The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Water pump on 92 Galant..

Showing results 1 to 4 of 4
    Rdway

Water pump on 92 Galant..

Hi All!,
    Am new here,...this board was suggested to me by a mopar member as the place for a Galant owner. "Here I Am!"
    My waterpump AND auto trans went "South" at the same time on me. Getting Tranny reworked right now and think I'll do water pump myself to save a few bucks. Tranny is estimated at 1500. to 1800. "Ouch" Wondering if anything to lookout for in doing pump. Any surprises?
    Thanks in advance,
    Chris Todd

TGC Regular
    hey, welcome to the board!

i have a 92 galant and my tranny costed $1,000 for a complete rebuild. it wasnt the best quality though. id hunt around for a better price on that. the water pump i dont know though :?

yes. the pump is not easy to do.

the twin balance shafts and dual timing belts complicate things. and although all the sprockets have timing marks on them, there is more to lining up the belt than just aligning the marks.
    the oil pump drive sprocket also happens to be geared to a balance shaft. no problem here, except it spins at twice the speed of the oil pump.
    so what this means is that you could have the oil pump sprocket lined up, but still be 360 degrees off! if you do this, the balance shaft will actually AMPLIFY the vibration rather than elminate it. Its REALLY annoying.
    there is a plug on the back of the block that you can remove to verify the balance shaft is at the bottom of its bore.

bongi
    since you're there change the timing belts, too