The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Light out in climate control

Showing results 1 to 19 of 19

Light out in climate control

My 2002 Galant ES has a wierd thing going on. At night, with the lights on if I turn the temperature control lever the light behind it goes out, leaving it dark and also just the left half of the fan control is dark. The rest is lit. If I hit it on the side, the light comes back on.

Is there a light bulb that can be replaced? Is this usually what happens when a Light bulb starts to go, or does it sound like some sort of a loose wire or a short? Or, does the entire Climate control need to be swapped out because the bulbs can't be changed?

Either way, I would love some advice on how to remove the bezel and take out the climate control unit without hacking up the dash are breaking any unseen clips. Thanks!

I dont know but mines out too. I havent tried hitting it.....

I think the knobs come off then you pop the cover off and you will have total access. There is few members that replaced them with colored bulbs on her but didn't show how they did it. Mine is out too so that's on my to-do list
    '00 Mitsubishi Galant ES 4g64T (Samantha)
    '01 Mitsubishi Galant ES 4g64 (Daily)
    '02 Mitsubishi Galant ES 4g64 (SCRAPPED)
    '00 Mitsubishi Galant ES 4g64 (SCRAPPED)
    '91 Volvo 740 Turbo B230FT (SOLD)
    '88 Mitsubishi Mighty Max (SOLD)
    '91 Kawasaki ZX7 (SOLD)
    '95 Kawasaki ZX9R

Experienced TGC Member SleekGTZ's Avatar
    Yeah mines out too. I forgot what kind of bulb that was, I remember reading the bulb no. before here.

Mine had the same problem too. This happened after my car stereo was installed. Well, took the radio bezel off and you have to remove the connectors from the back of the climate control and put them back or just jiggle the connectors at the back a bit and it should start working, at least it's working for me now consistently.

I remember someone on here mentioned that these bulbs should fit -
    http://www.speedhut.com/product_deta...NUMBER-396.htm

But I'm not sure yet, I've ordered them and am going to try to replace them and see. Will keep everyone posted on the same.

my problem is not like yours tamim. My bulbs on the right side of it just simply died and needs to be replaced
    '00 Mitsubishi Galant ES 4g64T (Samantha)
    '01 Mitsubishi Galant ES 4g64 (Daily)
    '02 Mitsubishi Galant ES 4g64 (SCRAPPED)
    '00 Mitsubishi Galant ES 4g64 (SCRAPPED)
    '91 Volvo 740 Turbo B230FT (SOLD)
    '88 Mitsubishi Mighty Max (SOLD)
    '91 Kawasaki ZX7 (SOLD)
    '95 Kawasaki ZX9R

Oh no, I was actually referring to the hitting it on the side problem that the OP posted. I had that problem that got fixed when I fiddled with the climate control connectors.

The temperature knob and like half of the fan speed are out on mine as well. Another shitty mitsu part I suppose like their dashboards and intake manifolds

You are here entirely tooo much!!
    yeah mine does the same too but i found a temp fix and works every once in a while. try opening and smacking your glovebox closed, it works for me lmao.

Quote Originally Posted by IVORY_G View Post
    never pull out, always squeeze inside! LOL!

my climate control died immediatley after headunit install.

Experienced TGC Member showtime's Avatar
    dont the control knobs just pop off? how hard is it to change them?

im not sure why u guys are worried about the knobs. the bulbs are accessible from the back. even if you took the knobs out and the face, you'd still have to reach around back to access the size 73 bulbs.

Webhosting for less than $3 a month? put "pinoyesv6" as a promo code.

Experienced TGC Member showtime's Avatar
    thank you, i pulled off the knobs and didnt see anything... I was about to ask where they were

Experienced TGC Member jimmy_o2's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pinoyesv6 View Post
    im not sure why u guys are worried about the knobs. the bulbs are accessible from the back. even if you took the knobs out and the face, you'd still have to reach around back to access the size 73 bulbs.
    how we need pics pls
    03 I4

Quote Originally Posted by jimmy_o2 View Post
    how we need pics pls
    who are you trying to be? stevie wonder? look in the back of the unit and you will see 2 bulbs.

Webhosting for less than $3 a month? put "pinoyesv6" as a promo code.

hey guys do your look like this? my blacklight is out but in the right lighting I can still see the screen. I can still control aircon through the touch screen but no temperature. just fans etc

Hey thanks for all of the feedback. It looks like this is a workable problem. I'm going to try and look at it after the blizzard and the below zero temps pass this week.

Stay warm to all my friends in the midwest!

Quote Originally Posted by starh4x View Post
    hey guys do your look like this? my blacklight is out but in the right lighting I can still see the screen. I can still control aircon through the touch screen but no temperature. just fans etc
    Ours are manual controls actually. You can see a picture of it in this thread -

https://www.thegalantcenter.org/showthread.php?t=34112

Ah ok. Mine is fixed now. picked up a legnum aircon control unit from a wrecker for $50NZ

simple install. I ripped apart old unit and I didn't find any replaceable bulbs.