The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: How To:6G72 5 Speed Swap

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
Showing results 81 to 100 of 194
    Yeah I know, you should of seen the look on my face when I was going to remove the alignment tool. I wiggled it and saw the clutch disc move, my heart sank. Then I pulled the alignment tool all the way out and plunk!, the clutch disc fell to the bottom of the pressure plate cover.

But I'm glad I figured it out, or at least I'm assuming I did. Once the new R/T clutch comes in it better fit or I'm gonna explode haha

5-speed 6G72 w/ bolt-ons [sold]
    '93 Nissan 240sx vert

You are here entirely tooo much!! fatal1's Avatar
    i do recall vaguely something about the r/t being slightly different then the eclipse tranny...i just couldnt remember off hand what exactly it was...i guess this would be it lol

Yeah haha, well I believe the tranny still is the same (F5M51) but the clutch/flywheel combos between the R/T and Eclipse are different. We came to the conclusion that its because the Eclipse flywheel is one piece and my R/T is two piece.

'93 Nissan 240sx vert

My understanding was that as long you mate the correct flywheel to the correct clutch, you should be good. (RT to RT, eclipse to eclipse). Anyway, my eclipse factory flywheel was 2 piece too. So two piece actually, that I only got the outer part of it :D The clutch disc was 225mm. (I ended up buying a fidanza and an exedy stage 1 clutch.) Here they are, the original, oem leftowers:
    Last edited by gtx; 03-23-2009 at 09:27 AM

You are here entirely tooo much!! Jeffylou87's Avatar
    Great news ppl! I found everything I needed at a local junk yard from a donor eclipse. The owner is giving me everything I need for the swap minus the axle for $642!!!! Put a $150 deposit on it and I'll be picking it up as soon as its all out of the car.. I'm so excited!

From what I recall, the R/T uses a stepped clutch. FWIW, I am running an Eclipse flywheel/clutch (Fidanza Flywheel/Spec Stage 2 Clutch) with a tranny sourced from an R/T with no problems.

Alright so TJ was right that the eclipse did come with a 2-piece flywheel at one point, so as it stands now, r/t goes with r/t and eclipse with eclipse when it comes to flywheel/clutch combo, transmission is the same regardless.

Oh and Jeffy, SICK DEAL!, that price is awesome, do you know how many miles were on it?

'93 Nissan 240sx vert

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffylou87 View Post
    Great news ppl! I found everything I needed at a local junk yard from a donor eclipse. The owner is giving me everything I need for the swap minus the axle for $642!!!! Put a $150 deposit on it and I'll be picking it up as soon as its all out of the car.. I'm so excited!

Excellent price, I spent almost 3 times what you spent ($1736 to be exact), but I don't regret it, the thing is wonderful to drive!!

'00 Patriot Red GTZ --> JDM'ed... 5 Speed... ...

Another interesting note: the I4 clutch master cylinder can be used with the V6 (what I'm doing), both masters' inside diameters are the same, the only difference is that the V6 one have a damper under it for killing some vibrations felt on the clutch pedal at high RPMs, nothing else.
    Last edited by HondaKillerGTZ; 03-23-2009 at 03:18 PM

'00 Patriot Red GTZ --> JDM'ed... 5 Speed... ...

this is all good news people!! I have found everything but the tranny itself for me. I have a guy on club3G for all interior parts plus master/slave for $130!! Then clutch kit incl. press plate, clutch disc, pilot bearing, and 2 new axle seals for $377. Almost there.

Steve

Member since October '03

FYI, there is no pilot bearing for the V6. However, there is a clutch release bearing.

Quote Originally Posted by DryBear View Post
    FYI, there is no pilot bearing for the V6. However, there is a clutch release bearing.
    yeah i had a brain fart last night. I knew there was a bearing but I couldn't think of it and thats what i went with. lol oops. but yeah thats all up at the dealer now and I have to go get that. Will have most of all of this next week.

Steve

Member since October '03

Wow this is sweet, so many V6 guys going 5 speed lately haha, or at least it seems that way.

'93 Nissan 240sx vert

All because of you my man.. Big thanks to you.. :bow:

same, soon i will too make my v6 a BEAST! thanks for the info

~Gabe

When I feel like eating a banana, I like to go to the zoo, sucker punch a gorilla and try to run with a banana hanging out my bum. Then if I succeed, I enjoy my victory with said banana and a stroopwaffle.

No problem you guys, this is all I wanted was to help a few other people like me, who needed some visual aid. :)

Oh and I added a link on how to wire you're reverse lights and trick the ECU into neutral near the end of the swap. Once my new clutch (Urg!..) comes in this friday, I will add the final pictures on for some closure to this project.

'93 Nissan 240sx vert

I cut my brake pedal and drilled out the holes for the master today. I'm picking up all my parts this week!! :-D

In a few days, I will be selling my 3G Eclipse Clutch kit (pressure plate, clutch disc, alignment tool, throw out bearing), so anyone interested keep an eye out for it.

More info, its literally Brand New Exedy OEM replacement for the eclipse. Big thing is i will sell it for fairly cheap because i need it gone, most likely for around $150 shipped

This will be great for anyone looking to 5 speed swap soon and replace the clutch.

PM me if interested
    Last edited by bmaddock; 03-27-2009 at 04:54 PM

'93 Nissan 240sx vert

I installed my master and the clutch pedal today! Along with the reservoir that cleanly sits on top.. I have every single part I need now! Already ordered the Exedy clutch kit along with a fidanza flywheel before your post :/ Anyways, got the intermediate shaft and reservoir with cap from the dealer today and picked up my tranny. Old gear fluid smells like ass btw..

Oh and FYI!!! The cap that is on the stock reservoir on the eclipse fits the clean reservoir. So, if you have a donor car, you can save like $3 from having to buy a new cap. :P
    Last edited by Jeffylou87; 04-02-2009 at 03:53 PM

Cant you just mod the shifter? Simply cut the shifter shorter? then screw the top into it and theres the short shifter?

~Gabe

When I feel like eating a banana, I like to go to the zoo, sucker punch a gorilla and try to run with a banana hanging out my bum. Then if I succeed, I enjoy my victory with said banana and a stroopwaffle.

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast