The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: turbo an automatic?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Showing results 21 to 40 of 41
    You are here entirely tooo much!! peanotation's Avatar
    the 7G automatic is notoriously bad, much worse than the 8G. turboing an automatic 7g is running to the grave rather than walking to it
    http://socallifestyle.com/

1994 Galant GS 5spd

FWIW, my auto tranny went kaput after 7830 miles from installing the turbo on my 8G, and I wasn't even driving hard.

If you decide to stay automatic and go turbo, at least run a secondary tranny cooler, as the stock "tranny cooler" is just a damn pipe underneath the radiator. Even then I would get the auto trans beefed up.

You are here entirely tooo much!! Galanttuner10's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DryBear View Post
    FWIW, my auto tranny went kaput after 7830 miles from installing the turbo on my 8G, and I wasn't even driving hard.

If you decide to stay automatic and go turbo, at least run a secondary tranny cooler, as the stock "tranny cooler" is just a damn pipe underneath the radiator. Even then I would get the auto trans beefed up.
    i agree the stock coolers are horrible.. upgrade it and try to find a better location where it can get more air if you stay auto
    2014 Lancer Evo GSR
    1996 Galant S 5 Speed Turbo
    Need a Turbo rebuilt or upgraded--> http://www.thegalantcenter.org/showt...ebuild-Service

Experienced TGC Member Galantfan88's Avatar
    Will an evo oil cooler work?

Quote Originally Posted by Galantfan88 View Post
    I would just go to a parts store and get a big cooler for a truck.

1996 galant s
    finishing up my 2.4L DOHC, 10.5:1, precision sc60, meth injected MONSTER.

A big cooler from a truck??? The only thing I need to figure out is how to fit everything in my new style JDM bumper. I need to fit an intercooler in the front and get a smaller or something with the radiator (Aftermarket) and I wanna see if I can fit an oil cooler somewhere just not sure where. But you see what I mean, like just getting everything to fit.

we are talking about tranny coolers not engine oil coolers.. go aftermarket either way tho
    2014 Lancer Evo GSR
    Need a Turbo rebuilt or upgraded--> http://www.thegalantcenter.org/showt...ebuild-Service

A big cooler from a truck??? The only thing I need to figure out is how to fit everything in my new style JDM bumper. I need to fit an intercooler in the front and get a smaller or something with the radiator (Aftermarket) and I wanna see if I can fit an oil cooler somewhere just not sure where. But you see what I mean, like just getting everything to fit.
    Put it behind the radiator.

1996 galant s
    finishing up my 2.4L DOHC, 10.5:1, precision sc60, meth injected MONSTER.

Yeah im sorry I was talking about tranny coolers, but I need to get an after-market rad. and that does seem like a good idea to put it behind the radiator. Thanx for the ideas now its just finding a decent size that would fit nice.

Yeah im sorry I was talking about tranny coolers, but I need to get an after-market rad. and that does seem like a good idea to put it behind the radiator. Thanx for the ideas now its just finding a decent size that would fit nice.
    ok wut year galant do u have? u can put it behind there i guess as long as it gets a steady flow of air im gonna find an open spot for mine so there is no restriction cuz i dont want it to be heat soaked as heat is the #1 enemy of auto trannies.. esp weak ones like the 7gs
    2014 Lancer Evo GSR

Quote Originally Posted by Galanttuner10 View Post
    ok wut year galant do u have? u can put it behind there i guess as long as it gets a steady flow of air im gonna find an open spot for mine so there is no restriction cuz i dont want it to be heat soaked as heat is the #1 enemy of auto trannies.. esp weak ones like the 7gs

Well im going to do a 5 speed swap with my 2002 Galant, and if the weather isnt a bitch over the weekend Im going to look at the car, see what I can fit and start ordering some thing I need. But hey let me know what you think.

Well im going to do a 5 speed swap with my 2002 Galant, and if the weather isnt a bitch over the weekend Im going to look at the car, see what I can fit and start ordering some thing I need. But hey let me know what you think.
    4cyl or v6?.. that makes all the dif when it comes to room an location.. and i hear ya about the weather im up here in CT.. you should go check around with the 8g guys esp qnzmostwanted and goosey2099 as they r 5 spd and goosey is turboed.. o and both 4g64s and close 2 u
    Last edited by Galanttuner10; 01-29-2009 at 02:58 PM
    2014 Lancer Evo GSR

I got a 4cyl, and I have talk to goosey2099 and hes ganna do my engine and 5 speed swap for like an awesome price. I asked Roman (Goosey) bout the tranny cooler and he said I dont need it but for some reason I think I do b/c when the summer comes things are ganna get alil hot.

I got a 4cyl, and I have talk to goosey2099 and hes ganna do my engine and 5 speed swap for like an awesome price. I asked Roman (Goosey) bout the tranny cooler and he said I dont need it but for some reason I think I do b/c when the summer comes things are ganna get alil hot.
    haha i was talking 2 roman earlier about our plans and i wanted 2 c if hed come up to MA for a meet, neway.. with a 5 spd you shouldnt need a cooler you should be fine.. and he knows what hes doing so just listen to him.. awesome guy and an awesome car.. it looks so good in person
    2014 Lancer Evo GSR

Quote Originally Posted by Galanttuner10 View Post
    haha i was talking 2 roman earlier about our plans and i wanted 2 c if hed come up to MA for a meet, neway.. with a 5 spd you shouldnt need a cooler you should be fine.. and he knows what hes doing so just listen to him.. awesome guy and an awesome car.. it looks so good in person
    O ok, yeah he seems like he really knows his shit, so pretty much I put all of my trust in his hands. Looking from the pix he has of his car it looks pretty badass so im looking forward in meeting wit him and getting this job done. As far as the cooler goes yeah I was not sure if I wold need it or not wit the 5 speed, but thats good if I dont need it. Saves me money for other things i need. Hes also putting in my turbo kit which is awesome, so he knows where everything goes. So far im almost done and need to put engine back together, just the weather is killing me and slowin me down but than I gatta order the 5 speed and all that goodies.

O ok, yeah he seems like he really knows his shit, so pretty much I put all of my trust in his hands. Looking from the pix he has of his car it looks pretty badass so im looking forward in meeting wit him and getting this job done. As far as the cooler goes yeah I was not sure if I wold need it or not wit the 5 speed, but thats good if I dont need it. Saves me money for other things i need. Hes also putting in my turbo kit which is awesome, so he knows where everything goes. So far im almost done and need to put engine back together, just the weather is killing me and slowin me down but than I gatta order the 5 speed and all that goodies.
    i would trust him 100 percent if i were you and hey if you have aim or sumthing lets move thiis over there so we can talk get my aim from my info if u want
    2014 Lancer Evo GSR

You are here entirely tooo much!! peanotation's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DryBear View Post

sucks for the 8G, my 7G had a standalone seperate oil cooler for the tranny when it was automatic
    http://socallifestyle.com/

1994 Galant GS 5spd

Experienced TGC Member
    If your worried about the auto trans just do what I did on my auto boosted 7g before I switched it up to 5 speed and run the dsm shift kit and end clutch from IPT and pick up a external trans cooler. They all can be had for about $250. I had no problems with my auto with those mods making 276 whp. You can ask roman & jay about it since they drove the car a couple of times. Only reason why I went manual is so I can have better control of which gear I was in.
    ASE Certified Master Automotive Tech
    2000 Galant ES = Daily Driver
    1996 Galant Turbo + 5 speed & lsd = fun ****SOLD****
    1992 Galant VR-4 #372/1000 Kensington Grey ***SOLD***

I had been driving my galant for months and almost forgot the feeling of 5speed. Then I drove my friends 5speed libero wagon and I almost jizzed! the car actually responded when I put my foot down unlike the G.

what im trying to say is M/T > A/T

As I research for my 5-speed swap and turbo build, I learned that even the m/t trans wont be able to handle more than 300whp without breaking.

So nonetheless if you are wanting to make that kind of power, swapped or not, the trans needs to be rebuilt.

period.
    Jigz-TGCIL Sosick Motorsports

R.I.P. Christopher "CRAZY CHRIS" Beckmann
    "you dont appreciate friendship until you lose your bestfriend...."
    I'd rather have the knowledge and ability to do it than the money to buy it already done.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast