The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Mitsu planning to end Galant Production in USA.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Showing results 21 to 40 of 68
    I've never been the fan of the 9G, but no replacement?? Sounds like Mitsu is going down the route it did in Europe...

Banned
    Im glad they're ending production because every galant Mitsu has released after the 8G has been fcking atrocious looking, at least externally. The 8G is the flyest looking G they ever came out.

I dont mind at all.

That's stupid. C'mon just make another generation of Galant that goes back to looking like an 8G and release the VR4 back in the states and then they can make their money back.

Experienced TGC Member glantv699's Avatar
    Double Post, delete please.
    Last edited by glantv699; 02-14-2009 at 10:19 AM

> TGCPA - SOUTHEAST
    > 2010 Evolution X SE #183 of 340 (1 of 54 in Octane Blue)
    > 1999 ES V6 (Sold 2/2011)

Gbaby2089
    yeah if the 9g wasn't SOOO ugly they'd prolly be selling better

Experienced TGC Member glantv699's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Galant306m View Post
    well i bet they could boost their sales if they would just give us 2 turbos and awd.
    As awesome as this would be, it doesn't appeal to their target market. Yes it expands the market in one direction making it more appealing to people like us, but the Galant followed trends of the family sedan, just look at the transition from 6G to 9G. Almost identical changes in style in the comparable Accord and Camry. Early 90's, small boxy, mid 90's, got a little bigger, round out some lines, late 90's/00+ longer, wider, sharper, but still conservative, latest models are bulky and obscure. The thing is, Accord and Camry have always outsold the Galant.

This almost makes me want to go buy a 9G Ralliart and say I have the final Galant.

> TGCPA - SOUTHEAST
    > 2010 Evolution X SE #183 of 340 (1 of 54 in Octane Blue)
    > 1999 ES V6 (Sold 2/2011)

Quote Originally Posted by glantv699 View Post
    As awesome as this would be, it doesn't appeal to their target market. Yes it expands the market in one direction making it more appealing to people like us, but the Galant followed trends of the family sedan, just look at the transition from 6G to 9G. Almost identical changes in style in the comparable Accord and Camry. Early 90's, small boxy, mid 90's, got a little bigger, round out some lines, late 90's/00+ longer, wider, sharper, but still conservative, latest models are bulky and obscure. The thing is, Accord and Camry have always outsold the Galant.

This almost makes me want to go buy a 9G Ralliart and say I have the final Galant.
    That, I don't understand.

...Maybe I'm biased, but the Galant was always the better looking of the three. I'll even go as far out to say that 9G looks better than the current Camry (which, if you look at it long enough, you'll see a bloated walrus) and the Accord just looks...While the 9G is no 8G, the most recent ones don't look all that bad in the right color. Reliability isn't so bad, I'd assume, either...

You are here entirely tooo much!! 99 galant's Avatar
    On Galantforums.com we have been seeing some pictures of VERY clean VERY nice modded 9g's

You are here entirely tooo much!! 4-G-rim's Avatar
    Ending production of the Galant in the USA doesn't mean that Mitsu will end the Galant name. Like other car manufacturers trying to make financial moves as the world suffers from economic times...Mitsu is making a move to keep $$$ in their pockets.

Mitsu is going to save alot of $$$ by not assembling the Galants in the Normal, IL plant. Think of it...most of the parts are from Japan and it costs $$$ to import the parts here to the US, etc etc. Mitsu of Japan has always produced Galants even when MMCNA was producing 7g and 8g's.

The 9g takes a bit to get used to..but its a solid car none the less. Overall quality of the car is a step up from the 7g and 8g and performance is very solid. I believe Mitsu goal was to market the Galant as a performer and stand out from the other cars in its catagory, but slighly missed the target. I would honestly buy a 9g Ralliart as a daily...for some reason the Ralliart 9g's look really good.

I think Mitsu is making some moves to protect their long term goals and plus they have been good on keeping their plans on future production models on the down low recently. I doubt they will end the Galant lineup....its been Mitsu's longest running vehicle lineup. Mitsu just needs to produce a Galant that will shakedown its compeitition...create a new standard. Much like what Nissan did with the Altima...prior to its current body style, the 2 previous generations were very medicore cars. Then Nissan reinvented the Altima...and its taken a good chunk of the once dominant Camry/Accord mid sized market.

We will see though...but I believe Mitsu knows what they have to do. The Concept ZT is a good sign
    Last edited by 4-G-rim; 02-14-2009 at 10:22 PM

1991 Galant VR4 1948/2000_________1996 Galant "S" 5 speed 2.4L turbo

You are here entirely tooo much!! beam514's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kurenai View Post
    That, I don't understand.

...Maybe I'm biased, but the Galant was always the better looking of the three. I'll even go as far out to say that 9G looks better than the current Camry (which, if you look at it long enough, you'll see a bloated walrus) and the Accord just looks...While the 9G is no 8G, the most recent ones don't look all that bad in the right color. Reliability isn't so bad, I'd assume, either...
    I don't think you understand that people don't understand that Mitsubishi makes decent cars. They last long as long as you take care of them. Can't throw em around quite as much as say a civic or something. A good amount of the people that I've talked to have this idea that Mitsubishi makes absolutely crappy, ugly cars, then they see my 8G and really like it :D

I'd buy a new lancer GTS and re-badge it with GALANT end of story ;D

Quote Originally Posted by jhendra83 View Post
    I'd buy a new lancer GTS and re-badge it with GALANT end of story ;D

X2

9g Ralliart > 8g(x1000)
    [/thread]

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

I think they should discontinue the Eclipse IMO.

I actually like the 9Gb, but then again I think the fit and the xB's are awesome.
    Jigz-TGCIL Sosick Motorsports

R.I.P. Christopher "CRAZY CHRIS" Beckmann
    "you dont appreciate friendship until you lose your bestfriend...."
    I'd rather have the knowledge and ability to do it than the money to buy it already done.

I dont think Mitsu should discontinue the Eclipse. Mitsu just needs to consider bringing back the AWD platform for the Eclipse or RWD to compete with other cars in the Eclipses market. (370Z, Genesis coupe, etc etc)

You are here entirely tooo much!! 9G's Avatar
    the eclipse is very hot to middle age women. it has to stay.

Quote Originally Posted by Gbaby2089 View Post
    yeah if the 9g wasn't SOOO ugly they'd prolly be selling better
    no ur ugly... (end of rant)
    uhhhh...... Whats a 9g???

Experienced TGC Member Galantfan88's Avatar
    Can I ask someone, why the hell we dont have the awesome v6 twin turbo vr4 G's in the USA???:(

Yeah MMA should of done like how they did for the 6g VR-4: import 2000 units from Japan and sell it as a limited edition. Mazda "kinda" did that with the Mazdaspeed6 and made it a hard to find product. Same goes with 3000GT VR-4 as there's a small faction of people that wants a preminum trim that's sporty yet as well as refined. We just didn't see that on the usdm 7g/8g.

Quote Originally Posted by Galantfan88 View Post
    Can I ask someone, why the hell we dont have the awesome v6 twin turbo vr4 G's in the USA???:(
    Simple.....no market here in the U.S. during the 7g and 8g generations.

MMCNA decided to bring the 6g GVR4 here in the states is because at the time the 6g had a awsome reputation since it won the North America Import Car of the Year award beating the Accord the Camry. Galant sales were high and Galant GSX's ( n/a 4G63 AWD) were selling very quickly. So...in addition to the new performance oriented Eclipse and 3000GT..Mitsu decided to bring a limited amount of Galant VR4's to sell here in the U.S to take advantage of the hot Galant GSX sales and improve their "Performance brand" persona.

Well...Mitsu realized that its a tough market to sell a $30k Mitsu Sedan where you could spend that type of money into a BMW, Mercedes, etc etc. Eventually in 92 they only decided to bring over a 1000 and eventually 93 not to bring over any GVR4's to the states.

Simply during the mid 90's and early 2000's...there wasn't a market for "high performance" sedans in the U.S. The BOOM were SUV's here in the U.S. and Sedans were marketed as reliable and value. This is why we never saw early generation of Evos, WRX's, Skylines, FTO's, etc etc. Japanese car makers here in the U.S. were already having a hard enough time selling their flagship vehicles in their lineup which eventually came their end in the late 90's like the Supra, 3000GT, RX7, 300ZX, etc etc

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast