The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Cryo Treatment

Showing results 1 to 10 of 10

Cryo Treatment

What opinions does everyone have on cryogenic treatments? In total the price is only ~$500. for treating the entire engine. (Block, crank, cradle, pistons, rods, caps, bolts, head, valvetrain, cams, head bolts, etc.) I'm also planning on treating the transmission, axles, driveshaft, differential, and a few other components. I'm going for 450-500 whp. I think I may exceed that a little though. I'd be having things cryoed for longevity reasons. The theory behind cryogenics seems sound, but I have yet to see any first hand proof of the benefits.
    -Well that never happened in the simulations.
    -'94 Galant GS Turbo

never heard of that..
    Mods:
    2 tone leather interior, touch screen navigation, 7inch headrest tv's, 17" Driftz Black and Polished rims, 215 50 17 Goodyear Eagle Nct5 tires Tein s lowering springs, kyb gr-2 struts, rearview mirror camera, diamond black paint custom front and lower grill, Chrome door pillars., and chrome door handles. Powder coated my wipper arms wet black, exhaust heat sheild and my valve cover. 2nd gen led taillights

you might want to look into shot peening or wpc treatment if youre already looking to cryo treatment

Experienced TGC Member
    Seems like you own a 7g right? If i were you what i would do is just get the pistons, manifold and the hot side of the turbo treated. No need to do the tranny because they are so fucking cheap if they go bad atleast the 5 speed is. So i wouldnt invest that much into it because you have to do each part individually and youd have to take the tranny apart and put it back together so it would be ALOT more than 450-500 bucks. But thats just me. From the little bit that ive read about cryo treatment it basically helps dissipate heat by like 30% which could be very very untrue. Shot peening is for stress relief so id do that to my crank and maybe a few other things but as for going as far as the whole tranny either invest in a shep built tranny which are proven to hold more than 450-500 whp or just let the fuckers blow up and buy new ones. The 2 trannys ive bought for my 7g costed me 150 shipped each. BUT. I may be telling you some wrong shit so lets hear what others have to say about it.

you're block can hold 900hp w/o any treatments.

you're crank is forged and nitrided. So its already been treated in every way you could want it to be. no point in cryo for it.

About every aftermarket rod and piston is forged, shot peened/ stress relieved/ heat treated. so again.... cryo is unneccesary.

You can't re-use your stock headbolts. so since you'd be a fool not to buy arp's...
    again no point because they are already forged and treated.

absolutely no point in treating your cams. whatsoever.
    especially if you get aftermarket cams(which you will most definatly need to reach your power goals)cause any good set is cnc'd from billet

since you will already need cams, you are going to need valvesprings and retainers... again....already shotpeened stress relieved and treated.

Your head? really? i'm not even going to go into that. your head will be more than fine.
    but its going to take some portwork to make any 4g6x head to make the kind of power to meet your goals.

the one and only thing i would even worry about is the stock 7 bolt girdle.
    and at that... not all that neccesery for your goals.

Use that 500 for something else... like your headbuild.

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

Quote Originally Posted by DOHCstunr View Post
    you're block can hold 900hp w/o any treatments.

you're crank is forged and nitrided. So its already been treated in every way you could want it to be. no point in cryo for it.

About every aftermarket rod and piston is forged, shot peened/ stress relieved/ heat treated. so again.... cryo is unneccesary.

You can't re-use your stock headbolts. so since you'd be a fool not to buy arp's...
    again no point because they are already forged and treated.

absolutely no point in treating your cams. whatsoever.
    especially if you get aftermarket cams(which you will most definatly need to reach your power goals)cause any good set is cnc'd from billet

since you will already need cams, you are going to need valvesprings and retainers... again....already shotpeened stress relieved and treated.

Your head? really? i'm not even going to go into that. your head will be more than fine.
    but its going to take some portwork to make any 4g6x head to make the kind of power to meet your goals.

the one and only thing i would even worry about is the stock 7 bolt girdle.
    and at that... not all that neccesery for your goals.

Use that 500 for something else... like your headbuild.
    /thread great way to break it down
    Brandon - 2001 Galant GST 5speed
    Wiseco // Eagle // PTE // Holset // Turbonetics // Supertech // Blox // Prosport // Vibrant // Innovate // OpenEcu // Mishimoto // Magnaflow // Walbro // XXR // Rotora // Brembo // Hawk // R1 Concepts // Dc Sports

Banned
    basically inunless youre putting down some SERIOUSLY RUBBERDICULOUS hp you dont really need cryo. or if you drive an engine that's easily "explodable" like an RX7.

You are here entirely tooo much!! 4-G-rim's Avatar
    John pretty much hit everything on the head. No need to cryo treat anything in a 4G motor since if you wanted to make it "stronger" there are tons of aftermarket parts to support it.

1991 Galant VR4 1948/2000_________1996 Galant "S" 5 speed 2.4L turbo

Thanks for the feedback. Need/reasonableness in this application aside, has anyone had first hand experience showing the theory behind cryogenics to be accurate?
    -Well that never happened in the simulations.
    -'94 Galant GS Turbo

complete waste of money. spend it somewhere else.
    From Boost Addicts to Carbon Fanatics™ www.socalautowerks.com

Censee: Im trying to pimp some hoes for money for the lsd. 3/28/2011
    Cali: Sig 3/28/2011