The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Melted headlight harness

Showing results 1 to 11 of 11

Melted headlight harness

So my bulb was almost out, I bought new bulbs, went to replace them and saw that my passenger headlight harness is melted. I'm just wondering if you all recommend getting a stock harness from a yard or just going to an auto store and getting a 9003 harness. Thanks for the help.

Buy a heavy duty 9003 wire harness from your local auto store. If you get one from the junk yard, not only will it cost about the same price as a new heavy duty wire harness, you'll end up experiencing the burnout all over again.

While you're at it, replace the other side, too. Trust me on this.

I wish they had these when I first got the Galant back in 99, but now on Ebay, they sell plug and play heavy duty wiring harnesses. Way back then (and apparently you must still be running high wattage bulbs) when HID kits weren't so affordable, the rage was to put high wattage pseudo-Xenon bulbs in their headlights. The only thing this did was fry the wiring harness. However, the point I'm trying to make, on Ebay, they sell plug and play heavy duty wiring harnesses. For now, since your stock harness is fried, you're going to have to splice your stock wires, with the heavy duty wires of the 9003/H4 harness you can pick up at your local auto store.

This is the plugs you're going to need, because you fried your existing stock harness:
    It's only $10.88 including shipping from Ebay. I paid that much locally for 1 harness.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/H4/90...01110006r23343

If you never fried your wires, you could have bought these - plug and play:

To add what Rich said, once you get the heavy duty harness you can put back those after market bulbs that likely melted your harness in the first place.
    Chip

2000 Basalt Black Metallic GTZ
    (Paint Code: Porsche LC9Z)

Genuine experience carries a lot more credibility than the ability to answer a question.

actually no they are not aftermarket bulbs. Thanks for the help.

You are here entirely tooo much!! Jeffylou87's Avatar
    I just bought a set for my gf's galant because I pit aftermarket bulbs in there..

I actually just put a set of the plug and play harnesses in my coworkers 3G cause he wanted to upgrade to some brighter headlights and I already experienced the melted harnesses in my 8G, and I didn't want him to have to deal with it like I did
    Jason - - cofounder of TGCNY
    click banner to enter the NY Chapter

2001 Galant ES
    2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Special Edition

put new high temp harnesses on today. Everything is working well. Hopefully nothing happens later.

i need to try that too...

Experienced TGC Member SleekGTZ's Avatar
    Interesting. I'm planning to upgrade my fog lights (H3) and theres a HID kit I'm looking at but it's rated at 70w, I believe our stock is 55w.

Has anyone here put on 70w bulbs before?

the factory fog lights were like 37.5w so 70w would be almost double.

Webhosting for less than $3 a month? put "pinoyesv6" as a promo code.

Experienced TGC Member SleekGTZ's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pinoyesv6 View Post
    the factory fog lights were like 37.5w so 70w would be almost double.
    Really? The stock harness probably won't stand a chance. I may have to make my own harness and use a relay.......or just get a low wattage bulb.