The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: How To:6G72 5 Speed Swap

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Showing results 21 to 40 of 194
    I hope to do my V6 tranny swap this weekend, I'm still waiting for some smaller parts (hope to get them maybe tomorrow), and I will also take as many pictures as I can. I will try to be specific on some wiring changes, including clutch interlock switch, starter circuit, etc. BTW, I already know how to keep cruise control working...

'00 Patriot Red GTZ --> JDM'ed... 5 Speed... ...

Quote Originally Posted by warriorlax5506 View Post
    Yeah i realized that haha, i didnt know and plus i was bored waiting to get all the parts so i just started ripping things apart and cleaning them. I wish the project could move faster but my time frames arent matching up right.
    I got bored too of be waiting for parts, wanted to keep the car usable, and a few days back got tired of looking at some parts...

Yup, I installed pedals :D
    Last edited by HondaKillerGTZ; 02-25-2009 at 06:28 AM

Nice dude, yeah my tranny is gone so its just sitting in the garage on stands waiting haha. Im still baffled at how it went, maybe pulling it out will help answer my problem

5-speed 6G72 w/ bolt-ons [sold]
    '93 Nissan 240sx vert

FWIW, I used a flexible extension like this one:

to get to the bolts holding the shifter lines to the firewall.

*UPDATED*

And man am i getting tired of how slow this swap is going.
    As of now, in my most likely delusional head,
    I will be getting the flywheel resurfaced this week, clutch should arrive soon (damn snow slowing its arrival down), pedals installed, and master installed.
    Then on this saturday we do plan on dropping the automatic and depending on how things go, try and lift the 5 speed in.

'93 Nissan 240sx vert

You are here entirely tooo much!! Jeffylou87's Avatar
    Can you take like 1738273 pictures of the master and slave install.. And if you needed extra parts like hoses and such?

Can do. Yeah let me know if you want me to go back and add more pics wherever things get fuzzy.

'93 Nissan 240sx vert

You are here entirely tooo much!! Jeffylou87's Avatar
    Just add as many as you can.. I want you to post so many pictures that Proto has to add another HDD to the TGC server.. I want to make sure I do this right when the time comes.. You will definitely be one to be thanked by me when I do this.. I'm good with the pedals, shifter and axle.. I need more pictures and info on the cylinders and the starter plate..

Alright, yeah i keep forgetting to take pics so time to go a little trigger happy, maybe a stop motion swap?? haha.

Yeah to be honest, Im a little confused on the whole starter plate thing, because from what i can see, the auto starter plate looks very similar to the manual one, i will do a better comparison once i pull everything out though.

'93 Nissan 240sx vert

yea the starter plates are a lil different but even so i just used the one from the auto and grinded down the difference. The auto one is a bit smaller and a lil offset which causes it to sit so close to the flywheel that is grinds when its started up. Like i said though i grinded it and theres no problem now.

Oh okay cool. Yeah I'll definitly document through photo the difference.

'93 Nissan 240sx vert

Manual Starter plate on top of automatic starter plate:

Ok, what about tranny fluid? I read good reviews on club3g.org about the "grey mix", which is 2 qts of Redline MTL + 1qt BG Syncroshift, but what about everyone else experience? Any other suggestions?? I ask because I cant get any BG Syncroshift locally.

Also, how do you guys hold the engine while the tranny is off the car? I will take out the auto tranny later today and I dont want to dent the oil pan with a jack/stand.

Quote Originally Posted by DryBear View Post
    Manual Starter plate on top of automatic starter plate:
    Looks like I wasted $25 on the manual plate

You are here entirely tooo much!! fatal1's Avatar
    syncromesh works really well..i used that with a quart of lucas recently and it shifts smooth as anything

You are here entirely tooo much!! seth98esT's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HondaKillerGTZ View Post
    Looks like I wasted $25 on the manual plate
    Starter is in a half inch off between the two plates. I paid $11 for my manual plate, very good investment. Beats cutting the automatic plate.
    7g for life!

Quote Originally Posted by fatal1 View Post
    syncromesh works really well..i used that with a quart of lucas recently and it shifts smooth as anything
    did you put the missing peice back in the shifter assembly?? if so thats why it shift smooth.
    2.4L - AWD - 5SPEED - PTE 6057 at __PSI w/Wavetrac LSD

Awesome tutorial, thanks for posting all the links that i may or may not need while researching on how to do this, helps alot especially since i dont have to search! haha thanks bro, glad u got it done!

~Gabe

When I feel like eating a banana, I like to go to the zoo, sucker punch a gorilla and try to run with a banana hanging out my bum. Then if I succeed, I enjoy my victory with said banana and a stroopwaffle.

You are here entirely tooo much!! fatal1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GOOSEY2099 View Post
    did you put the missing peice back in the shifter assembly?? if so thats why it shift smooth.
    lmao haha nope stil havent ordered it i did save the part # you sent me though, i will do it soon, the slight play in the shifter doesnt bother me much i actually dont even notice it

how did you remove the axle from the hub?? did you unbolt the Lower control arm or the ball joint?
    Jigz-TGCIL Sosick Motorsports

R.I.P. Christopher "CRAZY CHRIS" Beckmann
    "you dont appreciate friendship until you lose your bestfriend...."
    I'd rather have the knowledge and ability to do it than the money to buy it already done.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast