The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Transmission question

Showing results 1 to 5 of 5
    Experienced TGC Member Galantfan88's Avatar

Transmission question

Ok guys it comes down to this on deciding what to do. Stay with auto or swap 5 speed? For the auto for my 2002 G I found a place that could rebuild the tranny and have fully built parts in it in order to handle 500 hp, but I have to pay 3,500 but get 700 back, dont know why. Or go with 5 speed swap but my only concern is how much hp can an 3g eclipse 5 speed handle? I hoping to hit 350-380 hp, and lets say I change flywheel and clutch and god only knows what else I would have to do. Can you guys give me alil hint on what to do??? Whats the cheapest way to go, also how much would it be for labor on doing the swap with 5 speed. Please guys help me out:(

With the autotranny u will loose some hp and the acceleration time is always 1sec or more slower with the auto. Most people here did the manual 5spd swap and seriously, are u shure ur gonna have 500hp in ur G? Im guessing u dont need a transmission stronger then a 200-350hp strong tranny ;)

Im not looking to run anywhere near 500hp, but try to atleast hit 350 most, but I would like to be careful and at least have a tranny thats able to handle that much power. What do you guys think, what would be the best and cheapest???

since youre in Jersey, my guess is you went to IPT? a lot of DSM guys have IPT transmissions and theyre happy. Maybe look on dsm forums for reviews. I dont thnk anyone on here has an IPT built tranny yet. I will probably get an auto from them once my tranny dies.

I checked out ipt and they build trannys for auto for like 3,800:( But im thinking what would be the cheapest and best. Another place I found builds auto trannys for like 2,800. Im just tryin to decide to stay auto or go 5 speed. What would be better to hold up and dosnt cost much.