the conclusion they are wack?
    itb's on a 4G64 dosen't make that much power/per dollar in contrast to forced induction. you can spend a good amount of money on TB, bigger fuel injectors, upgraded rails, even PP, all that shit still wont make power gains worthy compared to the money spent. Turbo is a much easier (in terms of cost to attain a specific power output) rout.

Panda I think you basically made this thread to be condescending. Tryin to make some kind of statement about Honda's and their D16 with ITB's compared to 4G64's and itbs. i know ITB's is like the latest craze with all the Honda kids. Just remember that power/weight ratios come into play and being that these Hondas with D16 motors also weigh less, they can benefit from ITB's easier than a mid-sized 4G64 sedan like a Galant would.

Buuut, i think you know this already :/
    Last edited by platano; 12-25-2008 at 08:07 PM

Mostly it comes down to the fact that the people on here that are smart enough to set up an individual throttle body induction are smart enough to realize that on a 4G64 boost is cheaper to make more power then an ITB set up will. The platform isn't light enough and there is a greater displacement with a V6 to do a much more powerful all motor build with. Its just not worth the time.

I don't know why someone would waste their time trying to build an all motor I4 for this car and put out as much as a mildly modded V6.

I4betterthanUR4
    Platano hit the nail on the head as far as cost goes. I have a good idea of panda's character and I don't think he would waste his time making a thread just to gloat about how honda motors are better or any nonsense pertaining to the fact (lol notice how I said fact, yeah some honda motors are better than our 4g cry about it). Panda, at the time I compared the full cost of going NA with itb's and supporting mods with the full cost of piecing together a turbo kit and decided on the power per dollar ratio with boost is always more wallet friendly. But I think a lot of real motor builders on here already know that making the same numbers with an NA that a boosted motor can will always be more expensive. So that's where I'm coming from just comparing it to boost. As far as the guys who decide to go all motor with a 4g I'm not sure why mechanically a 4g64 would be wack with a itb set up. I'm NA but not by choice. Build thread coming this summer!

Didn't read gearheads post until after I posted this. Very good point you make about the weight and everything.
    Last edited by I4betterthanUR4; 12-25-2008 at 09:04 PM

i thoguht underrated has an dohc 4g64 with itbs?

Quote Originally Posted by platano View Post
    itb's on a 4G64 dosen't make that much power/per dollar in contrast to forced induction. you can spend a good amount of money on TB, bigger fuel injectors, upgraded rails, even PP, all that shit still wont make power gains worthy compared to the money spent. Turbo is a much easier (in terms of cost to attain a specific power output) rout.

Panda I think you basically made this thread to be condescending. Tryin to make some kind of statement about Honda's and their D16 with ITB's compared to 4G64's and itbs. i know ITB's is like the latest craze with all the Honda kids. Just remember that power/weight ratios come into play and being that these Hondas with D16 motors also weigh less, they can benefit from ITB's easier than a mid-sized 4G64 sedan like a Galant would.

Buuut, i think you know this already :/

nahh im not boasting about honda motors.. im just saying because of the displacement the independent throttle bodys would probably be a good addition to the galant motor. because ive seen k20's with the itbs and they did damn good on it with a 2.0litter motor. so i figured yalls shit would produce a good bit of power.. cause the k20 i seen was pushing about 260-280whp with the itbs.. but actually the itbs setup really wouldnt cost that much only about 2-3k for a complete setup or so.. about the same as a good turbo kit. that and i didnt see any threads about it. so i figured someone here might have done it. or would know what it does on a galant motor.. i know about the power to weight.. but a 7g doesnt really weigh that much more then my civic.. only by 700lbs.. but it has about 1.3liters more of displacement.. so it's equal sorta.. give or take.. a few on both sides.. but i dont know about the newer models, that and i know alot of people that have done this with the d16 motors and figured i could help anyone else out here that was going that route..

Quote Originally Posted by I4betterthanUR4 View Post
    Platano hit the nail on the head as far as cost goes. I have a good idea of panda's character and I don't think he would waste his time making a thread just to gloat about how honda motors are better or any nonsense pertaining to the fact (lol notice how I said fact, yeah some honda motors are better than our 4g cry about it). Panda, at the time I compared the full cost of going NA with itb's and supporting mods with the full cost of piecing together a turbo kit and decided on the power per dollar ratio with boost is always more wallet friendly. But I think a lot of real motor builders on here already know that making the same numbers with an NA that a boosted motor can will always be more expensive. So that's where I'm coming from just comparing it to boost. As far as the guys who decide to go all motor with a 4g I'm not sure why mechanically a 4g64 would be wack with a itb set up. I'm NA but not by choice. Build thread coming this summer!

Didn't read gearheads post until after I posted this. Very good point you make about the weight and everything.

lol.. but if you think about it. you would have to buy rods/pistons/piping/innercooler/turbo/downpipe/exhaust/ecu/ect.. with the itbs you only really would need to build the motor.. maybe high compression pistons/rods/ cam/springs/ then buy the itbs and tuning device.. another thing i was wondering about would be the maf sensor you guys have.. how would you go about removing that big thing lol.. cause shadows g acts stupid with that thing not plugged in and stuff.. wouldnt that hurt the 4g64?
    Last edited by panda; 12-25-2008 at 09:20 PM

Experienced TGC Member
    nahh im not boasting about honda motors.. im just saying because of the displacement the independent throttle bodys would probably be a good addition to the galant motor. because ive seen k20's with the itbs and they did damn good on it with a 2.0litter motor. so i figured yalls shit would produce a good bit of power.. cause the k20 i seen was pushing about 260-280whp with the itbs.. but actually the itbs setup really wouldnt cost that much only about 2-3k for a complete setup or so.. about the same as a good turbo kit. that and i didnt see any threads about it. so i figured someone here might have done it. or would know what it does on a galant motor.. i know about the power to weight.. but a 7g doesnt really weigh that much more then my civic.. only by 700lbs.. but it has about 1.3liters more of displacement.. so it's equal sorta.. give or take.. a few on both sides.. but i dont know about the newer models, that and i know alot of people that have done this with the d16 motors and figured i could help anyone else out here that was going that route..

lol.. but if you think about it. you would have to buy rods/pistons/piping/innercooler/turbo/downpipe/exhaust/ecu/ect.. with the itbs you only really would need to build the motor.. maybe high compression pistons/rods/ cam/springs/ then buy the itbs and tuning device.. another thing i was wondering about would be the maf sensor you guys have.. how would you go about removing that big thing lol.. cause shadows g acts stupid with that thing not plugged in and stuff.. wouldnt that hurt the 4g64?
    You CAN remove it if you have something to tune with along with incorporating other sensors into throttle bodies somehow.. IDK (ask DOHCStunr he doesnt run a MAS anymore). Im clueless. There is a reason why mike has yet to install them on his little car ;-)... But he doesnt have a MAS his car has a MAP (i think) but i know for sure its not a MAS. I honestly would turbo before i did this... ITB's sound sick as fuck but cost wise it wouldnt be economical HENCE the reason i would boost before i do a head swap on the galant.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow19 View Post
    You CAN remove it if you have something to tune with along with incorporating other sensors into throttle bodies somehow.. IDK (ask DOHCStunr he doesnt run a MAS anymore). Im clueless. There is a reason why mike has yet to install them on his little car ;-)... But he doesnt have a MAS his car has a MAP (i think) but i know for sure its not a MAS. I honestly would turbo before i did this... ITB's sound sick as fuck but cost wise it wouldnt be economical HENCE the reason i would boost before i do a head swap on the galant.
    but jiggles you a cheap bastard lol.. but why did mike not do the itbs yet? if i remember wasnt it the tuning part. cause he would always have to retune it when the weather changed?

Experienced TGC Member
    but jiggles you a cheap bastard lol.. but why did mike not do the itbs yet? if i remember wasnt it the tuning part. cause he would always have to retune it when the weather changed?
    Well... I think mike is just bored with his car. But i forsee the swap one day in the future. I think there is other small shit he has left to do though but the biggest reason IS that he wants to use megasquirt and doesnt have the time to fool with it right now.

Well... I think mike is just bored with his car. But i forsee the swap one day in the future. I think there is other small shit he has left to do though but the biggest reason IS that he wants to use megasquirt and doesnt have the time to fool with it right now.
    i would buy that car. but there is only a few problems.. like the ability to get parts would be the major reason. doesnt he still have the tb's from the bike? cause if he did install the itbs that little car would haul ass.. it already does right now but i mean just think with the itbs it would be insane.

Experienced TGC Member
    i would buy that car. but there is only a few problems.. like the ability to get parts would be the major reason. doesnt he still have the tb's from the bike? cause if he did install the itbs that little car would haul ass.. it already does right now but i mean just think with the itbs it would be insane.
    Yea it would.. Why would you worry about the parts being hard to find? You blow it up.. You slap a fucking 4g63t in the bitch and call it a day. Its a direct bolt in.

Yea it would.. Why would you worry about the parts being hard to find? You blow it up.. You slap a fucking 4g63t in the bitch and call it a day. Its a direct bolt in.
    yea i would blow it up.. but still.. it wouldnt be the same with a 4g63t. the motor he has with the itbs on it would be sweet as hell.

but back on topic.. wouldnt a setup like this work on a galant motor?

the set up
    1. 45mm throttle bodies from CBR1000RR bike.
    2. Manifold is a modded Skunk2 intake manifold chopped down, ported, and tapered. I used this because it gives the best possible line-up, and size.
    3. Golden eagle vacuum block with all necessary fittings and ports.
    4. Stock Fuel rail and 240cc injectors with B&M fpr
    5. Map sensor
    6. IAT sensor
    7. Throttle bracket
    8. TPS sensor already comes with modded plug, and harness.
    9. Velocity stacks

Last edited by panda; 12-25-2008 at 10:17 PM

IMO ITB's belong on Hondas. Mitsu motors especially 4G motors should be BOOOOOOSTED. lol

Now on the V6's, it would be one hell of a set-up!!!
    Jigz-TGCIL Sosick Motorsports

R.I.P. Christopher "CRAZY CHRIS" Beckmann
    "you dont appreciate friendship until you lose your bestfriend...."
    I'd rather have the knowledge and ability to do it than the money to buy it already done.

The reason you never see them on mitsu's is because our car's are MAS equipped.

so if you have ITB's you'll still need a custom plenum built around them so you can channel all the air through a MAS then into the plenum, then into the ITB's.

Unless you get some sort of standalone that will allow you to ditch the MAS in exchange for speed density via MAP and IAT.

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

Quote Originally Posted by DOHCstunr View Post
    The reason you never see them on mitsu's is because our car's are MAS equipped.

so if you have ITB's you'll still need a custom plenum built around them so you can channel all the air through a MAS then into the plenum, then into the ITB's.

Unless you get some sort of standalone that will allow you to ditch the MAS in exchange for speed density via MAP and IAT.
    Alot of the Honda guys do that as well, however their ecu's are a lot more tunable then ours are, they still run into limitations especially when running ITB's.

You all are not considering the thousands of dollars worth of head work it takes to build an all motor car. There are thinks you can do to a boosted cylinder head that you cant get away with on an all motor car. A mirror finish on the intake side will not suffice for an all motor car, there needs to be more turbulence to properly atomize fuel, but this needs to be done extremely carefully as if you over do it just a little and you will cause massive power loss. This is not to mention the very carefully chosen cam set and stiffer valvesprings and everything else.

Its not as simple as bolting 4 throttle bodies to a flange that mounts them on the head, it takes thousands more put into tuning and building a proper cylinder head to make big power on a small displacement motor especially.

A lot of you make fun of the old school V8 guys, but when it comes to building a naturally aspirated engine they know their shit. From the rough finish on the intake ports to the small hump just before the intake charge hits the valve, it takes a lot of head work to build a strong N/A motor.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast