The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Which synthetic?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 37

Which Synthetic Oil should I get?

Hey guys I need to know which synthetic is best for the money. Right now I use castrol syntec blend 5w30. However, I read it doesn't really do much compared to regular oil (trusted brands).

So I thought of going to full synthetic since my 8g is hitting the 78k mark (4g64). However, is it cost effective that I go this route or stick with the same oil i am using right now. I know synthetic is much more expensive, but is it worth the money?

I am curious to know what you guys use on your oil changes, so post up what you use.

Brands I am considering:
    Amsoil 5w30 (select places sell which is a downside)
    Mobil 1 5w30
    Castrol syntec 5w30
    Royal Purple 5w30

Let me know what you guys think thanks.

Also post what oil filter you use.

Brands I am considering:
    Amsoil 5w30 (select places sell which is a downside)
    Mobil 1 5w30
    Castrol syntec 5w30
    Royal Purple 5w30

i am personally not a fan of royal purple its pretty much advertised for fast and the furious fans in my opinion.

mobil is a bit too expensive in my opinion
    I use castrol but amsoil is fine too
    but it really isnt that needed a synthetic blend changed every 3-4k miles will keep your engine fine

im just anal about it i change the Gs oil every may before i put her back on the road so about ever 3500mi

AMSoil. Just buy it in gallons for cheap.

Mobil 1 5w30 whats what i just switched too
    00 Galant ES Turbo/5-Speed
    13 GTR

Im running the castrol syntec

Royal Purple 5w30 FTW!!!!!!!!!!!

You are here entirely tooo much!! 9G's Avatar
    i have the mobile 1 extended which i plan to use every 6 or so months.

Quote Originally Posted by a023785 View Post
    Royal Purple 5w30 FTW!!!!!!!!!!!
    do you like the fast and the furious? :-P

I use Castrol Syntec 5W30 and I'm very happy with it. It's not as costly as Mobil 1 or Royal Purple,,,or as hard to come by as Amsoil. Right now where I live a 5 quart jug is $25.50 and I think it's MORE than adequate for our motors.
    www.castrolsyntec.com

I took a shot and bought Amsoil we shall see how it performs. Thanks for you input guys.

lor_tek
    I used 10W30 Mobile 1 Fully Synthetic. Does this differ from 5W30 Mobile 1 Fully Synthetic? I know there is a difference, but by how much?

well the thickness of the oil is what changed I believe that the 5 and 10 is the viscosity of the oil when its cold and 30 is the thickness of it when its hot dont quote me on that. Its better to use heavier weights if you're leaking or burning but I switched to 10w30 when I hit 75k the truck is on 10w40 right now but I may switch to diesel truck oil since its still leaking.

My car has 142300 miles on it. Is it a good idea to switch to synthetic or to just stay with regular oil?

switch when you get around 145xxx

Quote Originally Posted by spardavr4 View Post
    My car has 142300 miles on it. Is it a good idea to switch to synthetic or to just stay with regular oil?
    SWITCH:mileage has nothing to do with it.

revival!! mileage has nothing to do with it but if hes leaking any or burning as higher milage usually has a chance to do.

Quote Originally Posted by 03-Galant-ES View Post
    revival!! mileage has nothing to do with it but if hes leaking any or burning as higher milage usually has a chance to do.
    I'm always looking to resurrect threads from the dead:D.
    If he's leaking at all it's from a bad seal somewhere,,,not the oil,,,and if he's burning he'll just have to all oil as necessary,,,,,doesn't matter whether it's synthetic or conventional,,if it's burning oil,,it'll continue to do so.

yeah synthetic cost more though and it doesnt change any thing about burning lol conventional is fine either way but especially if you're burning

Quote Originally Posted by 03-Galant-ES View Post
    yeah synthetic cost more though and it doesnt change any thing about burning lol conventional is fine either way but especially if you're burning
    True. If he's burning oil I'd stay w/conventional UNTIL the problem was fixed,,,,after that switch to synthetic, simply because conventional is cheaper if he's burning.
    Last edited by boochieboy; 03-27-2009 at 12:59 AM

You are here entirely tooo much!! Jeffylou87's Avatar
    I actually noticed a difference when I switched from conventional Quaker State 5W-30 to Royal Purple 5W-30. You can't say that Its in my head since I spent all of this money on it because I got it for free.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast