The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: 200 HP w/o Turbo or Supercharge...Can it be done??

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Showing results 21 to 40 of 42
    Kain
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(NOSMAN7G)</div><div class='quotemain'>So really what your saying is that it would be better to upgrade the stock 2.4L than it would be to swap a 4G63T?? Â*I was pricing these engines and found a few for 1499.</div>

*shudder* never just drop in a used engine, especially a bargain basement one of unknown origin. I've tried this, and by the time I was done it probably would have been cheaper and easier to rebuild the donor motor immediately upon reciept than go through the hastle of fixing myriad problems after instalation. I'm just a bit biased, but I'd stick with the 4g64 all the way (well, maybe swap to DOHC, but otherwise stick with the '64)

Experienced TGC Member HeadAche's Avatar
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(NOSMAN7G)</div><div class='quotemain'>So really what your saying is that it would be better to upgrade the stock 2.4L than it would be to swap a 4G63T?? Â*I was pricing these engines and found a few for 1499. Â*That seems cheaper than the P&P, Pistons, rods, ect. Â*I wouldn't mind keeping the stock engine but its so hard to find parts for it...I know that most of the eclipse parts will fit but not sure which ones. Â*How much was your rebuild Kemist?? Â*If I could get the engine like new again I'd definetly hook that up but I don't want to spend all this money on a 47K mile engine. Â*Who on this forum has done these upgrades besides Kemist?? Â*Thanx</div>

Just like Kain has said, its a real 50/50 chance when buying a motor that you have no idea where it came from, even though most places will give you a background history on it.. The 4g63t is a great motor but i woouldnt buy it, just because i know the 4g64 has great underlines potential, even though parts are kinda hard to find. The internals for the 3g eclipse will fit our motor since they are the same, so thats really not a problem.. I have about 46k on my second motor, and she is just getting broken in, so i still have a lot left in her.. The complete rebuid of the second motor ran me about 8'gs, and there is nothing that hasnt been done.. All in all, i have spent maybe about 15'gs on the re-build of both motors.. The first one im giving to my friend to put in his 2g eclipse and put individual TB, and possibly a BB 18g 60 trim..
    I Shook You At The Track, My Boyz Threw Asprin On The Floor, They Said Now You Gotta Headache...

The illiterate of the twenty-first century will not be those who can not read or write, but those who can not learn, un-learn and re-learn.

NOSMAN7G
    This is gonna probaly sound stupid but what years a 3gen eclipses 95-99?? Also I'm thinking on the DOHC swap..How much do you think it would cost from start to finish?? I will stick with the 4G64 for now...but I'm probaly gonna find a 4G63 or a 4G63T to play around with. Alright I have the list of what to do but what can be done to increase acceleration? The kit comes first but I just wanna do a little here and a little there to make the engine a bit stronger. Thanx for all the responses.

Quote Originally Posted by NOSMAN7G
    This is gonna probaly sound stupid but what years a 3gen eclipses 95-99?? Also I'm thinking on the DOHC swap..How much do you think it would cost from start to finish?? I will stick with the 4G64 for now...but I'm probaly gonna find a 4G63 or a 4G63T to play around with. Alright I have the list of what to do but what can be done to increase acceleration? The kit comes first but I just wanna do a little here and a little there to make the engine a bit stronger. Thanx for all the responses.
    3g start from 99+ and on.. A DOHC swap, not realyl sure what the cost would be, it all really depends on how much you can get the block for and who does it, really.. I would say at the most prolly 5-6g's but thats just an approx.. If you want to increase acceleration, you can always move your TB cable so there is not so much slack it in.. Then you can get what i call the starter mods, I/H/E, just the basics to get that bottom end,and get better responce right off the line..
    I Shook You At The Track, My Boyz Threw Asprin On The Floor, They Said Now You Gotta Headache...

The illiterate of the twenty-first century will not be those who can not read or write, but those who can not learn, un-learn and re-learn.

200+ HP N/A? No prob.. buy a 70 Chevelle LS6 SS454. 450HP N/A

NOSMAN7G
    So many options...I'm going to the Junkyard this week or next so I'll look for a DOHC head. I just gotta find out year and turbo or non-turbo. I'll check all the other posts on the swap. So you think probaly 5-6gs for just the swap alone?? Thats alot..lol. Whos 7g has all these engine upgrades?? Does anyone?? I know alot of 8gs do but I havent heard of many 7gs w/major engine work.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Kemist aka Shane)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(NOSMAN7G)</div><div class='quotemain'>This is gonna probaly sound stupid but what years a 3gen eclipses Â*95-99?? Â*Also I'm thinking on the DOHC swap..How much do you think it would cost from start to finish?? Â*I will stick with the 4G64 for now...but I'm probaly gonna find a 4G63 or a 4G63T to play around with. Â*Alright I have the list of what to do but what can be done to increase acceleration? Â*The kit comes first but I just wanna do a little here and a little there to make the engine a bit stronger. Â*Thanx for all the responses.</div>

3g start from 99+ and on.. </div>

3g Eclipses are from 2000 and on. 8g Galants are from 1999 and on.

NOSMAN7G
    Thanx for clearing that up. Once I get back I'll save up for the $4000 hybrid motor from magnus. That should give me some decent power don't you guys think??

NOSMAN7G
    More questions ...Does a 4G63 or 4G63T fit our cars w/o much mods?? I was talking to a mitsu mechanic today and he said he did'nt think it would fit in the galants. Who has done this and could help me out?? PM me if you have. I'm interested in the cost and the HP gain from the swaps. Thanx alot

Kain
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(NOSMAN7G)</div><div class='quotemain'>More questions ...Does a 4G63 or 4G63T fit our cars w/o much mods?? I was talking to a mitsu mechanic today and he said he did'nt think it would fit in the galants. Â*Who has done this and could help me out?? Â*PM me if you have. Â*I'm interested in the cost and the HP gain from the swaps. Â*Thanx alot Â*:D</div>

Craig did it. Took him a weekend I think. Minimal modifications needed. That tech didn't know his engines very well... the '64 is just a slightly larger version of a 4g63.

NOSMAN7G
    So do you think it would be better to swap a 4G63 into my galant? Easier to get parts for and more power. How hard is this install? I found a jdm Mitsubishi 4G63 Turbo Charged TD04 Engine 200 HP. for around 1200 shipped. Good or No?

T-O-P
    It all depends. If the new motor swap is going to be a direct fit, I guess so. Usually engine swaps have to do with changing some stuff in the suspension and motor mounts. This can get pretty pricey. All at the end you could be looking at $10K for everything including labor.

All the mod's listed for 200 hp is for probably 200 at the wheels. You can easily get 200 with several mods. Port and polish the heads, bore the headers, and make a clean 2.25" straight pipe with a universal muffler exhaust system, and probably 2 more internals work and you will see 200hp.

This is a top-end racing car, if your looking for 200hp at the wheels .. better have the money. And if your going to do an engine swap that requires new motor mounts and some major chassis modifications .. get the diamante motor and beef that baby up.

leadfoot
    that is QUAD? are you talkin vr4

Kain
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(leadfoot)</div><div class='quotemain'>that is QUAD? are you talkin vr4</div>

No, quad throttle bodies...the ultimate N/A mod (can be used w/ turbo, but really tricky.)

I thought Quad hd something to do with Subs and a riding the train....lol

Quad=4 throttle bodies

C.J. Cameron
    RETIRED TUNER!!!!

"Keeping it Simple"

leadfoot
    WOW damn that look's bad ass i likeit how much for the part what does it do and how much power gains can i expect from this? and where can i get one and one more thing i was going to ask what do you need to run this just the basic bolt on's? i/h/e/p

Kain
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(leadfoot)</div><div class='quotemain'>WOW damn that look's bad ass i likeit how much for the part what does it do and how much power gains can i expect from this? and where can i get one and one more thing i was going to ask what do you need to run this just the basic bolt on's? i/h/e/p</div>

Yeah, for that you're looking at spending a couple of thousand. It requires a stand-alone engine management to make it work. Vast fuel upgrades would also be called for. Hp gains are enormous, like in the realm of 100+ It completely eliminates the intake, what you see in the pic is where the air enters. Not a basic mod that you're gonna slap on in your driveway.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Kain)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(leadfoot)</div><div class='quotemain'>WOW damn that look's bad ass i likeit how much for the part what does it do and how much power gains can i expect from this? and where can i get one and one more thing i was going to ask what do you need to run this just the basic bolt on's? i/h/e/p</div>

Yeah, for that you're looking at spending a couple of thousand. It requires a stand-alone engine management to make it work. Vast fuel upgrades would also be called for. Hp gains are enormous, like in the realm of 100+ It completely eliminates the intake, what you see in the pic is where the air enters. Not a basic mod that you're gonna slap on in your driveway.</div>

your are right, this is not a basic bolt on.. This is a major upgrade, i have only seen it done once, and it was done on a WRX and the power gains were like in the 75hp+ range.. not including he was using the AEM stand alone fuel management system which runs about $1400, and 2 fuel pumps because the the TB's were just sucking up gas... ITs a kiler mod if you have the dough to do it right, something im thinking of doing when i get my turbo issues all settled..

NOSMAN7G
    Would this 4g63 fit in almost perfectly?? Its an AWD but can't I lock the tranny so it only does FWD?? I've come to the conclusion that if I get the 4g63 There will way more possibilites. Better aftermarket support ect. Plus this engine comes stock w/200 HP:) The swap shouldnt Cost all that much right? I plan to rebuild it my self and upgrade the turbo. What do you guys think?

NOSMAN7G
    Heres a better pic and better condition engine..lolhttp://www.ardperformance.com/cgi-bin/indexjd.pl?action=index

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast