The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: 9g ('04-'09) amp mounting?

Showing results 1 to 15 of 15
    rocgalant

9g ('04-'09) amp mounting?

Hola. I got a '09 Galant and I'm still waiting for my PA OV4-840 to arrive in the mail for my speakers. I've been racking my brain for weeks though trying to figure a spot to mount the amp when it arrives. It's too big to go under the seat (passenger's feet will step on it) and I need as much trunk space as possible (baby stuff, stroller and whatnot). And I can't really put it along the walls of the trunk because doesn't have any flat surfaces, it's all weird shaped. Does anybody have any pics or ideas for mounting? I was thinking about getting a piece of MDF board and placing it in the spot where the ski-port is. That would work I guess but I am hoping to do it without going through that whole process. Any ideas?

Heated Heavy
    a station wagon for the kid? lol No I dont know. Havent Got my amp yet but under the passenger seat is a metal plate. Any amp wont fit there.
    Last edited by Heated Heavy; 02-10-2009 at 07:32 PM

You are here entirely tooo much!! Jeffylou87's Avatar
    You could mount it underneath the rear deck.. That's all metal under there..

rocgalant
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffylou87 View Post
    You could mount it underneath the rear deck.. That's all metal under there..
    By that, do you mean I should mount it upside down? Wouldn't that be bad cuz the heat from the amp would radiate up back to the amp? Or did I miss something?

Amps are made to mount whatever way you want.. Doesn't matter which way you install it. If there's fans built in, they're going to do their jobs no matter how they sit. If there are no fans, the heatsinking shell is there for a reason. The metal that it will be mounted to will dissapate heat too.

My amp has been mounted vertical for about a year now and it's attached to the box.. No damage yet. If amps can stand the vibration, I'm sure they could handle the heat.

rocgalant
    My amp has been mounted vertical for about a year now and it's attached to the box.. No damage yet. If amps can stand the vibration, I'm sure they could handle the heat.
    Thanks big guy. My amp doesn't have any fans and it's a Power Acoustik so it probably has a moderate if not below average MOSFET. I'm still kind of worried about the heat radiating back up to the amp.

It might be okay though if I mount it directly to the metal like you said and that would solve my problem. I'll that and see how it works out. Thanks buddy.
    Last edited by rocgalant; 02-11-2009 at 09:50 AM

Well, if you are worried about heat, you could just mount the amp on top of the box.. I've been through a number of different set ups and amps can handle it.. I don't have access to my pictures right now but if you click on the link in my sig for my sound system for sale, you could see a few pics of how it's set up.

Experienced TGC Member ZigenScarface's Avatar
    notice how the heat fins on an amp are on the top and not bottom.. heat rises.. not too good of an idea to mount upside down.. more wear n tear on the amp.. just remove ur spare tire and put it there

rocgalant
    Well, if you are worried about heat, you could just mount the amp on top of the box.. I've been through a number of different set ups and amps can handle it.. I don't have access to my pictures right now but if you click on the link in my sig for my sound system for sale, you could see a few pics of how it's set up.
    Thanks again. I don't have a box though. I'm just wiring the 4 speakers in my car. I clicked on the link but it said that the post expired.

Quote Originally Posted by ZigenScarface View Post
    notice how the heat fins on an amp are on the top and not bottom.. heat rises.. not too good of an idea to mount upside down.. more wear n tear on the amp.. just remove ur spare tire and put it there
    Thanks Scar. I'm going to mount it upside down for the reason you said. I'm going to mount it sideways so that it is posted to the metal on the area where the back seat is. I'm hoping that way, the heat will still rise and not interfere with the amp and it should have enough air space to dissipate the heat. The spare location is a good idea but I think I want to keep my spare;-)

Here is a link to the amp. If you go to the site and click on the pics, it opens really large pics of the amp, which is helpful to see...
    http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...+OV4-840.html#
    Last edited by rocgalant; 02-11-2009 at 10:33 AM

Ok.. I'll update it.. Brb

Experienced TGC Member ZigenScarface's Avatar
    which of the 9g models come preamped?

rocgalant
    Quote Originally Posted by ZigenScarface View Post
    which of the 9g models come preamped?
    They used Infinity from '04-'06. I don't know exactly cuz I don't have one of those years. I have to assume that the ones with the Infinity (not the standard) system are pre-amped.

Then '07-'09 use Rockford Fosgate. So only the ones with the Rockford system are amped.

hope this helps

If it has a sunroof, it has an upgraded sound system..

Here's the updated post.
    http://newjersey.craigslist.org/ele/1003920349.html

rocgalant
    If it has a sunroof, it has an upgraded sound system..

Here's the updated post.
    http://newjersey.craigslist.org/ele/1003920349.html
    Thanks Jeffy. I don't have a box though. I'm just running my speakers on the amp. No sub. I'm going to try and mount the amp on the trunk side of the back seat. Hopefully with all that aluminum, it will provide a good base to help with the heat like someone stated in this post. I'm going to try and install it this weekend. I'll post a thread with pics for all the 9G world to see.:smt023