The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Suspension questions

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 30
    Experienced TGC Member

Suspension questions

Ok tax return season is here. Time for upgrades on my car. Im doing the supension. Im getting coilovers. Havent decided between Megan, BC Racing, Teins, or D2's.

I just want to know what else i should be replacing when i go to have my coilovers installed? I know i need to have my camber adjusted, and alignment fixed. But do i need any other hardware with the coilovers? What other suspension components should i inspect/replace when i have the coilovers installed?

Here's some setups im looking at...
    http://www.wesellcarparts.com/store/...dCategory=1394

But it seems like everyone is recommending the D2 coilovers and Megans (more so the D2's). Im not really too concerned about adjustability because i wont be running extremely low. I just want coilovers that can endure a northeast winter.

well im goin with the megan 32-way coilovers so i would say go with the megan but alot of ppl gettin the D2's

since you wont be slammed so low, why not look into a set of quality shocks and springs?

I live in a building with lots of those yellow plastic speed bumps and I hate going over them in the Galant. almost feels like Im driving over a curb. It actaully feels better to drive over those speed bumps fast. In the 2g, I have soft lowering springs and shocks and it feels almost luxury like

Experienced TGC Member
    Quote Originally Posted by qnz View Post
    since you wont be slammed so low, why not look into a set of quality shocks and springs?

I live in a building with lots of those yellow plastic speed bumps and I hate going over them in the Galant. almost feels like Im driving over a curb. It actaully feels better to drive over those speed bumps fast. In the 2g, I have soft lowering springs and shocks and it feels almost luxury like
    Well i want to be low. But not ridiculously low. I dont want to bottom out everywhere i go. Plus i like the adjustability with coilovers. But i want a real soft ride. Everybody posts about how adjustable coilovers are, but nobody really mentions if the ride is soft or stiff? Im sure in the next week after reading more, ill make a good choice. But i need to know what else i should be doing when having my coilovers installed. Camber and Alignment are a given. But what else should i be looking into or buying ahead of time?

if you want a soft ride go with a spring and strut/shock combo. full coilovers usually have a stiff ride.

Webhosting for less than $3 a month? put "pinoyesv6" as a promo code.

Experienced TGC Member
    Ok so for a soft ride, i should go with a good spring and shock/strut combo? Which setup would you recommend for a soft ride?

Just a suggestion....we should have a Suspension setup review thread in the suspension forums. We have a thread that has people post their current setup. Why not have a thread that posts your current setup AND ride quality? Thatd be great and would give people a better idea as to what they can expect when using different suspension setups. User reviews all posted in the same thread would go a looong ways. Just an idea.....

^we have one of those
    OZ Rally Crew #001, Quaife Club member :D

Experienced TGC Member showtime's Avatar
    https://www.thegalantcenter.org/showthread.php?t=630

suspension set ups...everyone just added their set up and said how they liked it. Hope it helps.

Experienced TGC Member
    Quote Originally Posted by showtime View Post
    https://www.thegalantcenter.org/showthread.php?t=630

suspension set ups...everyone just added their set up and said how they liked it. Hope it helps.
    Yeh i saw that, but not everyone was posting reviews, plus its kinda old considering everybody and they momma is going on about their new suspension:p But ima read through it and see what else i can learn.

TEIN BASICS. probably the softest of the coilovers although dampenning is not adjustable, only ride height (-.5" to around -3"). MRJAYDEEONE has them, he can give u more info.

i had the Tein Basics as well as the SS-P. IIRC, the basics have the same spring rate as the SS-P. Its just the dampening is different. I didnt feel that much of a difference between the 2.

Suspension!

Hey who knows what year does a eclipse fit the 01 Galant ES Coilover kit!

Experienced TGC Member showtime's Avatar
    2000-2005

If you want a soft but lowered ride and stance they you want Tein H-tech with KYB GR2s. But honestly coilovers is still what I would suggest for one simple reason. You can get a softer spring rate, and leave the adjustability to the softer settings in winter, and when you want to, and it takes all of 15 minutes to adjust ALL FOUR corners when you want to stiffen it up.

But seriously I wouldn't even bother with softer springs, I would just utilize the adjustability that comes in the coilover package. I could run my megans at the softest setting and it would be perfectly comfortable as if it was almost stock. Tires and tire pressure is a factor too ofcourse.

Experienced TGC Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RedGalant2k1 View Post
    If you want a soft but lowered ride and stance they you want Tein H-tech with KYB GR2s. But honestly coilovers is still what I would suggest for one simple reason. You can get a softer spring rate, and leave the adjustability to the softer settings in winter, and when you want to, and it takes all of 15 minutes to adjust ALL FOUR corners when you want to stiffen it up.

But seriously I wouldn't even bother with softer springs, I would just utilize the adjustability that comes in the coilover package. I could run my megans at the softest setting and it would be perfectly comfortable as if it was almost stock. Tires and tire pressure is a factor too ofcourse.
    Now do i need to raise the car when i adjust the ride height on my coilovers?

Experienced TGC Member
    yes
    Alright thanx. Someone told me before that you could raise and lower you car without lifting the wheels off the ground. At first i was like "WTF that makes no sense", but i just wanted to be sure. Thanks. Ill post pics after the install:p

you dont need to raise the car per se. i guess you could lower the car as you adjust the suspension. you just need to remove the wheel to get access to the coilover. but people usually jack up the car when they remove a wheel

Experienced TGC Member
    you dont need to raise the car per se. i guess you could lower the car as you adjust the suspension. you just need to remove the wheel to get access to the coilover. but people usually jack up the car when they remove a wheel
    Yeh i saw a friend adjust his coilovers by jacking the car up and removing the wheels to do so. But i always thought that it was that knob/screw at the top of the strut that was used to adjust height.

Im just waiting for my coils to get here. Ima read the instructions and manuals. Im looking forward to joining the club with you guys!:smt023

the knobs at the top (sometimes bottom) are for adjusting dampenning.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast