The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: OBX Turbos

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Showing results 21 to 40 of 65
    Experienced TGC Member Galantfan88's Avatar
    But isnt it better to be safe than sorry???

Its tru what you say but Im not sure how fast this kid wants to go. If hes looking at betting scions, some v6 motors, and stupid V-fuck Hondas, than by all means go ahead but when a WRX, some tricked out VW, or srt4 pulls up next to him than IDK he might get some exhaust on the front of his car. I rather have more power.....ummmmmmm tubo

You are here entirely tooo much!! Galanttuner10's Avatar
    i planned on turboing the stock motor until i got a great deal on a 2g cylinder head
    stock motors are suprisingly strong in our cars
    2014 Lancer Evo GSR
    1996 Galant S 5 Speed Turbo
    Need a Turbo rebuilt or upgraded--> http://www.thegalantcenter.org/showt...ebuild-Service

Quote Originally Posted by Galantfan88 View Post
    Its tru what you say but Im not sure how fast this kid wants to go. If hes looking at betting scions, some v6 motors, and stupid V-fuck Hondas, than by all means go ahead but when a WRX, some tricked out VW, or srt4 pulls up next to him than IDK he might get some exhaust on the front of his car. I rather have more power.....ummmmmmm tubo
    he seems like he just wants a turbo 4 now then upgrade it and he should just get a 14b to hold him over save up then do the head swap, get an 18g and swap the trannies while hes at it
    2014 Lancer Evo GSR
    Need a Turbo rebuilt or upgraded--> http://www.thegalantcenter.org/showt...ebuild-Service

Tru as I heard...thats why Galants ruuule, well my good friends I like to chat but work so im out PEACE

Im thinking of it from my view I did everything all at once. I have the money to build the whole car so i decided to build it as much as I can see what its capable of, just a matter of time b/c of work and school.

Im thinking of it from my view I did everything all at once. I have the money to build the whole car so i decided to build it as much as I can see what its capable of, just a matter of time b/c of work and school.
    i agree wit u 100% thats y ive been collecting parts for months and b4 i started collecting parts i reasearched for almost a year.. im holding off on the tranny swap cuz i put this tranny in like 5 months ago
    2014 Lancer Evo GSR

stock 4g64s are pretty strong, and pt looser's come turbo'd from the factory with a 4g64 so i dont think they have a problem with boost, plus not to mention all the members running stock turbo motors.

1996 galant s
    finishing up my 2.4L DOHC, 10.5:1, precision sc60, meth injected MONSTER.

You are here entirely tooo much!! 4-G-rim's Avatar
    Do you mean stock 4g64? If so people are running on 12-15...crazy basterds, but safly you could run 8 psi, untill you car gives up. I would think on putting stronger internals b4 doing this set up, theirs no point on turbocharging a car if your ganna spend all that money on tubo kit and tuning when not getting nothing out of it. If you ganna tubo a car be willing to spend b4 doing.
    I guess I am a crazy bastard...I have been running 10psi for years now and 12psi for a little over a year and my motor is still solid as the day prior to it be turbocharged. 200+ compression all across the board, no symptoms of bad piston rings, no overheating, etc etc.....if you know what you a doing and you understand what involves turbocharging, then turbo'ing a n/a motor will be no problem. Ask members like Peano, Laxwarrior, Phiz, and other members that have turbo'ed their stock 4G64's...or even me and all of ours setups haven't blown up or have given any major issues. We all have done our research and understand what turbocharging involves. Its not like a ricer that buys a gt35r and slaps it on a stock n/a motor and boosts the turd to 25psi with lacking supporting mods and blows his motor.

I see your point on "doing everything at once" ...build a big motor from the get go and be safe than sorry. Well if you don't understand and truly experience what a turbo car behaves, acts, and experience problems or issues it has...that big built motor is in essence just a lab rat for a experiment. All of the great DSM tuners started somewhere..and I bet you it was a stock turbo car or maybe turbo'ing a n/a motor. Thats the best platform to learn...start simple with the basics and graduate the learning curve as you gain more understanding on how it works w/o breaking your bank account. (Unless you are super rich and money to you is like coin change to us poor folk).

Unless you have personal knowledge and have a setup like turbocharged n/a motor....."Bench" advice about the topic has no credibility.
    Last edited by 4-G-rim; 01-14-2009 at 09:01 AM

1991 Galant VR4 1948/2000_________1996 Galant "S" 5 speed 2.4L turbo

Just incase when I said crazy basterds, im playing around as a joke, people have different views on how to deal with cars when it comes down to serious stuff like this. Some say Imma keep my motor stock cuz others did and did just fine, and they may understand what you need to do in order to turbocharge. But their are people like me that think hey putting forced induction in your motor is not a joke, and like to play it safe. I have a friend with an eclipse and cracked a piston and was running 10 psi. Unless he has the money...just incase the motor decides not to hold up than like I said by all means go ahead. I just believe its best to make the motor alil stronger in order to put alil more power into it. The crazy basterd part is a joke to the stock turbo people...laugh alil come on.

You are here entirely tooo much!! peanotation's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Galant306m
    stock 4g64s are pretty strong, and pt looser's come turbo'd from the factory with a 4g64 so i dont think they have a problem with boost, plus not to mention all the members running stock turbo motors.
    just because it's a 4g64 doesn't mean it's close to our 4g64. compression, piston makeup, timing, etc., these could be all different. there are literally hundreds of factors that could make the PT cruisers' 4g64 different from ours.

i beat two SRT4s and barely pulled on a modded WRX with my 13g @ 8psi. ran 50k miles with the turbo before i had to pull it to pass smog for the state ref, still have great compression across all cylinders at 194K miles on the same, original, stock motor.

just because you had a friend who cracked a piston doesn't mean he knew what he was doing, in fact it proves he didn't know at all.

if someone on this board is asking about turbos, and neither of you have the experience or the real knowledge to backup the advice, don't go suggesting motor builds with turbo which is 100x more complicated than turboing just a stock motor. that's like saying you want bright headlights and then someone suggesting you run HPS lights with 200amp ballasts connected to massive relays with giant lever switches, blah blah blah....you get the idea.
    Last edited by peanotation; 01-14-2009 at 10:03 AM
    http://socallifestyle.com/

1994 Galant GS 5spd

Alriiight lets relax now, no need to get you balls all tangled up now.... The dude is asking for advise from people. The best bet is looking at what poeple are saying so he may think to himself and make a choice what he wants. Im not telling him to do it like I said for the 5th time by all means go ahead, im giving advise not telling him. As far as it goes for my friend im not putting it all just b/c on one car, its something called an example not sure if you know what that is. Its to show or give him alil something in his mind to think about b4 doing. Me and my friends done many cars we just got done doing his mustang and we didnt fuck up, it runs fine and rapes every one on the road. The whole point of this is to get peoples advise and see what others say. Thats why im here, like I said b4, everyone thinks diff on how to do a motor when it comes down to turbo charging it. Either you keep it stock and people may say ok lets go for a ride and race people, and others like to build it and make it strong and fuck some cars up. Blah blah blah...you get the idea. Ask any performance shop they will tell you how it is Im done here. Didnt think it was such a bother to shar an idea

Quote Originally Posted by peanotation View Post
    just because it's a 4g64 doesn't mean it's close to our 4g64. compression, piston makeup, timing, etc., these could be all different. there are literally hundreds of factors that could make the PT cruisers' 4g64 different from ours.
    I know was just kinda mentioning that motor, in response to galantfan.

1996 galant s
    finishing up my 2.4L DOHC, 10.5:1, precision sc60, meth injected MONSTER.

yeah and i do come because i love my 7G and like i said before were i live is nuitting but vtec boys around here but i do get respect from alot of them and some are friends some are not. I think about 4 or 5 months ago kid and his friend pull next to me in like a 1.6 civic v-tech and for me i dont give a shit what you have i will run you. So i hit it and i was pulling on him bad mine you i have a shock car just with 3A Racing Muffler and Intake. But like last night i race my other friend in a 02 MAX 3.0 v6 i got the jump on him but he pass me and call me up and said ant when you go turbo you going 2 be hard to past..

Well xxl4g64 I wish you goodluck in your car, but getting back on track to your question. Dont get OBX turbo after a good couple thousand miles it will fall apart on you. Look at turbonetic, they have pretty good turbos.

Quote Originally Posted by XXL4G64 View Post
    yeah and i do come because i love my 7G and like i said before were i live is nuitting but vtec boys around here but i do get respect from alot of them and some are friends some are not. I think about 4 or 5 months ago kid and his friend pull next to me in like a 1.6 civic v-tech and for me i dont give a shit what you have i will run you. So i hit it and i was pulling on him bad mine you i have a shock car just with 3A Racing Muffler and Intake. But like last night i race my other friend in a 02 MAX 3.0 v6 i got the jump on him but he pass me and call me up and said ant when you go turbo you going 2 be hard to past..
    i have to agree about it being all hondas but they dont all have vtech.. in waterbury they all spray.. but trust me i earn their respect as all my buddies r in the same car club and my boy is his sentra spec v all done up had trouble out runnin me.. head swap and a turbo should fix that tho.. u should come down 2 waterbury friday night.. we meet at the wendys where the old mall used 2 be
    2014 Lancer Evo GSR

Quote Originally Posted by Galanttuner10 View Post
    i have to agree about it being all hondas but they dont all have vtech.. in waterbury they all spray.. but trust me i earn their respect as all my buddies r in the same car club and my boy is his sentra spec v all done up had trouble out runnin me.. head swap and a turbo should fix that tho.. u should come down 2 waterbury friday night.. we meet at the wendys where the old mall used 2 be
    o word i be off fridays not this week little 2 cold lol...and i talk to the guy in easthartford he going to sell me a 14b with manifold j-pipe old lines for like $175 he said other things to but i forgot

well we will b down there if u chanbe ur mind.. and check the condition of the 14b b4 u get it like the fins and how it spins.. spin it and listen if its rubbing.. i know a guy u can get 1 for 80 bucks he lives in vernon and mani u can get 4 50 bucks and its a 2g mani that flows a bit better than the 1g mani and i say get all new lines as then u know there r no hard spots or rotting and the lines r better if they r for a 2g as well
    2014 Lancer Evo GSR

yeah the turbo was little f-up but nuitting to bad you know

c thats the thing.. wut was messed up on it and how easily did it spin.. any noise while spinning? did u check the shaft play? how bent were the fins? and did u ask him if the seals are blown of if it leaks nething? do u know that it was eworkin the last time he had it on his sar?

did u ask and/or check all these things? cuz they r a must check.. dont get ripped off man.. check around 2 c if there r better deals out there
    2014 Lancer Evo GSR

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast