The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: AWD 7g

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 35
    You are here entirely tooo much!! Galanttuner10's Avatar

AWD 7g

ok so this is my next little project and i just wanted to make sure i had everything straight.. i need a 95-97 eclipse gsx/tsi as my parts car.. tranfer parts over such as the fuel tank and obviously all other awd necesseties. all i need that i cannot use off of the gsx is a cuztom driveshaft as our whellbase is different? i would like to know if im on the right track or not as i am going to make this happen this summer

thanks
    2014 Lancer Evo GSR
    1996 Galant S 5 Speed Turbo
    Need a Turbo rebuilt or upgraded--> http://www.thegalantcenter.org/showt...ebuild-Service

Quote Originally Posted by Galanttuner10 View Post
    ok so this is my next little project and i just wanted to make sure i had everything straight.. i need a 95-97 eclipse gsx/tsi as my parts car.. tranfer parts over such as the fuel tank and obviously all other awd necesseties. all i need that i cannot use off of the gsx is a cuztom driveshaft as our whellbase is different? i would like to know if im on the right track or not as i am going to make this happen this summer

thanks
    Well since no one here has actually finished the swap you are pretty much on your own for doing it...

1996 galant s
    finishing up my 2.4L DOHC, 10.5:1, precision sc60, meth injected MONSTER.

the swap is almost the same as doing it to a FWD eclipse. another issue is where you are going to run the exhaust. our tunnel can only hold one or the other not both.

http://www.automotivearticles.com/AWD_Conversion.shtml

"DSM's, making people mechanics since 1985"
    Quote Originally Posted by polishmafia
    You want real respect from those fools? Don't race him. Tell him racing is a sport left to young boys who are still waiting for their balls to drop. Then while he's out racing, fuck his girlfriend in the ass, take pics, and leave them on his car while hes at school.

TGC Regular
    Swap the floor pans over ?

that would give you more room yes ?
    1994 Galant VR-4 GOKUH ( 230kw atw )
    2000 Legnum VR-4 ( Daily, 155.5kw atw )
    1997 Legnum VR-4 - Yes Another one
    1995 FTO - V6 Mivec 200hp

Quote Originally Posted by kolio View Post
    the swap is almost the same as doing it to a FWD eclipse. another issue is where you are going to run the exhaust. our tunnel can only hold one or the other not both.

http://www.automotivearticles.com/AWD_Conversion.shtml
    yea i was looking at that and ill look at the gsx im gonna use as a parts car when i get it and c wut i can get for an idea
    2014 Lancer Evo GSR
    Need a Turbo rebuilt or upgraded--> http://www.thegalantcenter.org/showt...ebuild-Service

Won't Cali's AWD swap that he has for sale cover what you need for the swap?

https://www.thegalantcenter.org/showthread.php?t=34279

Quote Originally Posted by tamim13 View Post
    Won't Cali's AWD swap that he has for sale cover what you need for the swap?

https://www.thegalantcenter.org/showthread.php?t=34279
    yea but when u have a gsx already as a parts car but its at ur other house in tennessee its kind of rough.. i have it just debating and im in CT shipping would be crazy.. dont know what that has to do with my question though.. i only want to know of possible issues i may have overlooked
    2014 Lancer Evo GSR

I apologize, I thought you might have missed that post.

Proto
    Shipping a caddy from MD to LA only costs me $750 so I doubt it would be that much to CT.

Just try lookking around in your area for rolling 95-99 GSX shell /no engine or seized engine/. Try dsmtrader, craigslist, junkyards....... Also, i think it matters, but im not sure, the donor car needs to be 5 spd. I know manual and auto transfer cases are different, but Im no sure about rear differential.
    God created turbo lag to give the v8's a brief moment of hope.

Build Thread

Quote Originally Posted by mko View Post
    Just try lookking around in your area for rolling 95-99 GSX shell /no engine or seized engine/. Try dsmtrader, craigslist, junkyards....... Also, i think it matters, but im not sure, the donor car needs to be 5 spd. I know manual and auto transfer cases are different, but Im no sure about rear differential.
    i dont think the rear diff would change. It wouldnt depend on having a manual or auto cuase all the rear diff is, is for power transfer to the wheels. The trans shouldn't make difference for the rear diff. but i could be wrong.

The only real problem you might run into is getting the custom drive shaft.

your going to need one that is about 6"s longer, When you get the gsx take the shaft out measure the dia of the shaft and measure the length from end to end on the yokes. Cut the yokes off and clean up the welds on them, find a machine shop in your area, they don't have to deal with cars really just someone that deals with steal, have them cut you a piece of tubing for the shaft in the length you need and have the yokes welded back on somewhere. the shaft really shouldn't coast you that much if you can go that rout.

You are also going to have to make the tunnel larger for where the transfer case sits. I suggest that you make some kind of jig to bolt across your car if you are going to be cutting into the center of the car, because of the fact we have a unibody car they could cave in if you cut the center out or you could end up twisting the frame.( my friend was putting a 350 in a civic told him not to cut for the tunnel cause the car will twist and fold in the center, if you dont support it. the car is in junk yard cause it collapsed on itself when he went to cut for the tunnel.)

You need a gsx ecu and exhaust. Also a 5 lug conversion in the front so you can have matching wheels all around.

1996 galant s

I dont think you have cut tunnel in the firewall. I mean, all 7g body frames should be the same - vr4 or not. Same thing with the eclipses - they gor from fwd to awd w/o cuttin in the firewall, cuz they were made to accomodate fwd or awd in the same body. I saw some guy in club3g cutting a tunnel, but 3g never came AWD. In the worst case, you may need front sub-frame out of AWD
    Last edited by mko; 02-03-2009 at 03:07 PM

Build Thread

I dont think you have cut tunel in the firewall. I mean, all 7g body frames should be the same - vr4 or not. Same thing with the eclipses - they gor from fwd to awd w/o cuttin in the firewall, cuz they were made to accomodate fwd or awd in the same body. I saw some guy in club3g cutting a tunel, but 3g never came AWD. In the worst case, you may need front sub-frame out of AWD
    yea but our firewall is differant from the vr4s. unless they just rotate them 180 for the left hand drive which may as well have been possible.

1996 galant s

I dont think you have cut tunel in the firewall. I mean, all 7g body frames should be the same - vr4 or not. Same thing with the eclipses - they gor from fwd to awd w/o cuttin in the firewall, cuz they were made to accomodate fwd or awd in the same body. I saw some guy in club3g cutting a tunel, but 3g never came AWD. In the worst case, you may need front sub-frame out of AWD
    actually the regular 7G and the vr-4 have diffrent tunnels. the vr-4 is wider. there is a international member here who swapped the tunnel because the stock was too small.

"DSM's, making people mechanics since 1985"
    Quote Originally Posted by polishmafia
    You want real respect from those fools? Don't race him. Tell him racing is a sport left to young boys who are still waiting for their balls to drop. Then while he's out racing, fuck his girlfriend in the ass, take pics, and leave them on his car while hes at school.

Quote Originally Posted by Galant306m View Post
    yea but our firewall is differant from the vr4s. unless they just rotate them 180 for the left hand drive which may as well have been possible.

it dont matter if its left or right handed /its just different power steering rack/, the 7g engine on vr4 and US, EU models is always on the right side when you look from the front of the car

Build Thread

Quote Originally Posted by kolio View Post
    actually the regular 7G and the vr-4 have diffrent tunnels. the vr-4 is wider. there is a international member here who swapped the tunnel because the stock was too small.

it is very posible! i was making analogy with 2g GST and GSX.

btw whos the guy?

Build Thread

it dont matter if its left or right handed /its just different power steering rack/, the 7g engine on vr4 and US, EU models is always on the right side when you look from the front of the car
    i was saying that the Vr4 firewalls might be different then ours because they are right hand drive, and awd. there has to be a place for the transfer case to sit, and it comes right off the tranny under the firewall in the middle of the tunnel. If its not a big enough space you cant get it in. someone needs to crawl under their car and see how big it is lol its to cold here other wise i would lol i dont think a transfer case will fit in that little spot.

Edit: https://www.thegalantcenter.org/showthread.php?t=33260 < that guy.
    Last edited by Galant306m; 02-03-2009 at 03:07 PM

1996 galant s

You are here entirely tooo much!! seth98esT's Avatar
    If theres not enough room(and nobody has really verified it), might get by with running stock exhaust and just run an o2 or wastegate dump :)

If you look at the thread where the 7g member from Sweden or Norway or somethewhere over in Euripe, took a FWD 7g and did the AWD swap. He cut the tunnel right down the middle, moved both sides over a few inches, and welded a sheet of metal down the middle. Not hard to do if you have some fab experience.

Also, I dont think the 2g AWD gas tank will bolt up. You will probably have to run a fuel cell.

Thread:
    https://www.thegalantcenter.org/show...ghlight=tunnel
    7g for life!

if you go ahead and read it youll see that he want to fit the driveshaft and the exhaust side by side, so if its to be guessed, the transfer case will work with US tunnel, and just come up with some cutom exhaust piping

Build Thread

You are here entirely tooo much!! seth98esT's Avatar
    Yes, and he didnt cut into the firewall, just the firewall back. If you didnt want to custom fab it, just cut the tunnel out of a 2g and mod it slightly. 2g AWD exhaust and 2g FWD exhaust is completely different.
    7g for life!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast