The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Good ground in trunk?

Showing results 1 to 19 of 19

Good ground in trunk?

Right now I have my amp grounded to the sheet metal that is behind the back seat. I don't think it is a very good ground though. I can't tighten the cable down very well there either. Where do you guys ground your amps?

Experienced TGC Member showtime's Avatar
    I have mine grounded on the top of the trunk, Its the bolt that holds in the brake I believe.

I dont know if thats a good description, i can take a picture if you want.

Please, if it isn't too much trouble.

Here's mine:

Last edited by youngin3; 01-27-2009 at 05:01 PM

You are here entirely tooo much!! Stewi's Avatar
    I have my battery in the trunk, its grounded to the inner sheet metal inside the passenger rear quarter panel, its about 1 foot behind the tail light, its a thin piece of metal that runs vertical. Another good place depending on where the amps are mounted is to one of the back seat bolts just make sure you sand off the paint around the ground point to bare metal
    Quote Originally Posted by qnz
    well there are talkers and there are do'ers. talkers never do. and do'ers never talk
    99' Galant ES
    4G64/63T
    AEM EMS

Quote Originally Posted by Stewi View Post
    I have my battery in the trunk, its grounded to the inner sheet metal inside the passenger rear quarter panel, its about 1 foot behind the tail light, its a thin piece of metal that runs vertical. Another good place depending on where the amps are mounted is to one of the back seat bolts just make sure you sand off the paint around the ground point to bare metal
    Can you show me how you mounted your battery? Did this affect any of the other electronics in the car when you mounted it in the back?

That is, if I can find room to put the battery back there... haha

Like the dumbass I am I didn't measure the trunk before I built the box...

I ground my amp beneath the rear seat. Used the dremel to shave off the paint and reveal the metal. Used like 2 or 3 self tapping screws. Worked for me. Hope this helps. Should work the same for the trunk.

Im working but ill post pictures when i get off later tonight...

Quote Originally Posted by showtime View Post
    I have mine grounded on the top of the trunk, Its the bolt that holds in the brake I believe.
    OH I know what you are talking about now. The bolt that holds in the third brake light.

I don't know if that will be any better than what I have right now. I guess I can just drill a hole in the sheet metal and get a bolt from work and put it in there...

I was just hoping to find out that there is a hole already in the trunk somewhere for a bolt to go through. I put a system in an older pickup and there were a few holes in the floorboard of the truck that were threaded and I just buffed the paint off around the hole and found a bolt that was the right type of thread to put in. It worked great.

I guess there is nothing like that in our cars though....

Quote Originally Posted by lavie2k9 View Post
    Can you show me how you mounted your battery? Did this affect any of the other electronics in the car when you mounted it in the back?

That is, if I can find room to put the battery back there... haha

Like the dumbass I am I didn't measure the trunk before I built the box...

i know what you mean

mine is grounded where the rear seats bolt in
    ...pain is temporary, pride is forever...

You are here entirely tooo much!! Stewi's Avatar
    You dont need a threaded hole. You can find any open hole or slot and just use a bolt with a nut on the back. I drilled a hole in that part I was talking about above and just used a nut and bolt.
    Quote Originally Posted by qnz
    well there are talkers and there are do'ers. talkers never do. and do'ers never talk
    99' Galant ES
    4G64/63T
    AEM EMS

Quote Originally Posted by Stewi View Post
    You dont need a threaded hole. You can find any open hole or slot and just use a bolt with a nut on the back. I drilled a hole in that part I was talking about above and just used a nut and bolt.
    Yeah the threaded hole was such a breeze though.

Thanks guys.

I am getting a new box soon from the guy who sold me my amp. It's the one made for my subs. I won't be looking retarded with my subs facing upwards for too long.

You are here entirely tooo much!! Serstylz2's Avatar
    why are u guys using these mondo sized boxes with the mid level subs?

Quote Originally Posted by Serstylz2 View Post
    It's only 2.5 cu ft in each chamber...

These subs are definitely better than any other subs I have had.

i have my amps grounded to under one of the bolts that hold in the back seat at the bottom edge. they are perfect since they screw directly into heavy steel.

Quote Originally Posted by Serstylz2 View Post
    i would love to upgrade the subs, but for now, i went with a box that would get the most out of what i have
    ...pain is temporary, pride is forever...

the ground i used was a bolt that didnt lead to anywhere...so i just unscrewed it..hooked on the loop (ground circle thing) and screwed it in place. its located right behind the tail lights on both ends...just pull back the furry lining sheet stuff and you'll seee metal. and lots of it...

Just run a negative line off the battery and twist it around the positive all the way back ... thats what all the baullers do :bauller_cool:

i went to that point by the window defroster till the defroster stopped working. then i went to one of the back seat bolts with a good crimped and soldered connection

Quote Originally Posted by Reelax View Post
    i have my amps grounded to under one of the bolts that hold in the back seat at the bottom edge. they are perfect since they screw directly into heavy steel.
    ditto. I am using the one right in the middle. make sure you also sand off the paint good to have good contact.

GREEN is the new BLACK