The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Speaker suggestions

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 23

Speaker suggestions

So, I'm planning on upgrading my front speakers to complement my sound system a bit. I currently have a Kenwood Excelon deck, with a Non-infinity speaker setup. I'm not planning to go for a component setup, as I'm not that much into loud music in the car, although I like a little quality.

I'm looking for recommendations for just the front speakers for now, for good quality sound. I'm thinking the Infinity Kappa 652.9i or maybe some Polks that will fit? I'm not good with knowing the difference between the brands, so looking for some advice here please.

Also, if you guys have better recommendations than the ones above, let me know. And what's the difference between 2 way, 3 way and 4 way speakers too?

i heard pheonix gold rsd is good.
    also i heard infinity is good.

rocgalant
    I had Infinity Kappa 4x6 in my old hatchback and they were extremely clear. No bass as you might imagine with 4x6 speakers. I currently have a polk db 651s (s- for shallow) in the front and polk mmc690s in the rear. The polks are great and I highly recommend if you want to spend around $100 depending where you shop. They are clear and get as loud as my stock radio can go without any distortion. Very clear and good mid-bass. With that in mind, if you spend a little extra like $130 range, then you can get components. You can put the speaker in the door and the tweeter in the stock tweeter location (assuming you have a 9g galant. I don't know about the other generations). Here is a link to the site that I found for those components.

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...nt+System.html

You are here entirely tooo much!! IVORY_G's Avatar
    I would recommend infinitys, i havent heard Polks first hand, but heard they are good also. Best way to find out what u like is to go listen them at Best Buy or Circuit City. 2 ways consist of one tweeter and the woofer, the more # of ways for example 3 ways 4 ways, then the more tweeters.
    JDM Zenki Conversion

Lazy hands make for poverty, but diligent hands bring wealth. (Proverbs 10:4 NIV)

Thanks guys for the responses. But if I do get the components that would mean that I need to get an Amp too right, and it would mean I need to replace more than just the 2 speakers?

Ivory, I think your idea about going and trying them out at Best Buy is a great idea, I hope they have the two models that I'm looking at.

dknight, have you experienced the phoenix rsds? The type of music that I listen to mostly tends to be rock oriented. So that should be a consideration for what I need in a speaker right?

rocgalant
    [QUOTE=tamim13;470386]Thanks guys for the responses. But if I do get the components that would mean that I need to get an Amp too right, and it would mean I need to replace more than just the 2 speakers?

QUOTE]

You wouldn't need an amp. I have MMC690s (6x9s) on my rear deck. They are rated 100w rms like the components that I linked here. My speakers sound incredible to me and I'm running them off my factory radio (puts out something like 20w rms at the most). I can turn my radio to the max and it still sounds perfect, clear highs, clear and surprising deep bass, no distortion. I really think that you can't go wrong if you can shell out the extra $ but that's me. Anybody have any thoughts?
    As far as replacing speakers, yes you would need to replace the door speakers and the factory tweeters on the dash (again assuming you have a 9g galant). Here are some links that I recently posted that may help if you are considering the possibilities of changing the speakers...

https://www.thegalantcenter.org/showthread.php?t=34683

https://www.thegalantcenter.org/showthread.php?t=34126

And I would definitely recommend getting a panel removal tool from Pep Boys type spot. There are like $6 and worth much more than that in time saved.

As you can tell, I'm pretty well sold on Polks. Maybe someone else can chime in with some other brands.
    Last edited by rocgalant; 02-11-2009 at 01:04 PM Reason: addendum

Thanks a lot Roc, Components indeed do sound like a better idea, and since I'm going for a slow upgrade, meaning component by component, maybe I should go with that idea. I have an 8g, but I can get the tweeter covers from the dealer, since I don't have the infinity sound system. let me read up a little more to understand this more. Thanks again.

You are here entirely tooo much!! Jeffylou87's Avatar
    Infinity's ftw! That's all I have in my interior.. It's the best sound you'll ever hear.

rocgalant
    No prob. Crutchfield.com has a 'what fits my car' guide to show you what fits. It looks like those speakers would fit a 9g no prob. May want to check it out.

rocgalant
    What does ftw mean?

Actually I read on another thread, that crutchfield might not be the best when it comes to finding out what fits, but I think I know that mine's 6 and 3/4. Oh by the way, FTW means For The Win (Gaming term), or basically like "something rules!".

rocgalant
    Lol FTW! Ok.

I have to agree that Crutchfield isn't the best. It's the best online resource that I have found so far. It really shows the 'easy fit' more so than what actually will fit. Like it said that my Polk MMC690s wouldn't fit. Well it wouldn't fit top-mounted, but with a little brainpower, I bottom-mounted it. It just took more of effort. They are overpriced IMO too. Good luck on your quest

Oh yeah...from my exp and reading different message boards, Infinitys are going to give the best clear sound (no boomy bass, more punchy clear bass, great highs and clear mids). While polks are just a notch in the other direction. hope this helps
    Last edited by rocgalant; 02-11-2009 at 05:54 PM Reason: addendum

yeah, crutchfield is a little off. i bought a set of JBL GTO components for my doors and the opening is just a bit larger than the speaker, so only 2 screws are holding the speaker in place. JBL's aren't all that bad for the money. Don't expect any bass, but the highs are definately crisp. i think list was 200 for them and i ended up paying $125 for the 6 1/2" components and like $79 for the matching 3 way 6x9. Also, i don't know who on here has them, but www.woofersect.com has all of thier CDT components on blowout. I haven't personally heard them, but i also haven't heard anything bad about them.

I have pioneer G series 6.5 inch in my door and sounds great, no distortion like factory setup. I picked them up for $45 NZ new which is nothing. I doubt your galant has factory tweeters though so you probably want different speakers.

Experienced TGC Member showtime's Avatar
    IMO I'd go alpine before infinity, but thats just me. Inifinity is good if you are going to be using an external amp because most infinity speakers are 2 ohm instead of 4.

Gbaby2089
    ok so i think i blew out my front speaker driver side today what's something decently high quality for cheap as i'm a hs student and am saving up for an Integra (as a fast car, don't worry i will still VIP the G at some time)

I just bought Focals. They sound great.

Quote Originally Posted by Team Helotes View Post
    I just bought Focals. They sound great.
    which focals did you get? i was thinking about running a set of K2P's active
    ...pain is temporary, pride is forever...

Experienced TGC Member showtime's Avatar
    Focal speakers are amazing but they are not really budget speakers. Your looking at $150 for the front pair and thats not even components. Alpine type S or R's are quality, or even infinity and they wont hurt your pocket. http://www.sonicelectronix.com/ has good prices (sorry to repeat if someone already mentioned that site)

Quote Originally Posted by nycking23 View Post
    which focals did you get? i was thinking about running a set of K2P's active
    I did the 165 A1 up front and the 690 CA1 in the rear.

I listened to the K2P and they did not sound 3 times better to justify the cost to me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast