The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Some odd noises... help would be appreciated, as always :)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 41

Some odd noises... help would be appreciated, as always :)

Hey everyone. First off let me thank you all who helped me with my previous problem, the "clicking" which turned out to be the lifters. I got some of that additive, the Ristone I believe was the name, and it has improved a lot. Now here are my new problems:

1. I hear a repetitive, rhythmic sound when the car is idling, and the frequency of the noise increases with higher RPM's. It is sort of like a squeaking sound, I'm assuming a belt? I've already tightened the first belt which helped the previous noise, but not I think it might be my larger, (serpantine?) belt. Any suggestions on fixing this? Tighten it, or buy a new one possibly?

2. My BRAKE indicator light near the gauges is on constantly, even though my e-brake is completely down, depressed totally. Any Ideas?

3. I hear a horrific sort of "metal grinding metal" sound, just when the car starts and for a few feet after I drive, it is also a rhythmic sound, I guess I could describe it as if you were to take a dremel to an aluminum can with a grinder bit and moved it back and forth.... I think the closest issue posted on the sticky was

"Crankshaft bearing noises caused by excessive clearance are heard as deep metallic knocks. Noise is loudest under load, acceleration, or when the engine is just started. May be accompanied by low oil pressure which can be checked with an oil pressure gauge."

But this doesn't really tell me how to diagnose or fix the problem, just that it COULD be accompanied by low oil pressure. Any ideas on that? Or is it a completely different problem?

4. My brakes squeak. Get new pads/shoes?

5. My steering wheel shakes at speeds aproaching and exceeding 65-80 MPH, what to do about this? Get my wheels realigned? (I believe that was the term)

THANKS SO MUCH GUYS!!!!!

Everyone on here is an insanely helpful resource, so if anyone could take a few mins and help me out that'd be great. I'd much rather do any fix myself as opposed to taking it to a shop, I can save money and learn something :)

Thanks again everyone!

Experienced TGC Member showtime's Avatar
    wow...sounds like it might explode

Lol yea, that's why I'd like to fix it :)

your car is trying to transform lmao :)
    OZ Rally Crew #001, Quaife Club member :D

Quote Originally Posted by greddy View Post
    your car is trying to transform lmao :)
    XD LMFAO that's actually extremely funny XDXDXD

Any advice man? :P

Experienced TGC Member showtime's Avatar
    did you clean you brakes? try it before you go get new pads or shoes. Thats all mine needed!

# 2,3,4 & 5 all sound brake related.

#2 Brake light will stay on if brake fluid is low
    #3 Metal on metal that eases up after a few feet could be a worn pad/shoe or a sticking caliper
    #4 Brakes squeak - Worn pads (or shoes if you have drums)
    #5 Steering wheel shake - Warped rotors on the front

Find yourself a reputable mechanic and have your brake system checked out. Sounds like that's where many of your problems could be found.
    Chip

2000 Basalt Black Metallic GTZ
    (Paint Code: Porsche LC9Z)

Genuine experience carries a lot more credibility than the ability to answer a question.

traffik
    I agree with Fishboy55 about everything except #5. If the steering starts to shake as you approach high speeds then you need to check your inner and outer tie rods.

THANKS A LOT GUYS!

Alright, the place I got my tranny flushed is owned by a friend of the family, and they said they will give me a free break inspection/tire rotation deal, so I'll have them do that.

I hope it can all be fixed from by one solution! :D

Thanks!

I had the same problem as #5 and it went away when I replaced the rims, for me it was because of bent rims. One of my friend's corolla had the same problem and he had a set of bent rims in the front too, and after a tire rotation, it did become a little better. So you might want to check your rims too.

Shaking of the steering when the rotors are bent only happens when you brake at higher speeds, not when you're just cruising I believe.

