The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Hid ballasts?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 23

Hid ballasts?

Is anyone else having problems with their hid ballasts. Shit ive gone through 4 of them now and im buying the better quality ones. Pissing me off. Just had to order another one today.

1996 galant s
    finishing up my 2.4L DOHC, 10.5:1, precision sc60, meth injected MONSTER.

Experienced TGC Member
    What kind of ballasts have you had and what are your HID specs?
    -Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Galant306m View Post
    Is anyone else having problems with their hid ballasts. Shit ive gone through 4 of them now and im buying the better quality ones. Pissing me off. Just had to order another one today.
    nope. i have had my Mccullugh ballast for almost 2 yrs and i bought them used from DanJ who had them for christ knows how long.

it all depends on how cheap they are made.

"DSM's, making people mechanics since 1985"
    Quote Originally Posted by polishmafia
    You want real respect from those fools? Don't race him. Tell him racing is a sport left to young boys who are still waiting for their balls to drop. Then while he's out racing, fuck his girlfriend in the ass, take pics, and leave them on his car while hes at school.

Im using the Xentec. I bought a diffrent brand this time, im slowly switching over to DDR's.

1996 galant s

i'm not sure what the problem is with mine my driver side headlights only works sometimes, i've switched bulbs around and it works for a little bit then stops, ive switched the ballasts and same thing happens, i wish i knew what the problem was i'm running bi xenon 8000k anyone ever had this problem? Sorry can't help ya as you can see i'm having probs too.

Experienced TGC Member showtime's Avatar
    I have the xentec kit but it is not installed yet, I installed them on my friends titan and he never had any problems with it and he has had them for 8 months now. How long do you have your ballast before it goes out?

ive had them for about a year now.

1996 galant s

I have no idea man, im sorry. I am installing mine right now. That should not happen, ill give my friend a call he owns a fabrication company and he does all my friends HID's and he uses the xentec kit i believe

do they get wet alot? try to install them where little water can reach, even though they say they are water proof. I had my ballast for years 4+ no issues.
    00 Galant ES Turbo/5-Speed
    13 GTR

I bought my kit through xenoneyes.com about 2 years ago. When I originally installed them, one ballast blew. I sent it back and they sent me another one. I kept having this problem for about 2 months. Finally, I wired the HIDS to a switch and haven't had an issue since. Also helps for a pretty simple foglight mod .

You are here entirely tooo much!! peanotation's Avatar
    i've had to put my HID ballasts on relays since the oem headlight wiring shorts out after they're on for a certain amount of time. don't think 8G guys have to worry about this though....
    http://socallifestyle.com/

1994 Galant GS 5spd

TGC Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by IceDouTGaLanT View Post
    do they get wet alot? try to install them where little water can reach, even though they say they are water proof. I had my ballast for years 4+ no issues.
    Like he said, make sure they are not getting wet, or any of the wiring is getting wet. Also make sure that they are mounted securely and not bouncing around.

It also may be a wiring issue. Wire them up to a relay instead of the factory hi/low beam leads, if you havent already done that.

Need some paint or bodywork done in Chicagoland or NW Indiana???.. http://www.alsautobodyexperts.com/

anybody have a pic of how theirs are mounted?

That was my issue. Kept blowing fuses and after that took out a ballast. So put in a toggle switch.

you should put the ballast between two objects in ur engine bay, today i will take pictures and put them up to show you guys on the 8g is a good spot

on startup, sometimes the stock wiring cannot handle the load (20,000V+) and will cause the ballast to "starve" and flicker. HID does not like to be turned on and off constantly (flashed) since it has to send this ignition pulse each time it starts up and will eventually be destroyed by the shortage of power. in most cases of ballast failure, innadequate power supply is to blame. power your ballasts directly from the battery w/ heavy duty wiring and relays (30 amp) using your stock wiring only to trigger the relays, problem solved.

my xentex kit just went out!!! And supervtec wont answer my questions or talk to me about a return/exhange.

Quote Originally Posted by showtime View Post
    my xentex kit just went out!!! And supervtec wont answer my questions or talk to me about a return/exhange.
    Wow Drew that blows ass :(

Yea, supervtec wasn't very responsive to me either, but my kit has been working fine. I wish you luck bro!

Yeah man I am pissed, I have sent three emails already. I just want my money back.

Sorry to hear that, you just got these didn't you?
    I was about to order some from here but now this makes me a bit apprehensive.
    Should I go with ddm and deal with the wait?

Hope you get a response and replacements fairly quickly. Good luck.
    })({ Heather })({

- "If you never take risks, you'll have a wasted soul."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast