The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: white smoke coming from exhaust?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Showing results 21 to 30 of 30
    TGC Regular
    Hold on i dont like the method of testing becasue in the morning my car has pure white smoke even when i drive. And my exhaust does smell sweet but the last thing i am doing is burning coolant.... Now i am using 93 octane. Would that give it a sweet smell? Do you guys think that i am running lean??? I have a feeling i need more fuel going. I just have simple bolt ons like headers intake exhaust things like that??? O and wheres the most common spot for our engines top leak oil???

TGC Regular
    Well maybe not pure white but it is white smoke

Experienced TGC Member
    Quote Originally Posted by skrap View Post
    Hold on i dont like the method of testing becasue in the morning my car has pure white smoke even when i drive. And my exhaust does smell sweet but the last thing i am doing is burning coolant.... Now i am using 93 octane. Would that give it a sweet smell? Do you guys think that i am running lean??? I have a feeling i need more fuel going. I just have simple bolt ons like headers intake exhaust things like that??? O and wheres the most common spot for our engines top leak oil???
    How about this.... If u dont wanna do a compression test.. Pull the damn exhaust manifold off and see if there is oil in the ports. Pull a plug and see if there is oil on the plug or the top of the piston.... As for oil leaking at the top of the motor that should be indicative that its the head gasket seeing that youre already burning oil and atleast 3 ppl have said check that. I had this SAME shit happen to me 3x already. I should know the symptoms.. IF it isnt the head gasket causing the car to burn oil its A. Rings or B. Valve stem seals.. Either way you look at it this isnt an "easy fix" Nor is it hard. The head gasket is easy as shit to replace if you know how to set timing which im more than sure someone here can help you out. Also. Youll need to replace the oil pump seal, head bolts, water pump, timing belt, pulleys and tensioner while youre at it. PLESE PLEASE PLEASE dont make the same mistake that i did and go cheap without replacing the tensioner.. I did this and i had an issue that i thought was far beyond a busted tensioner and i pulled the motor thinking it was the balance shaft stubby shaft that i put in when i rebuilt my motor but it turned out to be a bad tensioner... Its easy and simple shit like that that will make your day bad dude. Listen to us. Weve been there and done that.

ON another note. I dont think running lean gives you smoke dude but im not sure. What makes you run 93 in your car?

TGC Regular
    ok well i wasnt the person that had the original problem in this thred lol i was just adding in lol Idk i started running 93 in it when i got it. Now if i go any lower she acts up and sputters and shit. Dont ask me. And i have had my sparkplugs out and my headers off and im strait im just leaking oil. I was just saying that i dont burn oil or coolant but i have white smoke. I was asking what it would be. Im not really too concerned about it. I know my motor is really heathly.

Experienced TGC Member
    ok well i wasnt the person that had the original problem in this thred lol i was just adding in lol Idk i started running 93 in it when i got it. Now if i go any lower she acts up and sputters and shit. Dont ask me. And i have had my sparkplugs out and my headers off and im strait im just leaking oil. I was just saying that i dont burn oil or coolant but i have white smoke. I was asking what it would be. Im not really too concerned about it. I know my motor is really heathly.
    HA.. My bad... Umm.. As for the spitting and sputtering that could be that the computer is learning the new fuel which u should be running regular octane which i think i 89. It may take a tank for it to learn then u will be ok. My bad about getting u mixed up with the other guy. Check your valve cover dude or your distributor O-ring. Can you take a pic?

You are here entirely tooo much!! seth98esT's Avatar
    If you have a lot of smoke coming out of the exhaust when you are driving normally or idling, you are burning SOMETHING and its either coolant or oil. Do a compression test, that will tell you if its the headgasket. If your too lazy to pull the plugs and the MPI relay for the fuel pump, you need to let the real mechanics troubleshoot it for you.

And by burning, I mean the oil or coolant is burning in the exhaust, causing the smoke.
    7g for life!

TGC Regular
    well it only smoke untill it warms up and then its fine. Shadow dont worry about it lol shit happens. What i need to do is retap the bolt holes for my oil pan becasue some of them are stripped( bought the car that way) And my valve cover is leaking a little but not too bad

Just my 2 cents... I had an old sentra this happened to and it was the head gasket, like yours it did it when it was cold only... but the problem was I did not fix it in time and I warpped the whole head..... had to rebuild the engine..which I refused to and just junked it!!!

TGC Regular
    well i plan on getting a whole new motor lol so its kool
    just as soon as i get my hands on another dd

Experienced TGC Member
    well it only smoke untill it warms up and then its fine. Shadow dont worry about it lol shit happens. What i need to do is retap the bolt holes for my oil pan becasue some of them are stripped( bought the car that way) And my valve cover is leaking a little but not too bad
    When its cold oil can be getting by but when it warms up it may expand enough to seal... Still something isnt right.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12