The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Wheels with tax refund...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Showing results 21 to 40 of 50
    Quote Originally Posted by BGR View Post

I bought these 3 piece Racing Hart C's (the first series), with custom chrome lip, from a ex-friend of mine for $1000+ a computer I built for him (a hand me down basically). That was 8 years ago; No tires included.. These are 18 x 8 and I had to put the wheels together, one rivet at a time with loctitie on each nut and I had to put silicone on the inside to seal the wheels. Pain in the ass. Two of the wheels leaked (because I didn't wait long enough for the silicone to cure) and I haven't put them back on since the Vegas meet in 2002. Thankfully, I never curbed these wheels. I tried selling them, wheels only, for $600, and kept getting low bids and shit.
    i remember your RACING HART C's from when we chilled in vegas bro. i always wondered why you never rolled them after that? you could probably get them re-sealed for cheap! those are awesome wheels which are pretty OG now.

PM sent
    OZ Rally Crew #001, Quaife Club member :D

Experienced TGC Member showtime's Avatar
    by the way BGR, thanks for understanding a poor 20 year old college kid!

Quote Originally Posted by showtime View Post
    I'm twenty, in college and I just bought myself these rims with Continental tires.

You can do it if you save up. It's worth the wait.

Quote Originally Posted by Reelax View Post
    i remember your RACING HART C's from when we chilled in vegas bro. i always wondered why you never rolled them after that? you could probably get them re-sealed for cheap! those are awesome wheels which are pretty OG now.
    Thanks. Remember I had to keep stopping to refill the tire with air? I even had to stop at a gas station when we were cruising the strip. LOL. But yeah, they're old school alright. I read somewhere that these were the first of the web-style wheels (not the BBS or Enkei 92's style of the 80's) and every other wheel you see now (including Work wheels) copied this style. Regarding getting them re-sealed, nobody wanted to touch them. I called several places in town.
    On one of my current ADR's, well, the one I replaced, I got a flat and the inner rim/lip portion got slightly bent. I called around to see if I can get it repaired. One shop said $160. Another said $200. I ended up buying a new rim for $128 instead of risking driving on a bent rim.

It's not difficult putting the silicone on, it's just a pain in the ass scraping the old stuff off. My problem was that I wanted to get these wheels on ASAP for the Vegas meet and I only let the silicone set for 2 days before I put the tires on and it never cured and leaked air. This time around, I'm going to seal them and let them sit for a month or two before I have the tires put on. Since the Sentra's now rolling, I can now focus on working on the G. I just can't believe that when I tried selling them, all the low-ball bids I was getting. I'm glad I didn't sell them. (They're currently not for sell)

No problem. But hey, you aren't so poor that you couldn't afford a Galant. At least you didn't pay as much as Reelax or me when we bought brand new. IIRC, Reelax paid something like $28,000 for his Galant back in 98. Mine ended up costing close to $35,000 after financing (including a 2nd loan I took out and used the car as collateral).

^ Jesus, are you serious on the prices, why so much, were your cars fully loaded, we bought my car brand new at the end of 99, and it didn't cost nearly that much.

Quote Originally Posted by greddy View Post
    ^ Jesus, are you serious on the prices, why so much, were your cars fully loaded, we bought my car brand new at the end of 99, and it didn't cost nearly that much.
    The retail price, or the sticker price was $22,500. Add tax, license, and other fees, it came out to something like $24,600. I had "talked" the guy down from $23,700 or something crazy like that. I said, "The sticker shows $22,500 and that is what I'm willing to pay". I don't know why he was trying to jack up the price even more. Anyhow, my credit union financed it for 7.25% for 60 months. It's late and my math sucks, but trust me, it was something like $29,5xx when I made my last payment. Shortly after I paid it off, I had taken out a loan with a company (American General Finance) and used the car as collateral. It was a $3000 loan, but after finance charges and whatnot, that loan ended up being over $6000. So, considering I had to give them the Pink slip, which meant I was still making "payments" on the Galant, it now cost me over $35,000. I still have 2 payments to go before I get my pink slip back. I would have paid it off a couple years back, but I quit making payments a while back and just recently started making payments, pretty much from the beginning balance, back in Nov 07.

When I got the car, I got it on the 0 down, 0 finance, No payments until 2001 (I bought it in Nov 99). So I basically got a car for free and drove it for 4 months and had it refinance with my credit union for a lower rate. Mitsubishi finance was 10.15%. The money came straight out of my paycheck as it was my work's credit union that did the financing.

Reelax on the other hand, that was the best deal he could get at the time, IIRC. I originally wanted to get the Eclipse GT, but at the time, they would not sell for anything less than $26,000 and that was before markup. Now, I can get a GT for about $6000 or less. F'n amazing.

i would rock these and they are cheaper than the set you posted

wow, ours was around 18000 new, basic es 4 cylinder, all told we paid maybe 22000 in the end, we got it financed through my mom's credit union @ work, so it worked out well.

Quote Originally Posted by greddy View Post
    wow, ours was around 18000 new, basic es 4 cylinder, all told we paid maybe 22000 in the end, we got it financed through my mom's credit union @ work, so it worked out well.
    Yeah, but Reelax and I have the V6. The I4's were much cheaper.

I am getting new wheels with my tax refund, I want these wheels from discount tire (dont know if I'll order them from there but thats where I found them) Here is the link:

http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/fin...5037&rc=AZEINT

My question is: Are 18x7 to skinny? Its the same width (I believe) as the stock wheels. I know a lot of people rock 18x7.5, is there a major performance difference?
    I just remembered something. You may want (I strongly suggest) to get some hubcentric rings for your new wheels.

Info: http://www.1010tires.com/hubrings.asp

Quote Originally Posted by VIPtint View Post
    i would rock these and they are cheaper than the set you posted
    I like those, where did you find them?

[QUOTE=BGR;462035]I just remembered something. You may want (I strongly suggest) to get some hubcentric rings for your new wheels.

what size? I'm eventually getting KYB's and teins, will I need a different size with a drop?

[QUOTE=showtime;462064]
    Quote Originally Posted by BGR View Post
    I just remembered something. You may want (I strongly suggest) to get some hubcentric rings for your new wheels.

what size? I'm eventually getting KYB's and teins, will I need a different size with a drop?
    The rings have nothing to do with the suspension. Visit that website I posted above for more info on hubcentric rings.

Different wheel manufactures may have different outside diameter (O.D.) sizes, however, the inside diameter (I.D.) of our Galant is 67.10mm. You may have to contact the wheel manufacturer if the size is not listed elsewhere.

My ADR wheels have an O.D. of 73mm, so I went to Ebay and searched for "hubcentric rings 73mm 67.10mm" and found them for $10.

when I bought wheels from discount tire online, they sent anodized blue alum hubcentric rings. looked very nice.

GREEN is the new BLACK

Experienced TGC Member

[img]http://www.discounttire.com/product/wheels/drad9.brs.ang.jpg[/img]

Quote Originally Posted by RedGalant2k1 View Post
    These are nice...
    Gram Lights 57Optimise

The wheels look pretty similar to me. It seems as if alot of members around here prefer wheels made by certain companies. And thats cool. But not everyone wants to drop $500 per wheel. Buy wheels that suit your needs. If you want performance, buy smaller, lightweight wheels from a reputable company. If you want looks, buy whatever wheels fancy your eyes. Your choices arent limited to just Volk, Asanti, and Works. These days wheel varieties are a dime a dozen.

Dont let big ballaz like Reelax intimidate you. Ive been here for a few years, and after seeing/hearing about the money hes spent on his Galant for high end parts...im wondering why the hell he chooses to own a Galant and not a Bentley lol

I will admit though, some high $$$ wheels look far better than the cheaper styles. I have these...

and just might possibly upgrade to one of these...

Last edited by 6G72Galant; 01-24-2009 at 06:40 AM

thanks 6G72. I like those 5 spoke chrome TSW's, those look real good. I'll have to shop around and see whats out there. I appreciate every ones help. NOW my next question, what brand of tire do you guys prefer? I have goodyear eagle GT's right now and they are alright but pretty loud

You are here entirely tooo much!! RAZ_76's Avatar
    Damn! You guys paid a fortune for your Galants. I bought my first one in 1999, when it first came out, brand new. I4 ES for 13,500.

SHOWTIME:

Check out eBay dude. They have great deals sometimes on wheel and tire packages.

^yeah, ray is right, I'm bidding on a set of slighlyt used 18 X 7.5 volks right now and it's only up to 700 with no reserve.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast