The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: High Compression Boost?

Showing results 1 to 16 of 16

High Compression Boost?

I'm not sure that I understand why people say that you can't make the hp gains running high static compression with the gains that a low compression higher boost application can make. I mean isn't a 10:1 motor with 2psi of boost still 167psi chamber pressure at TDC, while a 8:1 with 6.1psi also 167psi? Doesn't that mean that equal displacement engines, will make the same amount of net power? The fuel is still being compressed to the same pressures at the same air/fuel ratio. Help please.

You are here entirely tooo much!! 4-G-rim's Avatar
    compression is how tightly packed the air is in the engine. say your engines compression ratio is 10:1(10 to 1). this means that the pistons compressed the air/fuel mixture 10 times its original pressure. the higher the preesure, the more excited the molecules get, resulting in a more violent explosion.

this is why low compression pistons are used in turbo engines. the air pressure going in is already pretty high, so if the pistons compress it anymore, it could explode prematurely, causing a condition known as "knock". this is bad, because it will cause the piston to move the opposite way when it is not supposed to causing your engine to go BOOM. so not only do you use lower compression pistons, you use a higher octane fuel. a fuels octane rating is its resistance to burn, so a higher octane fuel also helps in preventing knock.

Though this is not saying you can't build a high compression turbo motor...it just takes a bit more tuning and the right parts too. My friend was able to make 600awhp on his Galant VR4 on a fully built 4G63 with 10:1 custom made pistons with a GT35r at only 23lbs of boost.

1991 Galant VR4 1948/2000_________1996 Galant "S" 5 speed 2.4L turbo

It's about the proper combination of parts and a very good tune. You can have the best tuner in the world but have complete and utter failure if you didn't select the correct part combination.

9:1 is a great street engine for boost. You don't sacrifice off boost performance and it will perform great under boost.

Make sure you are doing your calculations. Just because a piston manufacturer says a piston is 9:1 doesn't mean it will actually be so in your car. Head swaps greatly affect static CR depending on the combustion chamber volume. Thicker head gaskets and shaving of the block and head can also affect your CR.

Do the math or your CR is just a guess.
    Greg
    ---------
    '01 Stratus R/T - 5spd, 92 3000GT VR4, 03 EVO VIII, 70 Opel GT

Owner - Ultimate Car Style & Performance www.ucsperformance.com 240.271.0280

2007 N.A.S.A National Champions TTR Class!

You are here entirely tooo much!! Galanttuner10's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PharmEcis View Post
    It's about the proper combination of parts and a very good tune. You can have the best tuner in the world but have complete and utter failure if you didn't select the correct part combination.

9:1 is a great street engine for boost. You don't sacrifice off boost performance and it will perform great under boost.

Make sure you are doing your calculations. Just because a piston manufacturer says a piston is 9:1 doesn't mean it will actually be so in your car. Head swaps greatly affect static CR depending on the combustion chamber volume. Thicker head gaskets and shaving of the block and head can also affect your CR.

Do the math or your CR is just a guess.
    alright continuing on track here,, its good to know that 9.0 is a good cr.. and yes the head swap changes the cr but these pistons are made for the 64 block with the 7bolt 63 head so it should be almost spot on

and to straighten things out you can boost a high compression motor but it wont be as efficient as a lower compression motor especially when running a larger turbo.. correct?
    2014 Lancer Evo GSR
    1996 Galant S 5 Speed Turbo
    Need a Turbo rebuilt or upgraded--> http://www.thegalantcenter.org/showt...ebuild-Service

Galanttuner are you factoring the difference in compression from the 63 to the 64?

1996 galant s
    finishing up my 2.4L DOHC, 10.5:1, precision sc60, meth injected MONSTER.

Quote Originally Posted by Galant306m View Post
    Galanttuner are you factoring the difference in compression from the 63 to the 64?
    i dont have to factor that in.. i know stock compression is 9.5 and with the head swap ill be around 10.. why would the 63 compression matter??? cuz thats their pistons but we run our pistons.. and the 9.0 pistons are made for the 64 block with the 63 head
    2014 Lancer Evo GSR
    Need a Turbo rebuilt or upgraded--> http://www.thegalantcenter.org/showt...ebuild-Service

Quote Originally Posted by Galanttuner10 View Post
    alright continuing on track here,, its good to know that 9.0 is a good cr.. and yes the head swap changes the cr but these pistons are made for the 64 block with the 7bolt 63 head so it should be almost spot on

and to straighten things out you can boost a high compression motor but it wont be as efficient as a lower compression motor especially when running a larger turbo.. correct?
    Running higher compression is always more efficient. The problem you run into is that you will eventually run into a boost limit due to cylinder pressures and the ensuing detonation that will occur.

If you want to run high boost, high compression is not for you.
    Greg
    ---------

Running higher compression is always more efficient. The problem you run into is that you will eventually run into a boost limit due to cylinder pressures and the ensuing detonation that will occur.

If you want to run high boost, high compression is not for you.
    yea i wont be going high on the 14b like 12 psi max
    2014 Lancer Evo GSR

on a 9:1 motor you can go way higher that 12 psi especially out of a 14b.

The turbos you guys deal with aren't performance related turbos per se. A lot of the 9:1 builds I've done have run 30 pounds of boost out of a 35R. Heck I even did a 9.8:1 that ran 24 pounds off a 35R hybrid.
    Greg
    ---------

on a 9:1 motor you can go way higher that 12 psi especially out of a 14b.

The turbos you guys deal with aren't performance related turbos per se. A lot of the 9:1 builds I've done have run 30 pounds of boost out of a 35R. Heck I even did a 9.8:1 that ran 24 pounds off a 35R hybrid.
    after the headswap ill be around 9.8:1 or 10:1 and im not going to go 9:1 until i run a much larger turbo.. but even with that high of a compression i should be fine.
    2014 Lancer Evo GSR

are you doing a full build or just swapping out heads?

well its pretty much just a swap for now, 3g lifter, new valves and stuff ill upgrade everything later when i upgrade the turbo
    2014 Lancer Evo GSR

sounds cool, should be fun to swap out. gl

Quote Originally Posted by xd_01 View Post
    sounds cool, should be fun to swap out. gl
    o it is cool and im sure it will be tons of fun.. thanks
    2014 Lancer Evo GSR

i dont know if you know about DSM talk.com but ill give you a link to a thread that has alot of good info on the 2.4 hybrid motor that might be useful to you.

http://www.dsmtalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=175027

Quote Originally Posted by xd_01 View Post
    i dont know if you know about DSM talk.com but ill give you a link to a thread that has alot of good info on the 2.4 hybrid motor that might be useful to you.

http://www.dsmtalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=175027
    ive been through everything and i have many dsm guys helping me with this build when the time comes
    2014 Lancer Evo GSR