The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Fixing the Manual Swap Codes

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 61

Fixing the Manual Swap Codes

Well have been working on cleaning up a few things, and am looking at a temporary fix (short of an ECU swap) to get rid of the codes that pop from the manual transmission swap. Can someone with an I4 Swap, and others who have also done the swap, verify/confirm the codes that are popped?

Here are the relevant codes that pop for me:
    P0743 Torque Converter Clutch Circuit Electrical
    P0753 Shift Solenoid A Electrical
    P0758 Shift Solenoid B Electrical
    P0763 Shift Solenoid C Electrical
    P0768 Shift Solenoid D Electrical

I'm guessing that the ECU is just looking for a certain voltage range for the different circuits, and if we can just provide a steady voltage to each, then the ECU would act as if all is well.

So far, from the service manual, the Torque Converter Clutch Circuit, and apparently all the Shift Solenoid Circuits should have a reading between 2.6ohms and 3.5ohms.

All the wires appear to be on connector B-38:
    Pin 3, Red, Under-Drive Solenoid Valve
    Pin 4, Red-Yellow, Second Solenoid Valve
    Pin 5, Blue, Overdrive Solenoid Valve
    Pin 6, Red-White, Low/Reverse Solenoid Valve
    Pin 7, Yellow-Red, Torque Converter Clutch Control Solenoid Valve

Underdrive Solenoid: Resistance between pins 3-9 should be at 2.7 - 3.4 ohms
    Second Solenoid: Resistance between pins 4-9 should be at 2.7 - 3.4 ohms
    Overdrive Solenoid: Resistance between pins 5-9 should be at 2.7 - 3.4 ohms
    Low-Reverse Solenoid: Resistance between pins 6-10 should be at 2.7 - 3.4 ohms
    Torque Converter Clutch Control Solenoid: Resistance between pins 7-10 should be at 2.7 - 3.4 ohms

Pins 9 and 10 appear to go to a power source.
    Last edited by DryBear; 01-09-2009 at 01:59 PM

Dude if you figured this out and made something or posted how to fix this you would be THE MAN!! I have to pay a emission testing employee 200 a year plus tags to get my tags renewed. Keep us posted with anything you find.

Someone who is swapped needs to just start trying things to replicate signals.
    2003 Dover White Mitsubishi Galant ES

1997 Tarmac Black Mitsubishi Eclipse GST

those were exactly the codes i got after the swap

Len resisters should work... thats how people were getting rid of the CEL's when doing the ecu swap before you could use ecuflash.

you could always just try one and see forsure
    Brandon - 2001 Galant GST 5speed
    Wiseco // Eagle // PTE // Holset // Turbonetics // Supertech // Blox // Prosport // Vibrant // Innovate // OpenEcu // Mishimoto // Magnaflow // Walbro // XXR // Rotora // Brembo // Hawk // R1 Concepts // Dc Sports

try a resistor with those ohms -- i find it easier to use a potentiometer and play with the resistor settings till the code disappears.. try wiring to ground with those ohms and see if it dissappears
    4g64DeT 1st evo ecu powered automatic (5 speed now baby)
    BIG 16G Boosted|custom dp|megan racing catback|Deleted Cat|stock dsm manifold|450cc Blues|190lph walbro|evo fuel rail + fpr|greddy type rs bov|evo uicp|Gen FMIC|Custom LICP|Evo cf hood|cf trunk|cyber body kit|motegi dp6 gunmetal 18"|AGXs|Tein S techs|14 psi |5 yrs boosted

Just go to radioshack and pick up some 3 ohm resistors and solder them on there. That should do it, right?

aint gonna work... i set way too many fires in my engine bay with that resistor crap.
    2.4L - AWD - 5SPEED - PTE 6057 at __PSI w/Wavetrac LSD

2000 ecu swap...

any extra modifications needed to swap a 2000 ecu into a 2002-2003?

02 Mit. Galant 5 Spd -> 2010 Mit. Lancer Sportback 5 Spd -> (current) 2014 Mit Evo GSR 5 Spd
    run1206's Rear Disc Tutorial
    run1206's CF Hood Resurface Tutorial

very few, not ecuflash compatable...

