The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Post Count Suggestion

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Showing results 61 to 80 of 142
    Experienced TGC Member
    Like 99Galant said, rep doesnt really mean too much nowadays. Shit there have been a couple of guys that ive seen on TGC and GF that had solid rep and still screwed people over.

Post whoring is a non issue. It doesnt take a rocket scientist to realize something is weird that the guy who joined yesterday has 300+ posts :smt075

And about "searching", sheeiiiit it aint always the best method in getting direct answers. Especially when you type in a phrase and 5+ pages of threads come up. Sometimes its easier to PM someone or make a new thread in search of a specific answer. For example, im still trying to find out if coilovers are more stiff than a good spring and shock/strut combo. Ive gotten a couple of somewhat indirect answers. But id love a suspension thread that had....

Name of suspension
    Price
    Ride quality before
    Ride quality after (hard? or soft?)
    Pics

Unfortunately not everyone is a DIY individual. Most senior members know who to go to when they have questions or want advice. Newbs dont.

But it aint no skin off my ass as to whatever happens. TGC is my second home.:p

I think TGC is a fairly nice spot for newbies. As to not ostracize them, for all other members there are only three very simple rules to follow.

1 - If a noob posts a question thats been asked before, don't just reply "SEARCH!". Have some respect for a fellow Galant owner. I've seen long time members do this and people who have been here a few months. If searching is that easy, use the search for them, and post a link to the thread. Explain to them that searching is easy and effective to find their answers.

2 - If you click on a thread and that urge to post "SEARCH!" goes through your mind... hit the back button! No one is forcing you to post. Move on. Its not difficult.

3 - Lastly... treat new members how you would like to be treated if you were a new member. We were all new members on one forum at one time or another. You want to become a member of the community, but it takes time and its not easy.

Its amazingly simple, isn't it?

We're all here for the same reason, right?

As for rep, whether its a system installed with the forum software or word of mouth.

YOU NEED TO PROVE YOUR OWN WORTH.

I'm not trying to stroke my own ego, but I'm sure most frequent users here know who I am. Love me or hate me, if I post in a tech thread you damn well know that I'm posting for a reason - because I have information that I am willing to share.

You are not your postcount. You are not how long you've been here. Respect others if you want respect.

If you post stupid and incorrect information, you will get red nuggets.

You are here entirely tooo much!! 99 galant's Avatar
    well said pete

Post counts are fine the way they are, no need to make it not count in certain forums, and count in other ones. People can plainly see who is helpful and who isn't, who contributes and who doesn't. Who has an attitude and who doesn't. Who can keep their sanity and who understands that at the end of the day this forum is someone's property and that someone can run it however they see fit.

I wish those of you that haven't been around since 2001/2002 would have see the things we had to go through and the questions EVERYONE had and that we had no answers to those questions other than 'try it and let us know'. Hell back then no one even knew that a lot of 3G stuff fit, or that the only intake mod was BGR's fliptop airbox mod.

Noobs will come and go, people like Ray, and TJ will come and go (and have before). Nothing is new with anything that goes on here, why act like it is? I don't have a problem with Ray, he is a good person at heart I'd like to believe, but you don't shit in someone else's house and expect them to respect you.

At the end of the day you all should see that this isn't put on for free, this isn't a place that you can be allowed to get your jollies off complaining or bashing newbies or other members. You all want this to be a less hostile environment and want the admins and moderators to be responsible for producing the change but the problems (and the positives) are created via the membership as a whole.

If a newb posts a question what use is it to scream 'use the search function'? Not everyone is that computer saavy, nor does everyone care to take the ten seconds to find the post, and actually READ the content of the message involved. Why do you all think that myself, and the other OGs rarely IF EVER post any topics concerning how to do this, how to do that? Or anything else?

We know who to go to without having to post those questions. So if a newb asks that has never owned a Galant, and NEVER been on our forum before and literally has no clue where to start what do you expect them to do? Search? Seriously, do you all know what is made or what modifications you can do to a E55 AMG mercedes? Or your Galants for that matter?

I mean damn, at the least have respect for the person(s) who founded this community and created the ability for you to have and do the things to this platform that you can do. ALL of you have to give credit to BGR who founded this community so long ago when the 8G came out. All of you owe your pride to this car, and the ability to not have to fit the cookie cutter status quo of other modified cars out there.

Hell, I'm one rather vocal person that has crossed paths and words with many here over the years, but I know when to hold my tongue, and what threads and forums to keep petty issues into. Its a common sense reality check for some that want to be internet tough. In any case, in a long roundabout way, post count is fine the way it is.

And I really don't know what the beef is with people who post alot (99Galant). A lot of people slammed him for his early CF work (without knowing what is involved). And you don't see the quality of the CF parts he has now.

A high post count may mean they've posted some non-useful stuff, but that also means THEY'VE READ A LOT MORE than most other people too, and likely over time will know a lot more than most also.

Experienced TGC Member
    Quote Originally Posted by polishmafia View Post
    I think TGC is a fairly nice spot for newbies. As to not ostracize them, for all other members there are only three very simple rules to follow.

1 - If a noob posts a question thats been asked before, don't just reply "SEARCH!". Have some respect for a fellow Galant owner. I've seen long time members do this and people who have been here a few months. If searching is that easy, use the search for them, and post a link to the thread. Explain to them that searching is easy and effective to find their answers.

2 - If you click on a thread and that urge to post "SEARCH!" goes through your mind... hit the back button! No one is forcing you to post. Move on. Its not difficult.

3 - Lastly... treat new members how you would like to be treated if you were a new member. We were all new members on one forum at one time or another. You want to become a member of the community, but it takes time and its not easy.

Its amazingly simple, isn't it?

We're all here for the same reason, right?

You are not your postcount. You are not how long you've been here. Respect others if you want respect.

I agree with this 100000%. I RARELY every flame a newb. I think its stupid. We were all newbs at this site one point and time. If we got the same treatment when we were newbs that ppl have been giving lately then we wouldnt be here. The only reason the community has "gone to shit" is because of ppl jumping on their high fucking horse flaming newbs and blah blah blah. Its lame. If people didnt need the help then they wouldnt ask. Some may be lazy. Some may find the search function hard to use.
    Last edited by Shadow19; 02-03-2009 at 09:43 PM

Dave, your first post was VERY well said.
    Thanks for the second post, its funny how many people havnt been back to see the new work, oh well :smt102

Shadow, I'm one of those that think of it one way when searching, but come up with no results. People use different ways of saying the same thing and it can get frusterating and easier to just make a new post. Hence my "sticky" suggestion. Don't sticky everything, but combine the answers into one.

You are here entirely tooo much!! seth98esT's Avatar
    Guys, everyone is a n00b at one point. Do a search for my name under advanced, hit the last page, read the last few pages of threads I made .... I am not ashamed to say that I once was an uber n00b!

People need to stop taking things so seriously, its an online forum.
    7g for life!

we should just have a New User section, which they can ask questions and people can help them answer? i really dont care, i help out whenever i see something i know about and i see the person made some effort and not talking out their butt.
    00 Galant ES Turbo/5-Speed
    13 GTR

Not a bad idea iced, I also try to help and if I cant i try to point them to someone who will answer a pm.

Quote Originally Posted by RedGalant2k1 View Post
    And I really don't know what the beef is with people who post alot (99Galant). A lot of people slammed him for his early CF work (without knowing what is involved). And you don't see the quality of the CF parts he has now.

A high post count may mean they've posted some non-useful stuff, but that also means THEY'VE READ A LOT MORE than most other people too, and likely over time will know a lot more than most also.
    wait a second, so you are saying that the person that logs in and reads and doesn't post doesn't have as much knowledge as the person who posted a lot ?? There are slot of people who just like to read and not post and I'm sure they read as much as people who posts some useless stuff if not more
    '00 Mitsubishi Galant ES 4g64T (Samantha)
    '01 Mitsubishi Galant ES 4g64 (Daily)
    '02 Mitsubishi Galant ES 4g64 (SCRAPPED)
    '00 Mitsubishi Galant ES 4g64 (SCRAPPED)
    '91 Volvo 740 Turbo B230FT (SOLD)
    '88 Mitsubishi Mighty Max (SOLD)
    '91 Kawasaki ZX7 (SOLD)
    '95 Kawasaki ZX9R

But usually lurkers never end up posting to help. But I see what both you and Dave are suggesting.

I am totally against the whole "noob bashing" thing. As stated before the search button isn't a be all end all solution to peoples questions. Sometimes you have to reword your search 3,4, 5 times before it comes up. I got flamed pretty hard by RAZ so Im loving that he got banned, but I could really care less in the grand scheme of things. This website is for Galant owners who want to spread their knowledge, ideas, etc in regards to GALANTS. Thats it. If I had my old car I wouldn't be here. When it all comes down to it, this e-thuggery that goes on online is pathetic.

You are here entirely tooo much!! Stewi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by qnz View Post
    whats wrong with noobs asking dumb questions. we've all asked dumb questions. you allergic to helping people?

I hope we dont have that rep system here. its going become like club3g where once a noob asks a dumb question, forum bullies scream "noob" and give them negative rep. thats gonna scare any new members away.

then theres things like if a noob says another member is wrong, then the forum bullies all give the new guy neg rep with comments like "dont ever talk back to qnz", or some other homo shit.

that is what club3g is like today
    x3

I effing hate club3g 99% of the time im on there. Dont get me wrong, you have a small group of good guys who know alot and help out, then you have the dipshits. Perfect example, I had some relevant questions today and I couldnt get a post in before the big bad pumpkin had something wonderful to say. we dont need shit like that here, people who just flame and start trouble need to be out. I never had any problems with Raz, but its obvious alot of others did, so what happened, happened.
    Quote Originally Posted by qnz
    well there are talkers and there are do'ers. talkers never do. and do'ers never talk
    99' Galant ES
    4G64/63T
    AEM EMS

Honeslty.. i dont care if i say this or not.. but lately this hasnt been a car forum but rather just a talk forum. I love this site, the car club and TGCNJ/NY/SI.. people really need to realize that arguments happen all the time and if people cant be mature about it then wtf.

Ray had his own thing while BGR had his own.. if i was admin it be different.. but thats not the case nor do i want the responsibility... shit happens.. ppl bashed tj but when he finally did wat he wanted to do.. ppl still bashed him.. honeslty if you care for the car itself, youll enjoy all the achievements ppl do

with the new users section..if i joined the forum with a question.. i wouldnt go to new users section because people tend to flame noobs for the stupidest reasons ( not just our forum but a lot of them)

i guess you really cant do much but just help,advise, and guide
    04 Maxima SL in Bronze with Black leather

i think we should make a section thats called basic info.
    this should be a thread they have to read, first (ie they cant post for there first 24 hrs [cept with a special permission]) this should curve 80% of the newb threads, and instead of saying search, we could say check the basic thread [link]

what are the most commonly asked ?s, how can i get my g to have X hp?,
    i can't find an intake on ebay all i see is stuff for a 2000-2005(or other "swappable gen clipse") eclipse help?
    i bought an ebay turbo kit how do i install this?
    how do i do a five speed swap?
    i want (jdm part) how do install it or get it?
    i want a carbon fiber hood/trunk for Xgen where can i get it, what are some styles?
    hey my 8g is making a ticking sound is this normal?
    Where can i get hids, what bulbs do we use,
    where do i get this grill?
    do these wheels fit(common size)?
    how much would a i4 to v6 (or v8) conversion cost?
    how do i turbo my XG?
    how do i beat a (v6 subura, v8 mustanf ect ect) in a street race with my stock g?
    (and suspension ?s not a topic i can remember from easily)
    and more if a mod/member could have access to it while it would be read only to the rest (or you could post but the "mod" of that thread could delete unneccisary posts.
    Last edited by dwjp90; 02-04-2009 at 12:01 AM

we need something like this. this is kind of a spoof but it has truth to it as well and it was well written. most newbs end up reading it when they first get on some of the Audi forums. i thought it was pretty funny

http://forums.audiworld.com/s4/msgs/2008685.phtml

i just realized im a 'veteran' member... sweet
    RIP GALANT, GOOD MORNING BMW 330i

330i ZSP (E90) - S4 (B5) / hellaflush

Quote Originally Posted by dwjp90 View Post
    i think we should make a section thats called basic info.
    this should be a thread they have to read, first (ie they cant post for there first 24 hrs [cept with a special permission]) this should curve 80% of the newb threads, and instead of saying search, we could say check the basic thread [link]

what are the most commonly asked ?s, how can i get my g to have X hp?,
    i can't find an intake on ebay all i see is stuff for a 2000-2005(or other "swappable gen clipse") eclipse help?
    i bought an ebay turbo kit how do i install this?
    how do i do a five speed swap?
    i want (jdm part) how do install it or get it?
    i want a carbon fiber hood/trunk for Xgen where can i get it, what are some styles?
    hey my 8g is making a ticking sound is this normal?
    Where can i get hids, what bulbs do we use,
    where do i get this grill?
    do these wheels fit(common size)?
    how much would a i4 to v6 (or v8) conversion cost?
    how do i turbo my XG?
    how do i beat a (v6 subura, v8 mustanf ect ect) in a street race with my stock g?
    (and suspension ?s not a topic i can remember from easily)
    and more if a mod/member could have access to it while it would be read only to the rest (or you could post but the "mod" of that thread could delete unneccisary posts.
    ^X2^

i think that we should have something that tells which members to ask for help with a certain things on a 6,7,8,9etc. G and what other members can offer to help with. Also as far a bashing noobs that its the thing to do becuz u was a noob as well wen u 1st joined nd if it happened to u then u didnt like it so do to others as u would want done to u. Some members on here can act really harsh or not care bout there fellow G members and that isn't right but we do need a system which can help noobs/members to go and get valid information that can help solve or better our questions instead of sayin SEARCH that can really put some members down not all know what to look under to find what it is that there searching for. There should be something that give us good search tabs so we dont have to make stupid posts and get bashed!!!

I really don't care about post count or status. I would love to be a moderator, but I want to gain alot more knowledge before I would even consider that status. There are post whores like 9G (has two to three word posts in threads), but no matter what "popular" forum you go to there will be these type of members. Rank doesn't really affect me either because I am not going to make 50 posts a day just to see a different user title under my member name.

Quote Originally Posted by Boosted View Post
    I really don't care about post count or status. I would love to be a moderator, but I want to gain alot more knowledge before I would even consider that status. There are post whores like 9G (has two to three word posts in threads), but no matter what "popular" forum you go to there will be these type of members. Rank doesn't really affect me either because I am not going to make 50 posts a day just to see a different user title under my member name.
    9G is quite knowledgeable about this platform too though.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast