The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Exhaust

Showing results 1 to 7 of 7
    TGC Regular

Exhaust

OK i know this is somewhere on here and this is a stupid question to be asking. I dont really have too much time to search right now. What is a good exhaust to put on my car i know the eclipse will work but wich trim? Anyone have a good muffler to suggest too? thanks

Experienced TGC Member showtime's Avatar
    eclpise exhaust works but you have to extend your piping about 10 inches. you best option is buy a muffler and take it to an exhaust shop and have them fabricate some exhaust and weld on the muffler. Our stock piping is 2.25", you should get a little larger maybe 2.5 or 2.75" piping from the cat back. anyone correct me if im worng.

You are here entirely tooo much!! 4-G-rim's Avatar
    2g Eclipse or Talon FWD turbo exhaust will work on your 7g, BUT since the Galant is a little bit longer...the exhaust will have to be cut and extended by a few inches.

Cheap Ebay mufflers are garbage simple by poor quality and design. If you are concerned on exhaust notes (sound)...it really depends on a few things like design, muffler insulation, resonators, etc etc.

If you are looking for a great quality but affordable exhaust...I would look into Megan Racing products.

1991 Galant VR4 1948/2000_________1996 Galant "S" 5 speed 2.4L turbo

TGC Regular
    thanks 4 g you always have good advice. Now what about going 3 in piping? will it affect me in a negative way? I belive that the pipe comming from my new headers are 3 in....

TGC Regular
    also with the mgan racing whats the diff between the turbo muffler and the reg muffler???? the universal ones
    Last edited by skrap; 02-09-2009 at 10:34 AM

You are here entirely tooo much!! 4-G-rim's Avatar
    3 inch diameter exhaust on a n/a motor will effect performance by a dramatic loss of backpressure. Yes free flowing exhaust is good..but too much for a n/a motor will effect its low end power. Not only that...it will be insanely loud, enough to gain you attention by the cops and annoy people.

I wouldn't go higher than a 2.50 exhaust on a n/a motor. Now for a turbo car...yes, its good because the turbo greatly benefits from a free flowing exhaust.

But to each its own...if you are planning to go turbo, I would probably go with a 3 inch exhaust, but you may want to consider installing a silencer on the muffler to reduce the noise.

"Universal" mufflers are basically a muffler you can "add on" to your existing catback with no real specific application because it may take some modification to make it work.

1991 Galant VR4 1948/2000_________1996 Galant "S" 5 speed 2.4L turbo

Quote Originally Posted by showtime View Post
    eclpise exhaust works but you have to extend your piping about 10 inches. you best option is buy a muffler and take it to an exhaust shop and have them fabricate some exhaust and weld on the muffler. Our stock piping is 2.25", you should get a little larger maybe 2.5 or 2.75" piping from the cat back. anyone correct me if im worng.
    You have to extend it after the cat and before the muffler. 6 inch's after the cat and 6 inch's before the muffler. so that all the hangers will line up still. If you just to it before the muffler the hangers will not line up all the way back.

Also on the cat end you will need to add the angle of the cat for a eclipse idk y they put the flange one a angle but they do.

i just bolted the pipe to the cat and welded the extension in.

here is what mine looked like and where i put the extension.

1996 galant s
    finishing up my 2.4L DOHC, 10.5:1, precision sc60, meth injected MONSTER.