The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Rear disc swap questions

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Showing results 21 to 40 of 52
    Quote Originally Posted by rez887 View Post
    Well its been 2 years from that time, I was sophomore and I talked to you on the phone outside the lab about the setup.
    pm answered.

Quote Originally Posted by run1206 View Post
    i did my swap years ago, before we were able to buy the R1s at that price. :(
    but you can buy slotted R1s at that price now, both slotted and drilled is 100 somethin i think
    Sorry, I should have quoted Brad995,,,that's who I was directing my response to.

yay for rear disc brakes

my bad boochieboy. should still be able to get those brakes at that price

02 Mit. Galant 5 Spd -> 2010 Mit. Lancer Sportback 5 Spd -> (current) 2014 Mit Evo GSR 5 Spd
    run1206's Rear Disc Tutorial
    run1206's CF Hood Resurface Tutorial

Well I'm about to buy the swap from a fellow member and now I need to pick out some rotors and pads.

http://store.r1concepts.com/Items/It...ine%20-%20Rear

Those look any good? I don't want drilled and slotted right now, I want just some basic rotors. I'll probably upgrade all my brakes to drilled and slotted next year, but not now.

http://store.r1concepts.com/Items/It...lic%20-%20Rear

Just some standard pads.

Trying to do the whole upgrade cheap for now :D . I'm planning to upgrade all my brakes to drilled and slotted next year when I have more money and my fronts will need to be replaced anyway then.

can u do the rear disk swap on a I4? cause on r1 the dont have rear disks

My car is an I4, I'm using the v6 model to pick out rotors because the v6 already have rear disks. If I put in on the website that I had an I4 I would have gotten drums instead of disks.

ohh ok so im have to buy v6 rear disks and do the whole setup..ok thx brad995

also wont i have to get like pads nd calp.

Quote Originally Posted by Legendary Galant View Post
    also wont i have to get like pads nd calp.
    Yeah you would need calipers and pads too, among other things.

Disc rotors, disc calipers, disc brake pads, rear disc backing plate, and the E-brake line connected to the backing plates (you can cut the old hard line off the donor backing plate; you'll be inserting you current E-brake line into that section)

02 Mit. Galant 5 Spd -> 2010 Mit. Lancer Sportback 5 Spd -> (current) 2014 Mit Evo GSR 5 Spd

Sorry to ask a question on someone else's thread, but I thought it would be more convenient that creating a duplicate post on a similar thread.

So, I'm trying to buy the backing plate for the rear disk swap and I found one, but the seller sent me this picture -

Now, from what I can see this looks more like the backing plate for the drum brakes. Because run1206's tutorial picture looks like this -

And the Mitsubishi diagram looks like this -

Can anyone help me confirm if what I'm trying to buy is actually the drum assembly backing plate? If so I think the seller has got it mixed up.

One more question, will the rear disk brakes from an 02 Eclipse(3G) have any fitment issues on the 8G? Or is it only the 95-99 (2G) eclipse rear brakes that fit on the 8G?

they are the same
    God created turbo lag to give the v8's a brief moment of hope.

Build Thread

tammi: that first pic you put up looks more like the back part for the drum backing plate;

my previous drum brakes:

notice they're both perfectly circular and similar components at identical locations...

you do want the backing plate just like the third picture.

the third pic is the disc brake backing plate, i'd think twice about buying from that seller :?
    Last edited by run1206; 02-06-2009 at 10:39 PM

Quote Originally Posted by run1206 View Post
    tammi: that first pic you put up looks more like the back part for the drum backing plate;

the third pic is the disc brake backing plate, i'd think twice about buying from that seller :?
    Very true. I went with someone else from the eclipse rather. When I spoke to the seller, he ended up saying that he only had calipers for the front brakes, even though he's listed them for the rear. Seems like he doesn't know anything for sure. I guess it was a good thing that he sent me the picture though, saved me some money.

Thanks for the information mko and run1206!

Quote Originally Posted by tamim13 View Post
    Very true. I went with someone else from the eclipse rather. When I spoke to the seller, he ended up saying that he only had calipers for the front brakes, even though he's listed them for the rear. Seems like he doesn't know anything for sure. I guess it was a good thing that he sent me the picture though, saved me some money.

Thanks for the information mko and run1206!
    yeah, if anything contact rez887; he's the member who usually sells full rear disc brake sets. I got my set from him.

Well I have the whole set except for rotors and pads which I'll be ordering in a few days. (thanks mko for the set)

My question is about painting and cleaning the calipers. The calipers are dirty and I want to clean them off before painting them. Can I just run them under water or will that hurt them in some way? I'm guessing not because they're going to get wet when you drive in the rain.

Now since they're already off the car I'm going to paint them now. Can I just paint the whole caliper with out masking anything off (including the inside)? Or what do I need to mask off?

Thanks.

When i was doing that i bought one of those black hard foam brushes that attaches to a drill and this thing scrubs the shit out of them. I got it from walmart for 3-4 bucks. then buy a spray can of engine degreaser /walmart again/, let it soak for 5 min, wipe it, let it dry, prime it, and paint it. I didnt mask it tho, never had any problems
    God created turbo lag to give the v8's a brief moment of hope.

Build Thread

blue8g
    can you really feel a difference from drum to disk???

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast