The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: rust at the bottom of the doors.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Showing results 21 to 26 of 26
    I did some sheet metal repair on my old truck, worked well.

inspected the other doors. Looks like, passenger front is the worst out of the four. The drivers door is damn near perfect just going to fix the small spots that are starting to rust. The left rear isn't bad either might be able to save it. And you all know what the passenger rear looks. So looks like I might be able to save the left side, the pass front for sure needs to be replaced, and the passenger rear is TBA.

drivers front.

drivers rear

passenger front

passenger rear with a little bit of work getting done to it.

another question, what is that bead on the bottom of the door? is it some kind of silicone or some kind of sealant. If anyone knows, let me know so I can replace it.
    Jigz-TGCIL Sosick Motorsports

R.I.P. Christopher "CRAZY CHRIS" Beckmann
    "you dont appreciate friendship until you lose your bestfriend...."
    I'd rather have the knowledge and ability to do it than the money to buy it already done.

You know, a good way to prevent this is to use some white lithium grease. I personally buy some in a spray can and put the little straw attachment on and spray it inside the "weep holes" (not enough to block the holes mind you) and all along the bottom of the door. Then I wipe off the excess while leaving some of the grease in all the little seams, nooks and crannies. It really does the trick. Not a spot of rust on the bottoms of the doors (even through some pretty harsh winters here in PA),,,,,I do wash it frequently in the winter though....sometimes 2 times a week. Just a heads up.

Just a guess, but I think it may be a bead of seam sealer.

Experienced TGC Member johnygezony's Avatar
    I gotta get on that, seeing as i have a little bit of rust down there but its not nearly as bad as his 4g63lover's

Make sure you clean the bottom of the doors with soap when you wash your car then wipe it down good and dry to get all the salt off. My driver's side door has rust but not that bad.

I bought some spray that turns rust into black primer, I'm going to use that to slow the rust down.

Quote Originally Posted by spardavr4 View Post
    Make sure you clean the bottom of the doors with soap when you wash your car then wipe it down good and dry to get all the salt off. My driver's side door has rust but not that bad.

I bought some spray that turns rust into black primer, I'm going to use that to slow the rust down.
    I used rust converter on different areas before (both the spray and brush on types),,,it does slow it down,,,but after a while it flaked off and the rust started to come through again.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12