The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Changing motor mounts

Showing results 1 to 7 of 7

Changing motor mounts

Well my car shakes at idle and I narrowed it down to a bad motor mounts.

I know the rear mount needs to be changed because the whole mount is rust colored. The other mounts I'm not too sure if they're good or not. How can you tell if the mount is bad? I'll probably need to remove it to check to see if it needs replacing but what am I looking for?

I'm going to be doing the work myself because it doesn't seem too hard. I have a 4cyl 2001 Galant.

One question about how to change the rear mount. Since the mount is behind the motor and all the way down how would I go about changing it? Do I jack up the car and put it on jack stands and change the mount from underneath or get a really long wrench and change it leaning over the engine?

What is a good brand to buy for the mounts? Should I get OEM replacements? My car is a daily driver.

You are here entirely tooo much!! Jeffylou87's Avatar
    Go with OEM replacements.. Never changed them myself so I can't help.. Good luck..

You can tell if they are bad if you car vibrates when it is stopped in gear. You can also look at the middle of the mount too look at the middle where the rubber looking part is. Usually they have tears in them.

There is a How-to on changing the front and rear roll stoppers. The auto tranny mount is easy except you have to lower your cross member to get the mount the clear the 4 screws holding it in place.

Yeah it vibrates in gear, thats how I know it's the mounts :p .

I found the tutorial you were talking about and it seems harder than other tutorials I have seen. It looks like I could still do it myself but it will take longer than I thought, something thats going to have to wait until it's warmer. I still want to buy them now before I spend the money on something else.

I know I need the rear and the front for now. I'll need to look at the tranny and the passenger mount to check those tomorrow.

Look fine for the front and rear mounts?
    http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/de...3-1621410.html
    http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/de...3-1621931.html

I would buy all 4 and replace all 4 at the same time. Buy them from the mitsu dealer.

If you only replace the front and rear, then the two others will deteriorate faster. Auto tranny is a must. I changed that sucker after the front and rear and the vibrations completely went away.

Ok, I'll buy all four then. So should I just call up the mitsubishi dealership and buy them from them? Or is there a website to order from?

Try here, they are probably cheaper and are still OEM mitsu parts.

http://www.trademotion.com/partlocat...?siteid=213714

Thank you Raz for my new ordering site!!