:( damn...
    there's gotta be some way to get this project to work while still being able to flash the ecu and no CELs....

02 Mit. Galant 5 Spd -> 2010 Mit. Lancer Sportback 5 Spd -> (current) 2014 Mit Evo GSR 5 Spd

Quote Originally Posted by GOOSEY2099 View Post
    aint gonna work... i set way too many fires in my engine bay with that resistor crap.
    too many fires?? from the resistors?
    2002 Mitsubishi Galant ES 2.4L 4G64 */* !!NEW!! 03 Honda CBR F4i
    * a little done -*- more to come *
    My Dual Halo H3 Projector Project

Don't start with me... when i see smoke in my engine bay i drop and roll then get up and put out the fire. j/k

But trust me on the fact that you don't really want to screw around with those wires.. They go straight to the ecu and a wrong resistor combo can possible burn something out. I was always able to eliminate 4 out 5 codes. Every time i put in the 5th resistor it smoked. So stop being cheap and ignorant and buy an evo ecu or a 2000 auto ecu. Come to think of it… I’m now pretty sure that you can run an auto ecu with the patch from flashbluers to convert it to evo. At least on the 02+. As for 01 and up you’d need to change the reluctor still. So if anyone really wants to try let me know.

You are here entirely tooo much!! fatal1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by run1206 View Post
    :( damn...
    there's gotta be some way to get this project to work while still being able to flash the ecu and no CELs....

could you possibly get a conversion harness of some sort ie boomslang or something? this way at least when it comes time for inspection you can just swap the ecu out a day early or something drive the required miles and get the test done... after which you just swap in the flashed ecu

unfortunately you would have the ses light on. you could always have a pocket obd logger or something in the trunk though if you feel somethings wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by fatal1 View Post
    could you possibly get a conversion harness of some sort ie boomslang or something? this way at least when it comes time for inspection you can just swap the ecu out a day early or something drive the required miles and get the test done... after which you just swap in the flashed ecu

unfortunately you would have the ses light on. you could always have a pocket obd logger or something in the trunk though if you feel somethings wrong.
    that's the next thing i was thinking of. i'm probably gonna save up to get the evo ecu cuz you're technically killing two birds with one stone (manual tranny ecu and extended maps for the turbo). I recall GOOSEY mentioned that some of the wires in the boomslang were incorrect (don't remember which pins were wrong).

GOOSEY: any links or additional info on that patch you were talking about?

so roman bc the 03 wont pass inspection with a 5 speed swap i need to use an 00 ecu. but cant flash it. but other than that just installing the 00 ecu and doing nothing else will cure the codes prob. Right? if so then screw the flash. just do the 00 ecu and tranny swap and then hold off for the evo motor then evo ecu. problem fixed.
    no longer a g owner.....:(

Soon to get another.....:)

idk if this has been talked about, but wouldn't the 02-up Eclipse M/T ECU and harness work with no code?? I have an 00 so I wont have a problem with CEL's after the swap and Im going to run the EVO ECU when I turbo anyway, but I am really curious as to waht the fix could be for the 02+ CEL's after the five-speed swap.
    Jigz-TGCIL Sosick Motorsports

R.I.P. Christopher "CRAZY CHRIS" Beckmann
    "you dont appreciate friendship until you lose your bestfriend...."
    I'd rather have the knowledge and ability to do it than the money to buy it already done.

Experienced TGC Member
    Whatever happened to the 500 or so Galants that came from the factory with the Manual Transmission?

Quote Originally Posted by 4g63lover View Post
    idk if this has been talked about, but wouldn't the 02-up Eclipse M/T ECU and harness work with no code?? I have an 00 so I wont have a problem with CEL's after the swap and Im going to run the EVO ECU when I turbo anyway, but I am really curious as to waht the fix could be for the 02+ CEL's after the five-speed swap.
    that's why i'm lookin for a EVO ecu currently:
    - has the turbo maps
    - helps with the 02+ manual swap problem

i'm curious about the Eclipse m/t ecu as well.... :?

Experienced TGC Member Dominicano's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 6G72Galant View Post
    Whatever happened to the 500 or so Galants that came from the factory with the Manual Transmission?
    it's a myth man

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast