The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Which synthetic?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Showing results 21 to 37 of 37
    Quote Originally Posted by Legendary Galant View Post
    switch when you get around 145xxx
    Alright... You bump this thread plus you give absolutely nothing to this thread. At your mileage, I wouldn't switch. Please in the future, if you don't know a thing about what you're talking about - which you don't - do NOT post.

Your mileage has NOTHING to do with switching. Number one, don't give bad information if you are pulling it out of your ass, and two, I hope you have money to fix all the gasket leaks you just brought upon yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by a023785 View Post
    Royal Purple 5w30 FTW!!!!!!!!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by 03-Galant-ES View Post
    i am personally not a fan of royal purple its pretty much advertised for fast and the furious fans in my opinion.
    What the hell does advertising in FnF have to do with this subject? FnF had sponsors of a ton of good companies. 03-Galant - You just stated that you won't use a product because it was advertised in a movie. Have you ever thought about doing your own research?

RP is a GREAT company that makes GREAT oil and trans fluid - if you are racing on the track. Their trans fluid is amazing if you are making one or two passes down the lane. After that, it needs to be changed. A ton of race shops use RP for their track only, 1/4 mile only, cars. They make a great product.

But for a street application, I would not use it. Why? Its not because of FnF. Wow... Just do a little research before you post.

And this....

yeah synthetic cost more though and it doesnt change any thing about burning lol conventional is fine either way but especially if you're burning
    Do you actually know what synthetic is? Why would someone be burning oil? Bad seals, bad gaskets, yes... And also because of big molecules in regular dino juice.. and the small molecules.

Ugh. I'm tired and I'm done for tonight. Just please do not post about stuff which you haven't FULLY researched. You don't use a certain synthetic oil cause it was in FnF... Yikes. I hope you don't blow the welds off your intake manifold.

If you post stupid and incorrect information, you will get red nuggets.

I just want to add... If any of you feel, in any way, that I'm wrong in that post. Feel free to neg rep me. I did neg rep a couple of people for what they posted in this thread.

Don't post if you don't have a clue what you're talking about. Spreading wrong information on any car forum is a very bad thing.

You are only causing problems for people that have the same love for their car that you do.

Lol I was joking about the fast and the furious thing but I dont see a reason to use royal purple over any name brand synthetic.

Thanks for the neggy rep on a post that was posted before the rep system was even thought up you were the first negative.

And if you're burning oil it would be stupid to switch to synthetic unless you fix the problem thats what my post was about. Synthetic does not stop burning at all there is a reason your car is burning oil so putting synthetic in a car burning oil would only make it burn more oil. Most likely need to replace things seals. Dont tell me I dont know what I am talking about because you misinterpreted.

The fast and the furious thing was a joke. Royal Purple may be a good brand it may very well be a great brand, but for street apps which the user was asking about at 7$ a quart it is a waste of money when you can use castrol syntec which I have seen at like 5.50 a quart at my last oil change sure 1.50 isnt a big difference 6 bucks an oil change or so but there is honestly no point at all. The reason a lot of people switch to synthetic, I have seen at least, is because it is marketed as lasting 10k mile between changes where Mobil conventional is marketed at 5000 and Mobil blend is marketed at 7500, but I believe in changing your oil at most every 3000-3500 miles no matter what it prevents deposits from really ever happening and keeps your engine clean. A clean engine is a happy engine. So I wont blow the welds on my intake.
    Last edited by 03-Galant-ES; 03-26-2009 at 11:22 PM

Experienced TGC Member showtime's Avatar
    I just changed from conventional to mobile 1 full synthetic and i can tell there is a huge difference in how much quieter the engine is while in the lower RMP and the power seams to be slightly higher as well.

Mobil 1! Its simple...almost every high end car that comes of the line has Mobil 1 (including all Evo and Lancer Evolution).

Sure you will pay more but you can get oil that is rated for 7,500 to 15,000 miles which saves money in the long run.

Use this link and input your vehicle info:

http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/....aspx?option=2

Castrol Syntec

2004 Mitsubishi Galant GTS

And if you're burning oil it would be stupid to switch to synthetic unless you fix the problem thats what my post was about. Synthetic does not stop burning at all there is a reason your car is burning oil so putting synthetic in a car burning oil would only make it burn more oil. Most likely need to replace things seals. Dont tell me I dont know what I am talking about because you misinterpreted.
    I disagree fully as I just got rid of a Chevy with 272K because the transmission died and at about 120K I was going through 3 quarts of oil between oil change. I switched to Mobil 1 high mileage synthetic and by the time 270K rolled around I was only going through 1 quart of oil every 7,500 miles. High mileage oil has additives to swell seals to help repair and prevent more problems.

From the Mobil 1 website:

"Exhaust smoke that is visible after the engine has had a chance to warm up can often be due to engine oil that is burned during the combustion process (a tell-tale sign of this is a blue tinge to the visible smoke). Conventional oils are thermally less stable than synthetic oils, and are therefore more prone to burn-off during combustion. Using synthetic oils such as Mobil 1 should reduce the amount of oil that ends up in the exhaust stream, and therefore may help to reduce the amount of visible smoke."

Mobil 1 FTW :-D

Experienced TGC Member Dominicano's Avatar
    whether you have 20k or 200k on your car if you are leaking 1-3 quarts of oils between changes you need to fix that and no different type of oil can help really. I changed to synthetic after my car had about 12k miles on it and been using mobil 1 and never never ever have i had to add more oil after changing it every 3000 miles.

Quote Originally Posted by Dominicano View Post
    whether you have 20k or 200k on your car if you are leaking 1-3 quarts of oils between changes you need to fix that and no different type of oil can help really. I changed to synthetic after my car had about 12k miles on it and been using mobil 1 and never never ever have i had to add more oil after changing it every 3000 miles.
    Again...normally a vehicle burns oil due to worn seals and high mileage synthetic oils have additives to swell your seals thus fixing the problem if the seals are worn.

O1' and have used Mobil1 since 30K. Switched to Mobil 1 extended performance around 40k. I'm now at 50k and I think it easily worth the extra $$ for Mobil 1.

Lol I was joking about the fast and the furious thing but I dont see a reason to use royal purple over any name brand synthetic.
    Do NOT joke in the tech forums. Save that stupid shit for off topic. Joking or not, you sounded like a complete fool. If you were joking... then at least learn how to use the internet and put a wink smiley after you post.

Thanks for the neggy rep on a post that was posted before the rep system was even thought up you were the first negative.
    My neg rep won't be the last if you keep spouting off idiotic information.

Royal Purple may be a good brand it may very well be a great brand
    It is... please continue.

but for street apps which the user was asking about at 7$ a quart it is a waste of money when you can use castrol syntec which I have seen at like 5.50 a quart at my last oil change sure 1.50 isnt a big difference 6 bucks an oil change or so but there is honestly no point at all.
    I think you missed a peroid You made a run on sentence Also you forgot a period English owns you Ok lets move on

The reason a lot of people switch to synthetic, I have seen at least, is because it is marketed as lasting 10k mile between changes
    Who are you talking to about synthetic oil? I've never heard that as a reason to switch to synthetic oil. I will agree with you on one point - make sure you change your oil regularly to keep an engine running smooth.

Quote Originally Posted by krow View Post
    I disagree fully as I just got rid of a Chevy with 272K because the transmission died and at about 120K I was going through 3 quarts of oil between oil change. I switched to Mobil 1 high mileage synthetic and by the time 270K rolled around I was only going through 1 quart of oil every 7,500 miles. High mileage oil has additives to swell seals to help repair and prevent more problems.
    Good and CORRECT information is always appreciated. Switching to synthetic on a very high mileage vehicle can go both ways, depending on the engine. Sometimes synthetic will find those weaknesses, creep out and start to slowly leak. In this case it is usually engines that are already leaking through different gaskets. Some brands will help to seal and prevent leaks. You just have to do research on what brand of oil you are using.

So anyway, a noob (no offense krow) just owned 03-Galant-ES's ass. Positive rep for krow!

Quote Originally Posted by krow View Post
    Again...normally a vehicle burns oil due to worn seals and high mileage synthetic oils have additives to swell your seals thus fixing the problem if the seals are worn.
    Yes thats high mileage synthetic we were discussing just regular synthetic. Those same additives are in the high mileage conventionals as well so you may have noticed a similar change with the conventional as my regular conventional in my truck was like a quart every 3 weeks when I put in high mileage it didnt burn or piss out as much so you it was a good choice for high mileage synthetic or not. If you put in regular mobil 1 and it didnt leak as much I would consider myself owned like polish said but I understand the concept of high mileage oils.

Polish I dont have an issue with you, but to piss about a joke made 3 months ago in a thread revival where the kid already made his decision was a bit over the top.

I also read somewhere that Amsoil is not API(I believe) certified and it will void factory warranties. I am not 100% on this I looked on their site and couldnt find anything. But beyond 9G members we probably dont have to worry about Amsoil. Just a heads up look into it if you have a factory warranty and want to switch.

Quote Originally Posted by polishmafia View Post
    Do NOT joke in the tech forums. Save that stupid shit for off topic. Joking or not, you sounded like a complete fool. If you were joking... then at least learn how to use the internet and put a wink smiley after you post.
    I put a : and a p to mean sticking out tongue as a joke in response to "5w30 Royal Purple FTW!!"
    :p, but it looks like that sadly. Which looks a bit like a smile.
    Last edited by 03-Galant-ES; 03-27-2009 at 10:59 PM

mobile 1 10w30

The fast and the furious thing was a joke. Royal Purple may be a good brand it may very well be a great brand, but for street apps which the user was asking about at 7$ a quart it is a waste of money when you can use castrol syntec which I have seen at like 5.50 a quart at my last oil change sure 1.50 isnt a big difference 6 bucks an oil change or so but there is honestly no point at all. The reason a lot of people switch to synthetic, I have seen at least, is because it is marketed as lasting 10k mile between changes where Mobil conventional is marketed at 5000 and Mobil blend is marketed at 7500, but I believe in changing your oil at most every 3000-3500 miles no matter what it prevents deposits from really ever happening and keeps your engine clean. A clean engine is a happy engine. So I wont blow the welds on my intake.
    Yes thats high mileage synthetic we were discussing just regular synthetic. Those same additives are in the high mileage conventionals as well so you may have noticed a similar change with the conventional as my regular conventional in my truck was like a quart every 3 weeks when I put in high mileage it didnt burn or piss out as much so you it was a good choice for high mileage synthetic or not. If you put in regular mobil 1 and it didnt leak as much I would consider myself owned like polish said but I understand the concept of high mileage oils.

Polish I dont have an issue with you, but to piss about a joke made 3 months ago in a thread revival where the kid already made his decision was a bit over the top.

I also read somewhere that Amsoil is not API(I believe) certified and it will void factory warranties. I am not 100% on this I looked on their site and couldnt find anything. But beyond 9G members we probably dont have to worry about Amsoil. Just a heads up look into it if you have a factory warranty and want to switch.
    AMSoil has API certified oils, and will NOT void your factory warranty. Even if the engine suffered a failure as a result of the oil AMSoil (or any other oil company) will pony up the money to repair the problem. Why don't you research a provide proper information over incorrect information, or worse...hearsay.

http://www.syntheticwarehouse.com/api_licensing.htm

On the topic of 'high mileage' oils? There is nothing different over the additive package, and no reason to use a 'blend' or a 'high mileage' oil over a standard dino, or synthetic at any time. And synthetic trumps any regular dino oil at all times. The additive package is far more stable and keeps the engine protected from advanced stages of wear and heat stress for far longer.

I've stretched as far as 15,000 miles (AMSoil) on a single oil change without any issues whatsoever. In fact I'm on 7500 with my last change of Pennzoil Synthetic. I'm going to try Castrol or Royal Purple next. Also in point of fact there is less and less basis for changing every 3000 miles, especially such if the oil has a plainly better lasting additive package. You'd be wasting your money to buy the better oil, and change it every 3000 miles.

Quote Originally Posted by RedGalant2k1 View Post
    AMSoil has API certified oils, and will NOT void your factory warranty. Even if the engine suffered a failure as a result of the oil AMSoil (or any other oil company) will pony up the money to repair the problem. Why don't you research a provide proper information over incorrect information, or worse...hearsay.

http://www.syntheticwarehouse.com/api_licensing.htm

On the topic of 'high mileage' oils? There is nothing different over the additive package, and no reason to use a 'blend' or a 'high mileage' oil over a standard dino, or synthetic at any time. And synthetic trumps any regular dino oil at all times. The additive package is far more stable and keeps the engine protected from advanced stages of wear and heat stress for far longer.

I've stretched as far as 15,000 miles (AMSoil) on a single oil change without any issues whatsoever. In fact I'm on 7500 with my last change of Pennzoil Synthetic. I'm going to try Castrol or Royal Purple next. Also in point of fact there is less and less basis for changing every 3000 miles, especially such if the oil has a plainly better lasting additive package. You'd be wasting your money to buy the better oil, and change it every 3000 miles.
    How does your oil filter look? The oil could be fine but your filter could be shot after like 5k or 7k or 10k when you're going towards 15k. The reason I change every 3k is because I only drive about 3k a year I change my oil once a year at least no matter what.

And said I heard it wasnt API certified it was just a heads up if anyone was switching to look into it to be sure. Good info through the link though thanks for clearing it all up
    Last edited by 03-Galant-ES; 03-28-2009 at 11:23 PM

Quote Originally Posted by RedGalant2k1 View Post
    What Dave said.
    Thank you. FOb. ;)

And I don't have any issues with you, but I do have major issues with WRONG information that may spread to other members of our community.

New members that may join may not know the difference between actual information and a joke. So save that shit for off topic. The performance and mod forums are for good information.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12