The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: How To:6G72 5 Speed Swap

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
Showing results 61 to 80 of 194
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffylou87 View Post
    Would you be able to get pictures of the cylinder from the engine bay?
    Yeah i'll get some pics once i get home from school this afternoon, actually i might have already taken a pic just didnt upload on accident.

So in essence, I'm down to dropping the automatic, (very vague) installing the 5 speed, reassembling my engine bay, adding fluids, and then ill be done.....hopefully. Oh and i guess going and getting that check engine light flashed and maybe wiring my cruise control.

5-speed 6G72 w/ bolt-ons [sold]
    '93 Nissan 240sx vert

ok so that would be a dealer item then. how much does that run? or I will call and find out but what do I ask for?

Member since October '03

Update: I was able to start the car earlier tonight, I immediately noted the starter sounded different, sounds nicer, no torque converter whine, and everything feels smooth like brand new, not a single noise from anywhere. I also noted that revs really quick, thanks Fidanza!! I only need the damn inner shaft for finishing and taking her for a little ride.

Also, wanted to add something; I hate the way the clutch reservoir looks in 3G eclipses, and I wanted mine to look 1000 times better than that. After some research, reading service manuals, and browsing the Mitsu parts catalogs, I found something interesting (in case you didn't know, 99-00 Galant OEM service manuals have specific parts about clutch and manual transaxle for the I-4)

My "8G JDM" clutch reservoir:

It is specific for 8th gen Galants, fits directly to the Eclipse master cylinder, and the interesting part is that it can be ordered from your favorite OEM parts source, just ask for part# MR333902, price is around $4-5 bucks. Please note that the reservoir cap is not included, it is part# MB555135 and price is around $7-10.

VVV Another shot, everything almost in place
    Last edited by HondaKillerGTZ; 03-10-2009 at 11:31 PM

'00 Patriot Red GTZ --> JDM'ed... 5 Speed... ...

You are here entirely tooo much!! fatal1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 6G72T View Post
    ok so that would be a dealer item then. how much does that run? or I will call and find out but what do I ask for?
    i am assuming you are referring to my answer, while you can get the ecu and immobilizer from the dealer im sure it will cost an arm and a leg. better off getting it from a junkyard etc...you would need the ecu with the immobilizer...basically its just the ecu which allows your key to start the engine...you wouldnt actually need the dealer to perform the service, they will change the imobilizer to recognize your key rather then the car it was originally on

Quote Originally Posted by HondaKillerGTZ View Post
    My "8G JDM" clutch reservoir:

It is specific for 8th gen Galants, fits directly to the Eclipse master cylinder, and the interesting part is that it can be ordered from your favorite OEM parts source, just ask for part# MR333902, price is around $4-5 bucks. Please note that the reservoir cap is not included, it is part# MB555135 and price is around $7-10.
    so will i find that at the dealer?
    Jigz-TGCIL Sosick Motorsports

R.I.P. Christopher "CRAZY CHRIS" Beckmann
    "you dont appreciate friendship until you lose your bestfriend...."
    I'd rather have the knowledge and ability to do it than the money to buy it already done.

^^ its possible that they have to order it, but yes, its available

'00 Patriot Red GTZ --> JDM'ed... 5 Speed... ...

^^^ That's neat, good way to save some room. I've seen the same setup on either some 2g's or 3kgts, but I didn't know you can just swap over the container.

4g63lover, yes, it comes up in our catalog (other american mitsus must use the same exact part)

cool!!! I'm going to get one for myself.

I'd rather have the knowledge and ability to do it than the money to buy it already done.

Awesome find!, I actually havent drilled the holes yet so i think ill go order that now. :)

'93 Nissan 240sx vert

You are here entirely tooo much!! Jeffylou87's Avatar
    That resivour deletes another line and bracket.. Amazing

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffylou87 View Post
    That resivour deletes another line and bracket.. Amazing
    my thoughts exactly.

I just spent the last few hours studying and going over part numbers.. I went to the dealership today and they can get the reservoir and the cap.. Under $10 for me cause I used to work there.. haha.. Anywho, I got prices for each and every part that goes in between the clutch pedal to the end of the slave. Including the intermediate shaft, everything is around $300. The only thing left for me to find is the shifter assembly with cables and a clutch pedal. Then I would have to go on my hunt for a good deal on a clutch kit and a flywheel. Then comes short shifter and bushings..

Quote Originally Posted by fatal1 View Post
    i am assuming you are referring to my answer, while you can get the ecu and immobilizer from the dealer im sure it will cost an arm and a leg. better off getting it from a junkyard etc...you would need the ecu with the immobilizer...basically its just the ecu which allows your key to start the engine...you wouldnt actually need the dealer to perform the service, they will change the imobilizer to recognize your key rather then the car it was originally on
    so I am getting the ECU for the 00 Auto; where is the immobilizer located? never did one of those. lol

Member since October '03

Quote Originally Posted by 6G72T View Post
    so I am getting the ECU for the 00 Auto; where is the immobilizer located? never did one of those. lol
    Are you a '01? If you are ready to drop all that money on a new ecu and immob, I'd buy one from a late '01 MT Eclipse. In case you ever want to flash the car.

Quote Originally Posted by gtx View Post
    Are you a '01? If you are ready to drop all that money on a new ecu and immob, I'd buy one from a late '01 MT Eclipse. In case you ever want to flash the car.
    yeah i'll have to, i'll just grab that when i am at the junkyard. if everything else is there why not right? lol

But when I do get everything said and done, the first start up it should just start right?

Member since October '03

Well, I had a terrible, unsuccessful trip to 4 junkyards. Terrible day yesterday. I had money to blow too. lol But, I will keep my head up. I actually found 1 2nd gen Avenger with a metal shifter assembly so it wasn't going to work. I will try one right down the street from me this week to see whats good. I took a sneak peak and its full of newer cars. I saw a 3kgt in there too so something has to be good. lol Never see those in any yard around here. But if I can't find anything, I might get to the point where I am sending money for you guys to spend for me at your yards. So I'll keep you all posted here or start my own project thread.

Steve

Member since October '03

Sooooo....no update in a while whats up here dude?

Steve

Member since October '03

FML haha, well I ran into an issue with the clutch and flywheel, I will elaborate in a little, I really need to finish a project for school then I'll update with pics and all within the hour.

'93 Nissan 240sx vert

Clutch/Flywheel drama

So one mitsubishipowered.com, I discussed an issue I ran across.

Basically I have a 2-piece R/T flywheel and bought an Eclipse clutch (all OEM replacements), and when I tried putting the pressure plate back over the clutch disc, it didnt make contact with the flywheel and we had a gap issue that didnt allow the clutch disc to be held in place like it should have.

Although not completely proven, BJ, TJ, and I came to the conclusion that the 2piece flywheels use the R/T clutch and one piece flywheels use Eclipse clutches.

Here are some pics
    VVVSide by side (left is the old R/T pressure plate and on the right is the new eclipse one

VVV R/T

VVV Eclipse

Notice how the R/T's is thicker to make up for the difference in what I believe to be between the Eclipse and R/T flywheels. That is why when I bolted the Eclipse clutch to my R/T flywheel, the clutch disc was not held firmly.

More Research:
    I ordered an Exedy OEM replacement clutch (KMB02) for a Mitsubishi Eclipse GT
    Disc Outer Diameter = 225mm(8-7/8in)
    Spline Teeth / Major Diameter =23T / 1in

And this is an Exedy OEM replacement clutch (KMB03) for a Stratus R/T
    Disc Outer Diameter =230mm(9-1/16in)
    Spline Teeth / Major Diameter =23T / 15/16in

So right now I am waiting for a new R/T clutch to come in..ugh haha
    Last edited by bmaddock; 03-22-2009 at 07:23 PM

'93 Nissan 240sx vert

Millimeters.. Jeez..

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast