The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Tire Rub Issue for 18s

Showing results 1 to 18 of 18

Tire Rub Issue for 18s

I have some 18s I just put on my I4. Its rubbing on the rear driver side. Only in sharp turns, and when the car is weighed down with more than 2 people. I've read other posts suggesting a wheel alignment. However, every place I call and tell them about this problem, they tell me they won't touch it. So what really should I do? The mitsubishi service department says I should put back my original tires to avoid drive-train damage, which really scared the shit out of me. Like I said before, it only rubs on the rear driver-side tire. What should I do? Any suggestions?
    Come visit the Revolution: http://www.dsmrevolution.net

Senior TGC Member
    Actually the Galant is notorious for having a low backend with weight. Car and Driver constantly bottomed out in the rear. I dunno...you could live with the scraping, that's one option...but that drivetrain warning probably doesn't apply. You're sticking with your O.E. specs, just have a bigger wheel, don't see how that would kill the drivetrain (unless they mean the rotational mass is higher which in my experience most aftermarket 18s weigh less than the factory 16 stainless steels on my car).
    "Daisy tumbled short of his dreams, not through her own fault, but because of the colossal vitality of his illusion... No amount of fire or freshness can challenge what a man will store up in his ghostly heart. " - F. Scott Fitzgerald, The Great Gatsby

"I have not failed 700 times. I have not failed once. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work." - Thomas Edison

You need to roll your fenders.
    Love,
    Matt

Yeah you might have to roll them Justin. You are running 18X8. Most people with 18's are running 18X7.5.

Jason

www.edelhausrottweilers.com

Drama? I handle 150lb rotties all day, I can handle your drama...

It doesn't say you have aftermarket suspension....So I assume you have your 18s on your stock suspension....Well if you get aftermarket ones, I guarantee you won't rub because it will be much stiffer.........

But if you do have aftermarket suspension already, ignore this post.....
    2001 Galant ES I4
    Injen RD CAI
    Kamikaze Headers
    Brospeed Prosport Muffler
    Brembo X-drilled/Slotted Rotors
    Progress Springs
    KYB AGX Adjustables
    Racing X Headlights
    Smoked Tails
    Custom Grill
    Titanium Limo Tint
    MOMO Shift Knob
    Tenzo R Mean-6 18"
    JBL 600.1
    2 JL 12W3 D4 in topfire custom box

My ride: http://photos.yahoo.com/nrg_neo

No he is still running on stock. He just got the rims.

Jason

www.edelhausrottweilers.com

Drama? I handle 150lb rotties all day, I can handle your drama...

clue me in on this rolling the fenders. I also found out through a little research that I have unidirectional tires. And right now the directions are conflicting. I'll fix that today. Is that maybe a contributing factor also?

if u put ur hand on the wheel well, u can see it has a lil lip on the fender. tucking the fender pretty much means mending that lip in so u have a lil bit more clearance.

Webhosting for less than $3 a month? put "pinoyesv6" as a promo code.

I took out my spare and I don't scrub anymore. I'm thinking of taking out the back seats and putting the spare in the empty spot, rally style. Dunno yet. But thanks guys, I'll probably just roll the fenders until I save up some money to do coilovers or progress springs. Thanx for the responses.

Quote Originally Posted by Outlawzcc
    No he is still running on stock. He just got the rims.

Jason
    so what size tires are u using? if ur at stock height, lowerign ur car would jsut make it worse...

they're 18x8s. I wanna lower the front, but don't wanna lower the back. But damn, I gotta do something to raise the back a little. Do rolled fenders look crappy?

No they dont look crappy.

It makes it so that the wheel is able to tuck in that lip that you currently have.

I just find it odd that your on stock height and are rubbing. I am lowered and I only rub when I have three people in the car. And that only happens when I hit a good size bump and I get the bounce effect.
    Love,
    Matt

Experienced TGC Member Dominicano's Avatar
    does the wheel in the back stick out? maybe the offset if not correct if your wheels are not flush and sticking out, your offset is the culprit. what rims did you get?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Ryostyle)</div><div class='quotemain'>they're 18x8s. I wanna lower the front, but don't wanna lower the back. But damn, I gotta do something to raise the back a little. Do rolled fenders look crappy?</div>

the rolled fenders don't look crappy if u do a good job. there are special tools used to roll ur fenders. but if ur homeboy just breaks out his baseball bat and rolls ur fenders for 5 dollars, then most likely its gonna look crappy

Senior TGC Member
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(PinoyESV6)</div><div class='quotemain'>
    the rolled fenders don't look crappy if u do a good job. there are special tools used to roll ur fenders. but if ur homeboy just breaks out his baseball bat and rolls ur fenders for 5 dollars, then most likely its gonna look crappy</div>

Man I can't get over that one :laughing: Better yet, have a courtesy fender rolling session by ticking off the wrong guy...
    "Daisy tumbled short of his dreams, not through her own fault, but because of the colossal vitality of his illusion... No amount of fire or freshness can challenge what a man will store up in his ghostly heart. " - F. Scott Fitzgerald, The Great Gatsby

"I have not failed 700 times. I have not failed once. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work." - Thomas Edison

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rallifan)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(PinoyESV6)</div><div class='quotemain'>
    the rolled fenders don't look crappy if u do a good job. there are special tools used to roll ur fenders. but if ur homeboy just breaks out his baseball bat and rolls ur fenders for 5 dollars, then most likely its gonna look crappy</div>

Man I can't get over that one :laughing: Better yet, have a courtesy fender rolling session by ticking off the wrong guy...</div>

actually thats a djplay tutorial from the old TGC....

lol, okay you guys got jokes. lol. I got some american racing rims. As for what type. I have no clue. I got em free off my boy when his eclipse got repo'd. Maybe I should have gotten some japanese racing rims....lol. I think the rims might be funky, cuz my boy says they rubbed on his eclipse sometimes. But like I said before, it only rubs on the rear driver side. It could because I have a heavy exhaust muffler. After I've taken out the spare and cleared my trunk it no longer rubs. But I haven't filled the car with more than 2 people again. So I dunno if it'll rub again. but somethin still feels wrong, I'm wondering if I have a weak spring. Feels like at times the car teeter totters.

First off, the dealer that told you it's gonna ruin your drive train is full of it; it is highly unlikely. And you still have your stock suspension which is another reason why it may be a tell-tale sign that your stock shocks are gone now; the stock height should give you plenty of clearance as the stock gap is HUGE. If you have 30k or more on them, you might want to consider aftermarket ones to make it stiffer and not necessarily for a drop as it's already rubbing. Your offset is probably not deep enough too but it did come off an Eclipse but who knows. 18x8's should not be a problem unless your tires are wider than 225.

[size=10]<span style='color:white'>. . . .</span>