The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Some odd noises... help would be appreciated, as always :)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Showing results 21 to 40 of 41
    What exactly does checking my pullies entail? What exactly am I looking for? Are there some sort of tests I should conduct?

Just so I don't screw something up, the pulleys are the round wheel-like things that the belts are on right?

:P thanks :D

Alright guys, so I found a new way to describe the sound. It's like a cricket chirping. Ideas?

Fixed the grinding, replaced my brake pads (and a caliper in the process)

My lifters click, but I hear that can be solved with an oil change? (I'm overdue...)

Then there is that damn chirping sound still...

Quote Originally Posted by HungarianHunter View Post
    What exactly does checking my pullies entail? What exactly am I looking for? Are there some sort of tests I should conduct?

Just so I don't screw something up, the pulleys are the round wheel-like things that the belts are on right?

:P thanks :D
    LMFAO!

...yes.

Alright guys, so I found a new way to describe the sound. It's like a cricket chirping. Ideas?
    Uh?

My lifters click, but I hear that can be solved with an oil change? (I'm overdue...)
    Make sure you actually have enough oil in the car. Then I would try running some seafoam in there like these guys are talking about. It'll clean them up a little.

Quote Originally Posted by youngin3 View Post
    LMFAO!

1. ...yes.

2. Uh?

3. Make sure you actually have enough oil in the car. Then I would try running some seafoam in there like these guys are talking about. It'll clean them up a little.

1. Yea, I don't know much about engines, figured that was right :)

2. It's a high pitched squeeking sound, like a chirping of a cricket is the best way to describe it.

3. Sea foam, I've heard mixed thoughts about.

Now that I think about it you may be hearing chirping and squaekiing noises from both your belt and your pulleys. Put two fingers on either side of your belt, you sshould only be able to move it up and down about a half an inch or so easily. Look at all of your pulleys while the car is running. Do any of them wobble or shimmy? With the car off try and wobble the pulleys with your hand. They shouldn't move at all.

Now that I think about it you may be hearing chirping and squaekiing noises from both your belt and your pulleys. Put two fingers on either side of your belt, you sshould only be able to move it up and down about a half an inch or so easily. Look at all of your pulleys while the car is running. Do any of them wobble or shimmy? With the car off try and wobble the pulleys with your hand. They shouldn't move at all.
    Belts are super tight, I already did that, I'll check the pulley's tomorrow. Thanks :)

A belt can be too tight. You need to have them just right.

A belt can be too tight. You need to have them just right.
    By super tight I meant a very slight mount of slack when moved.

Okay, sounds good.

For you to really be able to check your pulleys, you are going to have to take off the belt. I don't think I mentioned that to you earlier. If you aren't comfortable doing that, then take it to a mechanic. The squeaking noise is probably something minor and you shouldn't be out much money at all.

Okay, sounds good.

For you to really be able to check your pulleys, you are going to have to take off the belt. I don't think I mentioned that to you earlier. If you aren't comfortable doing that, then take it to a mechanic. The squeaking noise is probably something minor and you shouldn't be out much money at all.
    Cept a mechanic charges 80$ just to pop the hood... :(

I can do the belt removal myself, I like learning new things :)

Hey everyone. First off let me thank you all who helped me with my previous problem, the "clicking" which turned out to be the lifters. I got some of that additive, the Ristone I believe was the name, and it has improved a lot. Now here are my new problems:

1. I hear a repetitive, rhythmic sound when the car is idling, and the frequency of the noise increases with higher RPM's. It is sort of like a squeaking sound, I'm assuming a belt? I've already tightened the first belt which helped the previous noise, but not I think it might be my larger, (serpantine?) belt. Any suggestions on fixing this? Tighten it, or buy a new one possibly?

**I would suggest new you dont want to risk belts snapping unless it was recently done and they didnt make it tight enough like my alternator was last year -.-**

2. My BRAKE indicator light near the gauges is on constantly, even though my e-brake is completely down, depressed totally. Any Ideas?

**Low brake fluid, could be an indication of your pads as well. Our cars may have a light when pads are shot, not sure. But most likely i would check brake fluid and rebleed system if it seems low. My truck got a brake light when the brake lines blew but thats different all together I had no fluid then. The easiest way to check is look see if its low if it is put some in and see if u constantly depress brake if it bubbles then you may need to bleed cause there is air in there.**

3. I hear a horrific sort of "metal grinding metal" sound, just when the car starts and for a few feet after I drive, it is also a rhythmic sound, I guess I could describe it as if you were to take a dremel to an aluminum can with a grinder bit and moved it back and forth.... I think the closest issue posted on the sticky was

"Crankshaft bearing noises caused by excessive clearance are heard as deep metallic knocks. Noise is loudest under load, acceleration, or when the engine is just started. May be accompanied by low oil pressure which can be checked with an oil pressure gauge."

But this doesn't really tell me how to diagnose or fix the problem, just that it COULD be accompanied by low oil pressure. Any ideas on that? Or is it a completely different problem?

4. My brakes squeak. Get new pads/shoes?

**Why not they're like 50 bucks combined when was last time you replaced them. Also clean out the drum and resurface rotor **

5. My steering wheel shakes at speeds aproaching and exceeding 65-80 MPH, what to do about this? Get my wheels realigned? (I believe that was the term)

**Could be an alignment possibly wheels if your wheels arent completely centered. Alignment is best bet though.**

THANKS SO MUCH GUYS!!!!!

Everyone on here is an insanely helpful resource, so if anyone could take a few mins and help me out that'd be great. I'd much rather do any fix myself as opposed to taking it to a shop, I can save money and learn something :)

Thanks again everyone!
    My answers are in **'s just few tips on things to check and what not.

Thanks man!

All the problems have been solved, cept the aqueeking (pulleys maybe) and the vibration. I'm sure I need an alignment, and my tire sidewalls are pretty much shot.

Thanks man!

All the problems have been solved, cept the aqueeking (pulleys maybe) and the vibration. I'm sure I need an alignment, and my tire sidewalls are pretty much shot.
    Do you get vibration as well when you sit at a stop sign with car in drive? If so check your motor mounts if not its probably something else like the alignment.

as for pulleys I know less then you do about that so cant give any advice there. All I know really is what I do on my vehicles or my bros vehicles.

Quote Originally Posted by 03-Galant-ES View Post
    Do you get vibration as well when you sit at a stop sign with car in drive? If so check your motor mounts if not its probably something else like the alignment.

as for pulleys I know less then you do about that so cant give any advice there. All I know really is what I do on my vehicles or my bros vehicles.
    Nope, just when driving around 75mph. I'll have to see after I get my new tires this summer.

after rotation see if vibration area changes thats a big clue

noise could be your pulleys on your timing belt , replace your belts in a while?

Cept a mechanic charges 80$ just to pop the hood... :(
    What kind of shithead mechanic did you run into?

Find a better mechanic and get your tires balanced. That should fix your shaking problem at certain speeds. We only charge 20 bucks to balance tires. It isn't too hard to do.

I've got all the problems taken care of except the rhythmic squeeking... I'm going to get a video of it up for you guys ASAP, I'm sure hearing it would help you help me :P

Old. Thread.

Have you checked your brakes?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast