The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Timing belt and front crank seal

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Showing results 21 to 22 of 22
    You are here entirely tooo much!! seth98esT's Avatar
    There are two balance shafts in the motor, one in the front that has a belt to turn it, and one in the rear, attached to the oil pump sprocket which is turned by the tbelt. The point of these is to counterbalance each other and help damper engine vibration. If you take the belt off the front, and dont replace the rear shaft with the stubby shaft, you should notice more vibration as there is one shaft turning and nothing to counterbalance it.

In total, both shafts + the front sprocket weigh in between 7-8lbs, so thats 7-8lbs off the rotating mass which will give you a small power increase. Would be similar to going from a stock flywheel to an 8lb Fidanza.
    7g for life!

Quote Originally Posted by seth98esT View Post
    There are two balance shafts in the motor, one in the front that has a belt to turn it, and one in the rear, attached to the oil pump sprocket which is turned by the tbelt. The point of these is to counterbalance each other and help damper engine vibration. If you take the belt off the front, and dont replace the rear shaft with the stubby shaft, you should notice more vibration as there is one shaft turning and nothing to counterbalance it.

In total, both shafts + the front sprocket weigh in between 7-8lbs, so thats 7-8lbs off the rotating mass which will give you a small power increase. Would be similar to going from a stock flywheel to an 8lb Fidanza.

i know how they work, but still I cant get myself to do it.

And I never experienced stock flywheel, went to fidanza at first time
    God created turbo lag to give the v8's a brief moment of hope.

Build Thread

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12