The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Radiator crack

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 27

Radiator crack

Hey guys,

I just found out that my radiator has hairline cracks and I see some coolant coming out from it when I wiped it off. Does that mean my radiator has gone bad (no occurrence of overheating)? Is it fixable or should I just buy a new one? (I found some on ebay with really cheap one). Thanks all for your help...

You are here entirely tooo much!! RAZ_76's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jhendra83 View Post
    Hey guys,

I just found out that my radiator has hairline cracks and I see some coolant coming out from it when I wiped it off. Does that mean my radiator has gone bad (no occurrence of overheating)? Is it fixable or should I just buy a new one? (I found some on ebay with really cheap one). Thanks all for your help...
    Buy a new one. NO way to fix that. Some will tell you to use JB Weld and that's fine if you are the guy that likes to half ass everything. If you are not that guy then get a new radiator. Mine did the same thing, on top right by the filler cap. Went and bought a new one locally for 110 bucks. Ebay has them that cheap too.

Thanks Ray...yes it's on the same spot by the filler radiator cap. I'm gonna get one from ebay but do you know what caused that cracks? Does it matter with any brands or mitsu specific?

Thanks Ray...yes it's on the same spot by the filler radiator cap. I'm gonna get one from ebay but do you know what caused that cracks? Does it matter with any brands or mitsu specific?
    Any time dude and poor design would be my guess to why it cracks. Mine is not Mitsubishi brand and works just fine. Just because it's factory doesn't always mean better.

Experienced TGC Member Dominicano's Avatar
    i fixed my crack with a 5 radiator kit from O'riellys and it has not given me any problems, I plan to get a new one but the kit has worked so far, it contains the hardner and expoxy and it also comes with a piece of fiberglass mat. and it wasnt half assed.

You are here entirely tooo much!! 99 galant's Avatar
    I got mine for cheap off eBay, no problems yet. It was brand new too.

A cracked radiator is an automatic replacement in my book. I've had my share of disaster with repairs. It's a vital part of your car that should be in good shape and not take chances with glue or other fixing methods. Fixing a cracked or damaged radiator is half assed in my book, I would never do it.
    Last edited by RAZ_76; 02-03-2009 at 12:36 PM

8 months ago.. I had my freaken radiator explode on me... i cant even figure out how that happened..

Driving on the freeway... and boom.. I was on shit what now... and all you smell is something sweet... and i pulled over to see my radiator cracked in 5 places...

Kazikai...where did you get your radiator? is getting one from ebay safe in term of quality?

Experienced TGC Member 02redgalant's Avatar
    I bought an all metal one at radiator barn at 175 I recall..lifetime warranty too..

If you have the V6, I found a replacement radiator for $110.95 with shipping:
    http://www.go-part.com/9900-mitsubis...html?year=2000

You are here entirely tooo much!! 4-G-rim's Avatar
    Well if its the original radiator there are several factors that may of caused it to crack or fail. It could range from you doing scheduled coolant flushes, exposure to elements (heat, cold, etc) and just age.

I wouldn't suggest to fixing the leaking with any type of over the counter radiator "leak fix" type of additive. That will only temporarily fix the problem and will only cause flow issues in the cooling system. I would just replace the whole radiator, new thermostat and new coolant and call it a day.

1991 Galant VR4 1948/2000_________1996 Galant "S" 5 speed 2.4L turbo

i agree, change the radiator, buy new hoses, new coolant, thermostat and also some atf since the oil cooler is there with the radiator.

Webhosting for less than $3 a month? put "pinoyesv6" as a promo code.

Update:

OK now that I replaced my radiator and hoses and voila no more leaks...HOWEVER...here comes another problem. I noticed a white smoke coming out from the engine just a few minutes after I start the car. Since my problem has been with the radiator/coolant leak, I'm assuming this smoke caused by bad head gasket or it burns oil. No occurrence of overheating found. Suggestion?

Thanks

check ur oil 2 c if it has bubbles or like a kinda choclte shake consintency if yes coolant has entered cylnders;NOT GOOD BRO.did ur whip over heat at all?

You are here entirely tooo much!! Jeffylou87's Avatar
    Could have been some overflow or some coolant got onto the engine and is burning?

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffylou87 View Post
    Could have been some overflow or some coolant got onto the engine and is burning?

X2 happens when coolant spills on the fans

just check ur oil 4 its consitency(not sure if i spelled that rite) it will indicate what is goin on in block bro.

The very same thing happened to me today. I was at a light and noticed a bit of smoke and I get out to check at a gas station and there is a tiny hairline crack right on the top of the radiator. So temporarily I am going to patch it up, but how hard is it on a scale of 1-10 to replace it myself? I don't want to pay someone as I've put over a grand into my car in January. Its a 4 cylinder BTW

Experienced TGC Member johnygezony's Avatar
    Mine Just Cracked, about a 3 inch long hairline crack that fluid flows out of. I have a v6. I just ordered a new one for around 100.00 $ but that is because i have ties with a Mitsubishi salesman (hes my dad) so i get my parts cheap.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast