The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: How To:6G72 5 Speed Swap

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast
Showing results 101 to 120 of 194
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffylou87 View Post
    Also, I was wondering about a short shifter... People who have done the manual swap to their Galants don't get short shifters. I thought about it and realized that I haven't seen one that was swapped with a short shifter. Then I put a little thought into it and realized that the arm rest would definitely get in the way when trying to shift with it. Thoughts?
    I do have a short shifter, and I'd bet a bunch of others who swapped does as well... I have no problem shifting because of the arm rest.

I also have a short shifter (Megan Racing). Initially, I didn't run with the whole center console for a while (it was naked! ). When I finally put the center console back, the arm rest felt a bit weird, but hasn't caused any difficulty in shifting, unless I have a big gulp cup in the front cup-holder. The armrest is actually comfortable when shifting :)

You are here entirely tooo much!! fatal1's Avatar
    to my knowledge everyone just about has one...it just doesnt appear to be sunk as it does on the eclipse because the way out center is made and how the assembly sits...

roman also made his even shorter. look in the tutorial thread

^ yup and i love it.
    2.4L - AWD - 5SPEED - PTE 6057 at __PSI w/Wavetrac LSD

Well, all of my stuff should be here tomorrow from a guy on club3G. Shifter assy, pedals, master/slave, and my real cf shift boot. lol its sick looking. dry cf stitched into a boot. But i have yet to pick up my clutch kit at Mitsu. bills come first. lol I'm just excited to get this done.

But while on this topic, I am going with the fidanza short shiter. had good luck and felt good on my talon back when i had that if you guys even remember that thing. my car will be stripped out from now on. it has been for a while now so im not worried about the console at all.

Steve

Member since October '03

***Final Update...........basically...

As of now I have had the car running for a few days now, and wow i wish i brushed up on my manual driving before i finished but man is it a great feeling going through the gears.

As some of you may already know, i seriously am willing to help to the best of my ability others that want info, just PM me.

And please post in this thread if you want me to take more pictures of a certain aspect of the swap and I will. Also ask if you want me to explain anything in greater detail.

Hope all goes well to the few who are currently gathering parts for the swap.

5-speed 6G72 w/ bolt-ons [sold]
    '93 Nissan 240sx vert

Quote Originally Posted by warriorlax5506 View Post
    Didn't get pictures to but before bolting the transaxle to the engine, make sure to replace your throw out bearing. To do this, we had to remove the fork, then take the TOB out. Its a pain in the ass getting the fork off but that was the only way the TOB would slip off the inner shaft. If some one comes up with a better method of removing the fork, please post it. We had to drill a tiny hole to slip the rod the fork sits on out of the tranny
    VVV Here is the tiny hole next to the crossmember that isnt plugged.
    Actually, just above the pin that holds the fork in place (#14) is a cap that you can pop out (#13) with a flathead, so you can pull out that pin from the top (after removing the bolt holding the pin in place).

Be sure to note the orientation of the springs (#15 and #21) before removing the pin.

Last edited by DryBear; 04-08-2009 at 12:16 PM

Also, make sure that the shifter cable is not touching the rear exhaust manifold. Melted shifter cables are not fun

Thanks man! Great advice and i have no freaking clue how we missed that cap, wow i feel stupid now but oh well, hopefully i never have to see the fork again....(fingers crossed)

Oh and I think I will check my shifter cables tomorrow morning, now I'm paranoid they will be burnt haha.

Thanks again.

EDIT: Oh and nevermind, yeah I knew about the cap on top of the tranny for the fork but our issue was that we couldn't get the rod to budge out so we had to drill a hole on the other side so that we could get a nail setter there, allowing us to get leverage into tapping it out.
    Last edited by bmaddock; 04-08-2009 at 10:15 PM

'93 Nissan 240sx vert

TGC Regular
    nice. good to see more and more v6 manuals! i have the fidanza adjustable shifter set to shortest. i'm a short guy and the armrest makes shifting kind of awkward at first but i'm used to it now. had the stock shifter at first too and the armrest was still awkward lol
    Your signature is too long.

About how much money this swap cost ?

You are here entirely tooo much!! beam514's Avatar
    anyone have a part # for the manual starter plate?

V6 starter plate: 1055A022

'00 Patriot Red GTZ --> JDM'ed... 5 Speed... ...

thanks!

damn $36 for a fucking sheet of metal.. without shipping bleh

okay I cannot locate the passenger side intermediate shaft for the life of me. And the junkyard guys swear on their life that its the same part as on the automatic transmission, because the car-part.com register doesn't recognize the differences between the two. AHHH SOO frustrating. Can someone get the part number for me?

Edit: Nevermind, found the parts for $150 shipped from up in Norcal

They have a full 2002 Stratus RT Manual (except the clutch pedal and intermediate shaft) if anyone is interested. 60,000 miles on the odo
    Name of the place is KHS Auto Dismantling
    Last edited by beam514; 12-14-2009 at 04:57 PM

^^ seems pricey, but i guess you gotta do what ya gotta do to get the part.

I'm hoping this tutorial has helped more people, i don't go on very often but the how-to has quite a bit of views since way back when i posted more frequently. Anyways hope your full swap goes well beam, youre a beast for undertaking all that, just read through some of your threads.

well off to lowes i go, lowering my short shifter even more now that im on winter break ;)

'93 Nissan 240sx vert

okay another question for the wiring:
    when you short out pins 9 and 10, are those the thicker wires? I would assume so. Anyway I was looking at the circuit diagram, then i realized that I wired it wrong. Then I looked at it again and realized that I wired it wrong after I fixed it I think. On the ECU side of the harness, is pin #1 on the right or left?

I just stuck a wire in the 9 and 10 female pin sockets of the harness plug (the one that originally plugged into the auto tranny) to short them out.

Quote Originally Posted by DryBear View Post

I just stuck a wire in the 9 and 10 female pin sockets of the harness plug (the one that originally plugged into the auto tranny) to short them out.
    yea but what I'm wondering is which one is 9 and 10? cause it depends on which side you are looking at. The circuit diagram shows pic #1 being on the left, but is this for the transmission side of the plug, or the ECU side of the plug?

ie is that pin layout for the ECU side of the plug? because if it is then I wired it correctly after I fixed it. If its the transmission side of the plug, then I need to reverse it

The wiring is pretty easy. Look at the pinout diagram, pins 7, 8, 9, and 10 are on the bottom. So go to the harness and you will instantly be able to tell which one is 7, 8, 9, and 10 by the number of wires in that row. Now, 9 and 10 is black/yellow and red/black. Splice and connect and TADA! The ECU thinks it's in Neutral. I actually ended up cutting and crimping connectors onto mine because I couldnt get any good connectivity with the splice connectors.

EDIT: I ran to the garage and checked, it looks like the pinout shows the side where the wires go into the connector. To make sure, before you start her up make sure the wires you connected are the same colors as stated ^^ there.
    Last edited by 4g63lover; 12-18-2009 at 01:37 PM
    Jigz-TGCIL Sosick Motorsports

R.I.P. Christopher "CRAZY CHRIS" Beckmann
    "you dont appreciate friendship until you lose your bestfriend...."
    I'd rather have the knowledge and ability to do it than the money to buy it already done.

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast