The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Biggest Brake Rotors?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Showing results 21 to 33 of 33
    r1 concepts are really bad ass (drilled and slotted). ive had them on for 8 months and they work like new. fyi i also have evo8 brembos.

ill tell you from personal experience whether being on the canyons running full out or being on an autocross track, having a predictable brake setup is keen in performance. period. knowing when they will fade, if they will fade, and where the friction threshold is is very important to actually being able to see the results of your braking system. i had my car on a canyon road that has very long sweeping turns that transition into technical braking and cornering sections and it was a very good feeling knowing absolutely what the car would do considering i put the braking/handling system together. smelling carbon metallic pads after a hard canyon run with no fadding is a testiment to a great brake setup. no fade, remember that. and the road was over 8miles of twisties.

Quote Originally Posted by jojo03 View Post
    r1 concepts are really bad ass (drilled and slotted). ive had them on for 8 months and they work like new. fyi i also have evo8 brembos.
    yeah but we are not talking about street use cracking rotors. we are talking about actual track duty. and no it wont happen the first time or even the second. it takes various heat cylces to be able to crack a weak rotor but none the less they show their evil heads when you would least expect it and would happen to most need them. slotted>cross drilled/slotted

Experienced TGC Member 6G72gearhead's Avatar
    Getting an excessive acceleration ticket.

Quote Originally Posted by boostzealot View Post
    ill tell you from personal experience whether being on the canyons running full out or being on an autocross track, having a predictable brake setup is keen in performance. period. knowing when they will fade, if they will fade, and where the friction threshold is is very important to actually being able to see the results of your braking system. i had my car on a canyon road that has very long sweeping turns that transition into technical braking and cornering sections and it was a very good feeling knowing absolutely what the car would do considering i put the braking/handling system together. smelling carbon metallic pads after a hard canyon run with no fadding is a testiment to a great brake setup. no fade, remember that. and the road was over 8miles of twisties.
    Yeah, I wanted to see what my set up would do, and with a cheaper organic pad, I did a 160-0 brakestand and the pedal stayed solid. Hell it didn't even click abs at all, which probably means I could stand to attain myself a little more brake. I could hold my foot as hard on that pedal as I wanted and it stayed solid.

I was impressed for stock hydraulics.
    RIP: Colin McRae, you will be missed.
    "I shall go before thee and make the crooked places straight."

2001 ES V6 M/T under construction
    1991 Volvo 244ti 300 whp daily driver
    www.gooichimotorsports.com

see a lot of people that do the evo conversion dont take the stock hydraulics into consideration before they do the swap. the stock braking system with slotted brembo rotors, stainless steel braided lines, good carbon metallic pads and a good high temp fluid is still a very comparable setup. it will fade much quicker than the evo brakes will but at the same time the heat that is incurred on the system is much more disappated by the sheer size of the calipers and rotors on the evo setup than the stock that there would be no real way to get the stockers to act like evo's. essentially, if one is not going to track the car then there is no reason they should spend the extra $200-$400 to go to the evo system when the stock when upgraded is more than enough for the typical driver.

Exactly, the stock hydraulics can be pushed so much farther then most on this site give them credit for. I would like to go to the Evo calipers and do an abs delete with an adjustable proportioning valve. I would like more repeatable performance then I am getting. You can tell after multiple hard stops that heat soak is becoming an issue. It still stops though, but the pedal height will change as heat cycles intensify.

instead of doing the abs delete, just get the non abs axles or pull the pickup ring off of your current ones and pull the abs fuse. thats what i did and i didnt have to mess with the abs at all. it works great when you get used to how these brakes clamp so much harder than the stockers, but that learning curve can be a little hair raising at times. lockups suck but at least with the evo's they dont stay that way. the evo's have been know to be up there with the best for modulation

do any of you have a problem with the rotors warping because i have a friend that had that problem
    Lamar Gilmore

Quote Originally Posted by platano View Post
    my wheels clear them no prob. what specific hardware do i need?
    the correct brake lines, oem bolts and the oem locking washers.

You are here entirely tooo much!! Serstylz2's Avatar
    I thought the sole purpose of drilled rotors were for cooling? That's what motorcyclists swear by

^^they are its just some brand rotors like R1 are made of weaker material then others so they tend to crack from hole to whole so they shouldnt be used for purpose built cars but people who build race cars all ready know that.

for the street and cool points there fine though

Quote Originally Posted by Serstylz2 View Post
    I thought the sole purpose of drilled rotors were for cooling? That's what motorcyclists swear by
    It works on a motorcycle because their brakes don't endure anywhere near what a cars will. If you look at a sport bike alot of them have two brakes on the front wheel alone, this makes a huge difference in the amount of abuse the brakes take. On a bike as well a lot of guys don't like the noise that come from slotted rotors, since they can get away with drilled thats what they go for.

When was the last time you saw a bikes rotor glow cherry red?

When it comes down to cars slots are a far more effective way of dealing with built up exhaust gasses. The venting is for cooling btw.

cosigned!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12