Quote Originally Posted by tamim13 View Post
    I had the same problem as #5 and it went away when I replaced the rims, for me it was because of bent rims. One of my friend's corolla had the same problem and he had a set of bent rims in the front too, and after a tire rotation, it did become a little better. So you might want to check your rims too.

Shaking of the steering when the rotors are bent only happens when you brake at higher speeds, not when you're just cruising I believe.
    Actually, Tamim, the 8G is known for warping rotors, usually caused by incorrect torque on the lug nuts. And they will give you a front end vibration at highway speeds. Many of us have experienced it and I'm personally on my third set of rotors since I've owned the car. Luckily these Brembos are solid and have had no problems. I agree that's not the most likely cause of his vibration problem, but since he has other apparent brake issues, it seemed logical. However I agree, balance, tie rods and even a bad tire will all cause the same symptom.
    Chip

Genuine experience carries a lot more credibility than the ability to answer a question.

Well, I guess if it's a common problem then he should check that too. But logically, can you explain how a warped rotor comes into the picture when you're traveling at highway speed without pressing the brakes? This is just for my information, as I honestly don't know the working!

HEY GUYS!

Thanks a lot, as always :)

I went to BrakeMasters, and they said all I need is front pads and rotors, so instead of paying em 300$ for labor and parts, I'm going to autozone or checker soon to get the parts, we have a family friend whose a mechanic so I'll do that with him.

He assured me that my #1 issue, the rhythmic sqeaky noise was nothing to worry about, that it's coming from the back of my engine block. But it's still annoying, if anyone has ideas I'd like to get rid of it.

Thanks guys!!

Quote Originally Posted by HungarianHunter View Post
    HEY GUYS!

Thanks a lot, as always :)

I went to BrakeMasters, and they said all I need is front pads and rotors, so instead of paying em 300$ for labor and parts, I'm going to autozone or checker soon to get the parts, we have a family friend whose a mechanic so I'll do that with him.

He assured me that my #1 issue, the rhythmic sqeaky noise was nothing to worry about, that it's coming from the back of my engine block. But it's still annoying, if anyone has ideas I'd like to get rid of it.

Thanks guys!!
    I'd be more concerned about a mechanic that told me not to worry about a constant rhythmic noise from "the back of my engine block". Sounds like it's time to check your motor mounts.
    Chip

Quote Originally Posted by tamim13 View Post
    Well, I guess if it's a common problem then he should check that too. But logically, can you explain how a warped rotor comes into the picture when you're traveling at highway speed without pressing the brakes? This is just for my information, as I honestly don't know the working!
    No, honestly, I couldn't explain it either, and I agree it doesn't make sense.
    Chip

Quote Originally Posted by Fishboy55 View Post
    I'd be more concerned about a mechanic that told me not to worry about a constant rhythmic noise from "the back of my engine block". Sounds like it's time to check your motor mounts.
    He was a JustBrakes guy, not so much a full-blown mechanic, so IDK. A friend of mine said it could be my pulleys, and that I should lube them up.

Get your tires balanced and make sure your rims aren't bent for problem #5.

If you have a ratchet and some grease you can do your brakes yourself. It is not hard at all. Be sure and have the pins greased because some people 'forget' to do it or just don't do it at all.

Spray some water out of a spray bottle (don't hose it down) onto your belt and if that stops the squeak, then that is your problem, and you should probably go ahead and replace it.

traffik
    just change your brakes and rotors, get the wheel rotated and balanced. then go to a place that does wheel alignment and tell them you want to check your front end, it should be no charge. they will check you inner and outer tie rods along with your lower control arms.

Just replaced my pads and rotors today, brakes work great, no squeaking or grinding, thanks!

Now I just need to fix that wierd noise under the hood... we've concluded that it's coming from that little goldish disk on the back of the engine block, that has a hose coming out of it.

prob 1# , check all ur pullies,for prob # 5 , for me it was bad motor mounts, every time i went over 70 it would shake like crazy. inspect for cracks on mounts.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast