The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: wet on backseat floorboard

Showing results 1 to 18 of 18

wet on backseat floorboard

I noticed that when it rains my floorboard on the backseat driver side is wet..I checked to see if it was the window but its not..my seats are never wet i also would look along the door to see if there are traces of water anywhere that could be coming in but its not.. Im clueless!
    "Love My 8G"

You are here entirely tooo much!! 99 galant's Avatar
    Search for Front Floor board leak, it starts in the front. It is from your heater/ac. It leaks onto the front floor but I only noticed it in the back at first too

I4betterthanUR4
    If it was from her heater/ac why would she say it only happens when it rains? I'm guessing the floor has a hole that rusted through.

yeah i 2nd that, thats what it was on my 79 monte carlo. DAMM... she was sumthing else.........

You know what i was kind of thinking that could be it too.. So how would i be able to tell if there is a hole that rusted through..is that something that you could see if someone got underneath the car or would i have to pull carpet up?
    "Love My 8G"

Oh yeah..would that be an expensive fix you think?
    "Love My 8G"

I4betterthanUR4
    Expensive? If its just the floor board you can sand all the rust and have some one just weld up a patch and it'll be good as new (well sorta) The only way to see it would probably be to get it lifted depending on size and location of the hole. You'll most likely have to pull the carpet in that area as well but before you do that take it to a mechanic with a lift and see if you can spot any rust going on under there. A question, when you look at the bottomside of the vehicle do you see rust anywhere else? What about the exterior of the car and the engine bay? Some of these cars were getting up here in WA have been known to come from lousiana and those other states that had really bad flooding. Maybe try to track down your cars vin number. It will cost you to look it up yourself to find out all the places it's been registered but if your getting financed I know the finance guys can look that stuff up whenever they want. Even if you end up finding where the cars been registered it's never 100% accurate. Hope that helps.

DO you have a sunroof or moonroof ??(dont know, how its called) - because there are small drain hose from sunroof to the rear window on some cars... Could be that...
    www.mitsubishiklub.cz
    Dream, as if you live for ever, live as if you will die today, the choice is yours.

Ok, i wll have to look at see what i find..i haven't looked at the bottom yet..Thanks @ Dragon, no i don't have a sunroof...
    "Love My 8G"

You are here entirely tooo much!! 4-G-rim's Avatar
    Had a similar problem with my fiances old 8g..this was my problem, but I will post what I did to find out what the problem was and how I fixed it.

Like yours...everytime it rained a good amount the drivers side floor and back seat would be wet. I thought it was the sunroof but I blocked the drain holes in the sunroof and it still got wet. I removed the drivers seat and started to pull the carpet partially and had my fiance hit the front of the car windshield with a constant stream of water. After a minute I sound where the water was entering the cabin from. The water was intruding where the wiring harness enters the cabin behind the dash and junction block.

I had to removed the front drivers side fender to get to the area where the water was intruding into the cabin. There is a rubber grommet that suppose to provide a tight seal around the wiring harness but it wasn't and the water was freely seaping through. I got crafty and got some extra rubber hosing, cut it so I can fit it around the wiring harness to make it "fat" so I can fill the area where the grommet wasn't sealing the harness and some special seal tape for added security.

After I performed that..soon after (5 hours or so) it rained HARD that day and the next day I checked if there was water inside the cabin and it was dry. . Never had a issue with water entering the cabin again.

1991 Galant VR4 1948/2000_________1996 Galant "S" 5 speed 2.4L turbo

I pulled up the carpet a little and there was water under it for sure...so it is some type of leak that is coming from underneath the car... I took it to a mechanic he told me it would be like finding a needle in a hay stack and that it would be hard for them to pin point where the leak is coming from since it only does it when it rains... He just told me to see if another mechanic would do it, he said more than likely they wouldn't because it would take to much time....So, basically he said i would just have to tell with it... :(
    "Love My 8G"

Quote Originally Posted by I4betterthanUR4 View Post
    If it was from her heater/ac why would she say it only happens when it rains? I'm guessing the floor has a hole that rusted through.
    Because when it rains, water still sometimes gets into the heat/ac system thus draining thru the AC drain.

What i would do is have someone remove the carpet (Or do it your self), dry the floor out. Then get inside and have someone run a water hose all over the car constantly and see where its running in. There's so many places it could come in. The most commom would be the sunroof (You dont have), trunk seal, and AC system.
    02StratusRT and 00EclipseGT

I will try that... for the past couple of days it has been raining and now my front driver and passenger floorboards are full of water.. :( Now my car won't start. I have noticed that the more my car floods on the inside the harder it is for my car to turnover.. Usually it takes about 5 minutes but now it want turn over at all... So im trying to wait a while and see if it will start later...Im ready to just get rid of it all together... :(
    "Love My 8G"

UPDATE UPDATE UPDATE

ok, i just went to check and i think i found the leak..I pulled up the backseat and i saw water under it i sqeezed some of that cushion stuff and water came out of it... I noticed also that along where my back door closes there was a huge hole in the black rubber thing thats along the door...So how do i replace this???
    "Love My 8G"

That's going to be a stealership only item. Also, let your back seat dry thoroughly outside the car someplace or you're going to have a mold/smell issue.
    Chip

2000 Basalt Black Metallic GTZ
    (Paint Code: Porsche LC9Z)

Genuine experience carries a lot more credibility than the ability to answer a question.

Good to know because this happened once over the summer and I wantto fix it. First time this occurred for me was in the winter when it snowed, the snow on the sunroof would melt and leak through to the cabin. Well leak is sugar coating it would pour down all over my right arm. I thought it was fixed when I replaced the sunroof weather stripping but nope after a heavy rain in the summer i found the back carpet wet.

Quote Originally Posted by Fishboy55 View Post
    That's going to be a stealership only item. Also, let your back seat dry thoroughly outside the car someplace or you're going to have a mold/smell issue.
    Its too late for that... I have been having this issue for quite some time now... and my carpet is disgusting and my seats are as well...i really need to replace everything in my smelly car.....I have to buy alot of car scents and i put fabric softners in my car... :( It helps a little
    "Love My 8G"

You are here entirely tooo much!! Stewi's Avatar
    thats the weather strip, the dealer sells them for like $50. Its funny how you guys were talking about the rain leaking thru the floor above, I dont know about you guys but I never thought rain water could defy gravity and come from the bottom. Granted in heavy rain driving it could get damp, but it wouldnt be soaked like that. Just replace the weather strip and give it another try.
    Quote Originally Posted by qnz
    well there are talkers and there are do'ers. talkers never do. and do'ers never talk
    99' Galant ES
    4G64/63T
    AEM EMS