The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: suspension?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 24

suspension?

ok so I'm new to modifying cars. I have some knowledge but not nearly as close as the rest of you.

2 questions:

First, What's the difference between a shock and a strut?

Second, What's a good set-up for a suspension? I want something more than normal but less than performance type

what do you mean normal and performance?

"DSM's, making people mechanics since 1985"
    Quote Originally Posted by polishmafia
    You want real respect from those fools? Don't race him. Tell him racing is a sport left to young boys who are still waiting for their balls to drop. Then while he's out racing, fuck his girlfriend in the ass, take pics, and leave them on his car while hes at school.

normal as in everyday driving

Proto
    Quote Originally Posted by yip yip View Post
    ok so I'm new to modifying cars. I have some knowledge but not nearly as close as the rest of you.

2 questions:

Second, What's a good set-up for a suspension? I want something more than normal but less than performance type
    Same thing bascially, different mounting on the bottom. On the 7g/2g the shock (rear) attaches to the spindle itself and the strut (front) attaches to the strut fork.

Eibach prokit is firm but not rigid, pair these up with KYB AGX and Tokico Illuminas on the softest setting.

Experienced TGC Member showtime's Avatar
    There is a lot you can do to suspension...you can get different springs to enhance the cars appearance and overall performance by lowering the center of gravity, but the only problem with that is our stock shocks/struts wont last to long with anything other than stock springs. You can get adjustable shocks/struts for more performance and then the best performance you can get full coilovers! Depends on what you want from your car...correct me if im wrong guys, im no expert.

i have a '94 and i keep hearing a creaking noise from the back when i go over a bump or hit pot hole, I'm guessing it's the shocks. If I change the shocks what other parts would I need in total?

Proto
    Thats the upper control arm bushings. They tend to dry rot and go bad. Best bet is to buy a set off eBay. Pricing all depends on how you shop.

Thanks alot, it tends to rock when I hit a bump also at speeds over 30

Quote Originally Posted by Proto View Post
    Same thing bascially, different mounting on the bottom. On the 7g/2g the shock (rear) attaches to the spindle itself and the strut (front) attaches to the strut fork.

Eibach prokit is firm but not rigid, pair these up with KYB AGX and Tokico Illuminas on the softest setting.
    that is a good proven setup. just make sure the shocks you pick won't be too stiff. thats why the ajustables are good.

"DSM's, making people mechanics since 1985"
    Quote Originally Posted by polishmafia
    You want real respect from those fools? Don't race him. Tell him racing is a sport left to young boys who are still waiting for their balls to drop. Then while he's out racing, fuck his girlfriend in the ass, take pics, and leave them on his car while hes at school.

ok so the struts are used in the front and the shocks in the rear?

Sorry im a n00b when it comes to suspension:(

Proto
    On your car, yes.

is that the same on every 7g or no?

Proto
    Yes

Quick question.

Do you need strut bellows and shock bushings when changing out suspension?

Proto
    Just replace the shocks/struts and springs but use all the stock parts.

Does anyone have an on line diagram or service manual I can look at?

Experienced TGC Member showtime's Avatar
    https://www.thegalantcenter.org/showthread.php?t=14538

that might help, its in the do it yourself forum section.

You can also purchase other suspension items such as aftermarket camber kits, strut bars, sway bars, underbraces, and lower tie bars.

Quote Originally Posted by yip yip View Post

2 questions:

If you need some let me know, I have four gr-2 sitting in my closet, collecting dust, from my first setup. There was no lowering spring on them, stock springs only and were used for less than 6 months. They are lke 30% stiffer than stock.
    God created turbo lag to give the v8's a brief moment of hope.

Build Thread

I might take you up on that offer depending where I can find them the cheapest, so far i found the kyb gr2 for $20 each

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast