The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Want to go Skiing Any recommendations? PA Area

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 31

Want to go Skiing Any recommendations? PA Area

Hey guys, me and some close friends want to hit the slopes at the end of the month. Anybody know any good places in PA? I just know about the poconos we are also looking for a weekend home any good places around the slopes you guys recommend i check out? i'd greatly appreciate any help, also looking to spend about 800 max for the 2 days for the house. have 6-8 people
    00 Galant ES Turbo/5-Speed
    13 GTR

You are here entirely tooo much!! fatal1's Avatar
    i havent been for a while but i have gone to a few places in the pocconos which were all good.. on the other side, jersey has a lot of places but they are more of a one day thing, there are hotels near them though...pocconos is prob a better bet

Bear Creek Mountain.

You are here entirely tooo much!! Stewi's Avatar
    In the poconos there is a place that rents cabins out for the weekend. Its fairly cheap too, a cabin to sleep 8 people usually runs around $400-500 for the weekend. I will get the name of the place tomorrow, my family goes every year with my little cousins and stuff to go snowtubing during winter break. Ron send me a PM to remind me about it tomorrow and I will get you the info.

BTW they arent like primitive log cabins, yes they are wooden cabins but they have up to date technology.
    Quote Originally Posted by qnz
    well there are talkers and there are do'ers. talkers never do. and do'ers never talk
    99' Galant ES
    4G64/63T
    AEM EMS

okay great thanks stewi..ill send you a pm, i still didn't forget about that rear lip fitment just been too cold outside for me to try it, but ill do it today since its 64 =)
    13 GTR

Blue mountain, http://www.skibluemt.com/ I try to go there a couple times a year only day trips never stayed overnite. It's a good mountain to go skiing on. Check out the website for prices. Have fun where ever you go !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

people still ski? i quit skiing 15 years ago... snowboarding is way more fun!

haha yeah we manly wanna go tubeing but few of us said we'd tried boarding. I'm sure well have fun take some case's of beer few bottles of liq. I wanna go paintballing though
    13 GTR

Bear creek blows....ski either Blue Mt., Elk Mt. (2 hours west of NJ), or Jack Frost/Big Boulder
    Light em up.

Quote Originally Posted by Reelax View Post
    people still ski? i quit skiing 15 years ago... snowboarding is way more fun!
    LOL

I can ski well, I can ski-board well, but im learning to snowboard.

I love the ski boards because it feels just like rollerblading/ice skating to me, and being that I played hockey from when I was 10 thru the college level its like second nature to me. The only thing I fear on the skiboards is that the bindings dont release, I go off jumps and into the pipe with them, and I have never fallen in such a way to cause injury because i know how to fall. I cant say the same for my wife, she shattered her left tibia and broke her left fibula over the new years weekend on skiboards. After that, im pretty sure I will never use them again because that will always be in the back of my mind.
    well there are talkers and there are do'ers. talkers never do. and do'ers never talk
    99' Galant ES
    4G64/63T
    AEM EMS

Quote Originally Posted by Stewi View Post
    LOL

I can ski well, I can ski-board well, but im learning to snowboard.

I love the ski boards because it feels just like rollerblading/ice skating to me, and being that I played hockey from when I was 10 thru the college level its like second nature to me. The only thing I fear on the skiboards is that the bindings dont release, I go off jumps and into the pipe with them, and I have never fallen in such a way to cause injury because i know how to fall. I cant say the same for my wife, she shattered her left tibia and broke her left fibula over the new years weekend on skiboards. After that, im pretty sure I will never use them again because that will always be in the back of my mind.
    ski boarding... like snowbaldes? those look dope, i'm gonna try those out next time... but i love boarding! just got back from a trip to NORTHSTAR (north lake tahoe) 2 weeks ago. my girl bought me a snow board and i had to put it to good use. only thing was the 11 hour drive on the way home kinda sucked ass... i don't envy u guys that have to drive in the snow all the time!

Quote Originally Posted by Reelax View Post
    ski boarding... like snowbaldes? those look dope, i'm gonna try those out next time... but i love boarding! just got back from a trip to NORTHSTAR (north lake tahoe) 2 weeks ago. my girl bought me a snow board and i had to put it to good use. only thing was the 11 hour drive on the way home kinda sucked ass... i don't envy u guys that have to drive in the snow all the time!
    yes like snow blades.

ski boards tho are shaped like freestyle snowboards with identical twin tips and the boot/binding is centered on the ski.

snoblades are more like very short shaped skis and the boot/binding is more
    toward the rear

Reelax, BE CAREFUL if you try them. The bindings DO NOT RELEASE! So if you fall and get the snoblade stuck in the snow or ice (like my wife did) you will snap your leg like a twig. Your leg is very vulnerable just above the top of the boot, because thats the very first place your leg can twist.

Ron, if you try snowboard for the first time, wear wristguards, if not, be extremely careful to fall forward on your forearms and dont put your hands out. The first time I feel on a snowboard forward was a full speed total wipe out. When i got up, i said "Thank effing god I wore these wristguards" Even with them on my wrists hurt like hell from how hard I hit.
    99' Galant ES
    4G64/63T
    AEM EMS

TGCNY/the rest Ski meet!!!
    2.4L - AWD - 5SPEED - PTE 6057 at __PSI w/Wavetrac LSD

yes like snow blades.

ski boards tho are shaped like freestyle snowboards with identical twin tips and the boot/binding is centered on the ski.

snoblades are more like very short shaped skis and the boot/binding is more
    toward the rear

Reelax, BE CAREFUL if you try them. The bindings DO NOT RELEASE! So if you fall and get the snoblade stuck in the snow or ice (like my wife did) you will snap your leg like a twig. Your leg is very vulnerable just above the top of the boot, because thats the very first place your leg can twist.

Ron, if you try snowboard for the first time, wear wristguards, if not, be extremely careful to fall forward on your forearms and dont put your hands out. The first time I feel on a snowboard forward was a full speed total wipe out. When i got up, i said "Thank effing god I wore these wristguards" Even with them on my wrists hurt like hell from how hard I hit.
    i would also add to TAKE A LESSON. alot of people say that they will just "figure" it out w/ out a lesson; well those people usually get hurt and then give up. unless you are very experienced in board sports, u won't b able to just pick it up w/o help. i did, but that was before they gave lessons, and i was VERY experienced on a skateboard and was a skiier for 10 years allready (so i understood the mountain and snow, etc.). if you can pull off and control 4 wheel slides at will on a skateboard on cement (front side AND backside), then u MIGHT be able to just figure it out, cuz that's kinda what u are doing on a snowboard, but why risk pain and struggle when u can have an instructor guide u past the hardest parts? also don't wear jeans... u will be miserable as they will soak and u will be soggy and cold; get some snow pants a the least. dedicated snowboard pants would b best because they r reinforced in the butt and knees, the two parts that will be in the snow the most.

Experienced TGC Member 6G72gearhead's Avatar
    Getting an excessive acceleration ticket.

Find two really lonely guys, lol.
    RIP: Colin McRae, you will be missed.
    "I shall go before thee and make the crooked places straight."

2001 ES V6 M/T under construction
    1991 Volvo 244ti 300 whp daily driver
    www.gooichimotorsports.com

Quote Originally Posted by GOOSEY2099 View Post
    TGCNY/the rest Ski meet!!!
    lol DONE

send me the PM as well.. i think i wanna take a few people to that place as well. my girl loves snowboarding and i cant balance for my life on it. I tried it for 2 years and i got no where. Sking on the other hand is awesome but im more of a tubing person or rather a sledding. I do enjoy making igloos though lol
    04 Maxima SL in Bronze with Black leather

I've been learning to snowboard (with my son) for the last few years. I skiied like mad through college, almost weekly. Last Friday, we went, and I yanked the skis out of the closet, dusted them off and hit it. What a blast. I was getting some funny looks because skis have changed a lot since I bought these in the 80s. They're 195cm long and really skinny.

I had a great time, just flying down the hills, but hope to get my snowboarding up to that level someday, so the skis are back in the closet for now.

+1 on the wristguard recommendation, I bought some nice Burton gloves with built in wrist support.

Have fun!
    Q

~~~~~~~~~~~
    8G (2002) ES 4G64

Quote Originally Posted by Queue View Post
    I've been learning to snowboard (with my son) for the last few years. I skiied like mad through college, almost weekly. Last Friday, we went, and I yanked the skis out of the closet, dusted them off and hit it. What a blast. I was getting some funny looks because skis have changed a lot since I bought these in the 80s. They're 195cm long and really skinny.

I had a great time, just flying down the hills, but hope to get my snowboarding up to that level someday, so the skis are back in the closet for now.

+1 on the wristguard recommendation, I bought some nice Burton gloves with built in wrist support.

Have fun!
    LOL

yeah ski technology has come a long way. I rode a pair off freestyle ski's and its insane, you can ski backwards, do jumps, etc.

I also really like the new Salomon X-wing ski's, they rent them at CamelBack and they are a really really good all around ski.
    99' Galant ES
    4G64/63T
    AEM EMS

LOL

yeah ski technology has come a long way. I rode a pair off freestyle ski's and its insane, you can ski backwards, do jumps, etc.

I also really like the new Salomon X-wing ski's, they rent them at CamelBack and they are a really really good all around ski.

mebbe next time I get the urge to ski, I'll try out some demo skis. That could be fun...
    Q

~~~~~~~~~~~
    8G (2002) ES 4G64

we decide on the house below, but just looking for other options by tomorrow, since we have to put the deposit down asap.

http://www.vacationhomes.com/20844

also, i got few admission, to the slopes my yuengling sales guy is giving me 10 free pass's ($50) a pop which works out since we have 10 people now. So we decided to get a better house since we dont have to pay anymore
    13 GTR

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast