The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: How To:6G72 5 Speed Swap

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
Showing results 41 to 60 of 194
    Which axle? The passenger side axle on the V6 has a bracket that bolts to the engine block - there are two bolts if I remember correctly, then you can pry the bracket away from the engine as it sits on a metal dowel (or 2).

To get the axle out of the tranny (presuming you have removed the hub assembly), just use a prybar to pop it out. *Do not* pull on the axle as you could damage the joints.

EDIT: Reading comprehension owns me

To get the axle out of the hub, I just unbolted the lower control arm, and pulled it down so the hub assembly can move around. Use a mallet to gently tap the axle out of the hub. Turning the wheels to the side you are pulling out also helps.
    Last edited by DryBear; 03-04-2009 at 12:32 PM

^^^exactly what I did, I'm going to steal that diagram you just posted and put it on the first post. Sorry guys I haven't been taking as many pics as I wanted. I'm going to start taking some more to clear some confusion.

5-speed 6G72 w/ bolt-ons [sold]
    '93 Nissan 240sx vert

^^ I just removed the knuckles with everything attached, makes more room to work around, and its also easier than removing the axle nut.

EDIT: Just finished pulling the fucker out of the car, it wasn't that hard
    Last edited by HondaKillerGTZ; 03-04-2009 at 09:05 PM

'00 Patriot Red GTZ --> JDM'ed... 5 Speed... ...

You are here entirely tooo much!! Jeffylou87's Avatar
    This looks easier and easier with each post that you guys make..

You are here entirely tooo much!!
    nice

Not how fast your car goes but how good u drive going fast.
    Drive It Like You Stole It!
    7G Erubini Body Kit for sale
    http://thegalantcenter.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=57678

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffylou87 View Post
    This looks easier and easier with each post that you guys make..
    The hardest part of all is removing/installing shifter wires, its a pain in the ass to replace it, it took me about 3 hours just for that. Everything else is easier to do if you have the right tools.

Also, I uploaded some pictures, including the cruise control wiring, check my previous post regarding it here: Cruise Control: how to make it work in your 8G after your tranny swap

Taking the auto tranny out is pretty easy - the hardest part for me was trying to install the manual tranny from underneath - I could not for the life of me get it to go in from underneath as the tranny would hit the subframe. It was much easier to pull out the engine and install the engine+tranny together.

^^^Crap, see thats what is worrying me is getting the 5 speed in.

Yeah HondaKiller, getting the shifter lines through is the biggest pain in the ASS.

EDIT: thanks for the hyperlink to wiring cruise control, will update first post this afternoon, i gotta go to school now. Haha i love virginia, we get 6 inches of snow and have been out of school for 3 days and today is a 2 hour delay ha!

Double EDIT:
    On the contrary of living in VA, my clutch still hasn't arrived because of the snow, URG
    Last edited by bmaddock; 03-05-2009 at 07:48 AM

'93 Nissan 240sx vert

Mmmm so far so good....wow it feels like I did mine so long ago....
    The "Tumbler" Is Here
    Stock Longblock/Stock PCM | Custom Garrett 50-1 | 17 Psi | Weighing 2xxxLbs
    3xxWHP/3xxWTQ [Current]

About the v6 passenger side drive axle: I read somewhere that somebody modified the auto tranny inner shaft and installed it on the manual. Is this true? If its true, how the hell I do it? I ordered the inner shaft from the dealer but its in back order until who knows when. Its the only part I don't have to finish the car.

SOMEBODY PLEASE HELP ME!!!!
    Last edited by HondaKillerGTZ; 03-07-2009 at 07:34 AM

You are here entirely tooo much!! fatal1's Avatar
    the problem with the auto axle is its too short hence why you need to get the 3g manual one...im sure it can be modified however i would personally (and have for that matter) just get the 3g one so you are indefinately sure it works

Good luck with getting the shaft from the dealership (pun not intended ).

Check your local junkyards. The one from the Dodge Stratus R/T manual fits too.

Ok, I'm back from installing the tranny (was a pain in the ass), then tested the inner shaft, the auto tranny one actually is like 2mm longer than the manual one; and the splines are different (it slips) (THIS IS FALSE, I DOUBLE CHECKED), so I have no luck with it.

BTW, congrats to myself, I'm officially 5 speed!!

Quote Originally Posted by DryBear View Post
    Good luck with getting the shaft from the dealership (pun not intended ).

Check your local junkyards. The one from the Dodge Stratus R/T manual fits too.
    ^^^ I checked every single junkyard locally, I found nothing!! I ordered the transmission from a place in Florida, then got it shipped here. I will call there on Monday, test my luck and see if they have the axle available. Otherwise, I will have to wait for the dealer. :(

EDIT: The auto tranny inner shaft splines are the same as the manual tranny, and its still like 2.5mm longer. Just to clarify that ;)

Also, I still haven't found the inner shaft, if somebody could help me find one, I will be happily thankful!!
    Last edited by HondaKillerGTZ; 03-10-2009 at 09:45 PM

^^^Congrats man!

**Updated**
    Yep, another freaking weekend where i cant do anything. Me and my dad were supposed to drop the auto today and hopefully attempt to get the 5 speed in BUT, as said in another thread, my dad just laid off half of the employees under him and is now working his ass off.
    I'm considering at this point just to attempt dropping the auto with a friend instead of waiting, im getting impatient.

Oh and pics were added here and there in the thread so it makes more sense.

edit: Oh and Jeffylou, i did add the pics of master install, let me know if that helped or you want more.
    And 4g63lover, i added pics of the hub removal
    Last edited by bmaddock; 03-08-2009 at 09:58 AM

'93 Nissan 240sx vert

this may be a retarded question, and may have been answered before, but why is the pass. side axle replaced with the tranny being on the drivers? seems odd, i know there is a probable explanation that i can't think of.

Member since October '03

Its because of the way the manual transmission is set up, in this case its differential sits a little off compared to the automatic and therefore the automatic's passenger side intermediate shaft on the driveaxle is i believe longer (might be shorter) then what the manual tranny is set up for.

Technically all you need is that intermediate shaft (passenger side) but you might as well grab the whole thing.

Same thing goes for the starter plate, its just a quirky and tiny little difference. (refer to the original post for a pic of the difference between auto and manual starter plate)

Hmm maybe later ill take a pic of the difference between manual and auto intermediate shaft...

'93 Nissan 240sx vert

You are here entirely tooo much!! Jeffylou87's Avatar
    Would you be able to get pictures of the cylinder from the engine bay?

quoted from goosey: "2001: REQUIRES A 2000 AUTO ECU/IMMOBILIZER WHICH YOU NEED TO GET REINITIALIZED AT THE DEALER IN ORDER TO GET RID OF THE CHECK ENGINE LIGHT"

is this still true whether its for the V6 or not? does it affect driving habits?

Steve

Member since October '03

You are here entirely tooo much!! fatal1's Avatar
    it is true for the v6 as well

it doesnt effect driving at all but you will either have to get an immobilizer that is flashed so you dont need to have it probrammed, or, you will have to take it to the dealer so they can rogram it to your key

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffylou87 View Post
    Would you be able to get pictures of the cylinder from the engine bay?
    What exactly do you want to see?

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast