The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: How To:6G72 5 Speed Swap

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast
Showing results 121 to 140 of 194
    You are here entirely tooo much!! beam514's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 4g63lover View Post
    The wiring is pretty easy. Look at the pinout diagram, pins 7, 8, 9, and 10 are on the bottom. So go to the harness and you will instantly be able to tell which one is 7, 8, 9, and 10 by the number of wires in that row. Now, 9 and 10 is black/yellow and red/yellow. Splice and connect and TADA! The ECU thinks it's in Neutral. I actually ended up cutting and crimping connectors onto mine because I couldnt get any good connectivity with the splice connectors.
    okay at least you gave me wire colors LOL. because what I'm saying is that the circuit diagram can be interpreted in two ways: the plug shown is the ECU side of the plug, or transmission side. Whatever one its for, the pins are going to be on the opposite side for the other plug. And since I'm dealing with the ECU side, I need to know which one is shown in the diagram so I can know to reverse it or not

and actually I just checked and I don't even have a red/yellow
    Last edited by beam514; 12-18-2009 at 01:30 PM

ah dammit. I meant to put red/black. WTF Jigz! lol.
    Jigz-TGCIL Sosick Motorsports

R.I.P. Christopher "CRAZY CHRIS" Beckmann
    "you dont appreciate friendship until you lose your bestfriend...."
    I'd rather have the knowledge and ability to do it than the money to buy it already done.

okay this is how I first had it set up:

the two thick wires were 9 and 10 and were shorted together (makes sense right? cause the it goes to the starter?)
    black with red and black with yellow were shorted together
    black with white and red with grey were wired to the speedo sensor

this is how I have it set up now

two thin wires were shorted and the thick wires went to the speedo sensor
    I'll check on colors in just a moment
    Last edited by beam514; 12-18-2009 at 01:43 PM

TGC Regular
    this just occured to me. in order to use cruise control again i just need to splice in a switch between neutral and D to pin 10... anyone tried it? will it cause any problems? and anyone know which pin is D off the top of their head? i'll have to look it up later tonight. another minor project for me to look into lol
    Your signature is too long.

Quote Originally Posted by beam514 View Post
    okay this is how I first had it set up:

the two thick wires were 9 and 10 and were shorted together (makes sense right? cause the it goes to the starter?)
    black with red and black with yellow were shorted together
    black with white and red with grey were wired to the speedo sensor

this is how I have it set up now

two thin wires were shorted and the thick wires went to the speedo sensor
    I'll check on colors in just a moment
    You got it the first time. 7 and 8 goes to reverse gear solenoid for the reverse lights, not the speedo sensor. 9 and 10 is shorted out to think the car is in Neutral.

I'd rather have the knowledge and ability to do it than the money to buy it already done.

here's the circuit diagram

Quote Originally Posted by 4g63lover View Post
    You got it the first time. 7 and 8 goes to reverse gear solenoid for the reverse lights, not the speedo sensor. 9 and 10 is shorted out to think the car is in Neutral.
    err yea oops that's what I meant. We all make mistakes.. cough cough

err yea oops that's what I meant. We all make mistakes.. cough cough
    lol. yeah.

just kinda curious if you saved your cruise control? would be interesting if you did, any info woud be great!!

i have the i4 i wont to swap what parts do i need can you guys write out a list and send it to me

^Sure I will make a list in the search button at the top of the page.

Do I need to get a new ECU to complete this Automatic To 5-speed swap? I'm confused at the part where you short out the pins on the black harness to trick the ECU to thinking your in neutral. Basically does this mean you guys are keeping the stock ECU and tricking it to work with the 5 speed trans?

Quote Originally Posted by shane View Post
    I'm confused at the part where you short out the pins on the black harness to trick the ECU to thinking your in neutral. Basically does this mean you guys are keeping the stock ECU and tricking it to work with the 5 speed trans?
    Correct. But depending on your year, you may need the corresponding speed sensor or year of transmission. Also, years 2001-2003 will throw CELs after installing the 5-speed.

off subject, but now there is more of you 5spd guys, do you think that you should have spend the $ for a lsd?

TGC Regular
    yes its worth it (to me). put in a quaife after 2 years of doing the manual swap, been 3 years since.

its a significant investment though. it costs as much as doing a 5speed swap by yourself(free labor), and you wont really take advantage of having one, unless you do canyon runs or race every weekend. you also need some decent tires or its worthless, both wheels will just be spinning w/o traction. (which is whats happening to me right now, have yokohama avids, haven't invested in a good set of tires because i haven't put much attention to the car this past year)

so i guess weigh your benefits carefully.

TGC Regular
    also, dunno if this also helps, maybe this will give you an idea of how much spirited driving i do, mostly canyon runs btw.

my g eats through a set of summer tires once a year after the manual swap. except last year, when they shut down angeles national forest because california was on fire. thats why i have avids right now, but these aren't lasting very long either.

Quote Originally Posted by hsinya View Post
    also, dunno if this also helps, maybe this will give you an idea of how much spirited driving i do, mostly canyon runs btw.

my g eats through a set of summer tires once a year after the manual swap. except last year, when they shut down angeles national forest because california was on fire. thats why i have avids right now, but these aren't lasting very long either.
    you need to come on a GMR run with us! ah
    btw, did you ever wire up the cruise control? I was thinking about this the other day... as I have been having to drive 2.5 hours straight without it. It'd be nice to have it back lol.

TGC Regular
    you need to come on a GMR run with us! ah
    btw, did you ever wire up the cruise control? I was thinking about this the other day... as I have been having to drive 2.5 hours straight without it. It'd be nice to have it back lol.
    i will lol. emerson has been inviting me to all these mini meets and i haven't had the time to go... and also haven't had time to mess with the car. should be having some spare time in the upcoming months in spring. also got some 225/45/17 falken 912's. now i just need to get alignment then i'm good to go lol

for the cruise control i was thinking of running wires from a switch to the auto tranny socket. lead1=neutral. lead2=drive. ground=gear selector to pcm/ecu.

i'm not sure how this will affect the ecu though. it doesnt throw the auto tranny solenoid codes in park/neutral... but i wonder if it will throw codes while the gear is set to drive though.... because the ecu is actually trying to shift while in D as opposed to P or N?

i'll definately put up a post whenever i actually get around to it

Quote Originally Posted by hsinya View Post

for the cruise control i was thinking of running wires from a switch to the auto tranny socket. lead1=neutral. lead2=drive. ground=gear selector to pcm/ecu.

i'm not sure how this will affect the ecu though. it doesnt throw the auto tranny solenoid codes in park/neutral... but i wonder if it will throw codes while the gear is set to drive though.... because the ecu is actually trying to shift while in D as opposed to P or N?

i'll definately put up a post whenever i actually get around to it
    That's actually exactly what I was wondering also. I don't want to screw anything up, so I was hoping someone else already did it :P

BUT if you only use the cruise control on the highway, the car would never really need to shift anyway.. but then in Drive it might be looking for some kind of voltage across the solenoids, which are non existent.

I had about the same idea for the switch as well. I could also just leave it in "Drive" when parked, so it would actually be impossible to start the car unless you knew where the switch was.

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast