The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: '09 Galant front and rear speaker install guide

Showing results 1 to 11 of 11
    rocgalant

'09 Galant front and rear speaker install guide

So I installed 2 pairs of Polk db651s in the front and rear. Sorry no pics, I did it at a local car wash at night and I only had my camera phone so the pics were terrible. Anyway, without further adu--

Tools- Phillips screwdriver, 10mm socket, socket wrench, pliers (optional for the rear deck), wire harness (allows plug and play- get a Toyota wire harness), flathead screwdriver (optional to remove a couple of clips on the front doors), time-

It took me about 2 hours only because I struggled figuring out the front doors without breaking stuff and I had to use adapter plates for the front and back, which took time to set. If you use the standard sizes- 5 1/4" front and 6x9 in the rear, then you can cut time.

**Disconnect the negative battery terminal and secure it safely! Use the 10mm socket wrench for this. I took a hand towel and wrapped the terminal in the hand towel but you can do whatever safely works for you.

Front speakers- easy but is annoying.
    1. Roll the windows down.
    2. Screw locations- in the pocket on the arm rest, underneath the door handle, at the bottom where the door closes (you will see a plastic clip there- take a flathead screwdriver or your fingernails to remove), and near the middle where the door closes (you will see a red plastic piece that you car use a flathead or your fingernails to remove. Be careful- you don't want to break it off!).
    3. There are grip points underneath the doors where you can just grab and begin pulling the the door away from their fasteners. A lil elbow grease is required.
    4. Once you pull all the fasteners, the door will still be held in place at the top where the window is. It's a little hard to describe, the top of the door is sort of hooked in place there. I used the flathead to sort of pull it up then the rest comes off.
    5. Disconnect the window harnesses.
    6. Set the doors aside.
    7. Unplug the speaker harness, unscrew the speakers, remove the speakers.
    8. Place new speakers, screw speakers in place, connect the speaker harness and window harnesses.
    8. Before putting everything back together, test the speakers to make sure they work! If you are replacing both front and back or doing any other wiring, wait until you have everything wired before putting everything back together.
    9. Replace the door, replace the screws, etc.
    Done.

Rear speakers- extremely easy. On the rear deck, the speakers are held by fasteners.
    1. You can just pull the grille right off. A little easier if you have two people- have one person gently squeeze the fasteners with a pair of pliers from inside the trunk while you pull the grille off from inside the car.
    2. The speakers are secured by 4 phillips screws. Use the socket wrench, attach a phillips head drill bit to the socket wrench and get to work. The rear deck is a little annoying because the rear window slopes you can't use a normal size screwdriver.
    3. Disconnect the harness.
    4. Pull the speakers out.
    5. Place the new speakers in, connect the harness, screw the new speakers in.
    6. Before putting everything back together, test the speakers to make sure they work! If you are replacing both front and back or doing any other wiring, wait until you have everything wired before putting everything back together.
    7. Replace the grille. NOTE- each grille has two black thingys that stick out (I guess they help hold the grille in place- you will see it when you look at the underside of the grille). Be careful because I broke mine off really easy when I was pulling the grille back on.
    Extremely quick and easy.

PM me if you have questions.:p
    Last edited by rocgalant; 01-15-2009 at 07:25 AM

rocgalant

How to install speakers for '09 Galant

This was very helpful. Thanks. Found this using search.
    I wanna be a Billionaire... so freakin' bad...

looks great. Im looking to upgrade my speakers real soon. Im glad i came across this write up, because i was going to get it installed at some shop, maybe best buy or something. But i dont really feel like spending extra money towards something i can do myself. And that link didnt work by the way.

Also, i was wondering, what kind of speakers are u using? How are they compared to the factory speakers? I have a kicker 07s12l7 w/ a 750w amp from my previous mitsu, its just sitting down in my basement, i wanna put it in my G but im still contemplating on what speaker/amp/head unit combo to buy. Any recommendations?

rocgalant
    Happy to help

rocgalant
    Quote Originally Posted by flipztarrr View Post
    And that link didnt work by the way.

Also, i was wondering, what kind of speakers are u using? How are they compared to the factory speakers? I have a kicker 07s12l7 w/ a 750w amp from my previous mitsu, its just sitting down in my basement, i wanna put it in my G but im still contemplating on what speaker/amp/head unit combo to buy. Any recommendations?
    Seriously, if you have an inclination to do it yourself, it's extremely easy. You can used the money you saved on some better speakers or a headunit or whatever. And sorry bout the link. I don't even remember what that linked to now. As for my speakers, as I wrote, I put in Polk db 651s (s stands for shallow. They make a non-'s' version but I got s to make sure they'd fit in the doors). in the front and back. They came with back plates so I could secure the plate to speaker hole screw the speakers into the plates. It was needed for both front and rear speakers. I decided after a couple months that my bass was awful as you might expect with 4 6.5" speakers. So I sold my rears and picked up Polk mmc 690s for the rear. Major difference in the bass output and I didn't need the plates in the rear anymore. A little later, I decided I needed to get a little louder and crisper, so I picked a power acoustik OV4-840 amp. Major difference in loudness and clarity. Don't have a sub. I thought about it for a while but I haven't made the jump. Had my current setup since Feb 09. Not sure if I'll add a sub at this point.

I recently got a [air of Alpine SPR 69C 6X9s for my rear deck and the stock speakers are connected with some kind of plastic harnes that a few wires go into. Mine has the rockford fosgate system and If there were just two wires I could open them up and connect to the new ones but don't know what this plastic thing is. Could you tell me how you connected the wires?

^ If you haven't figured this out (you may have), you may wanna post pics so we can see what it is you're referring to as "the plastic thing"

i think he is speaking of the speaker wires that go from the head unit back to the stock speakers has a plug which plugs into the speakers, i ran into the same problem. I was going to strip the plug off and just plug in directly but i didn't know how to figure out which was positive or negative, so i just returned the speakers.

Thread revival ftw....For anyone doing a speaker swap that needs adapters, here they are

Is anyone fairly knowledgeable for the sound systems? I bought a new headunit and within a few months, all the speakers except for the front driver stopped working. I have a Rockford system