The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: How To:6G72 5 Speed Swap

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast
Showing results 141 to 160 of 194
    I owe this thread yet another thank you for the wiring information. Completely forgot which ones needed to be cut =)

Lancer/EvolutionX Rotor Glow Paint
    6g74 Forged Engine w/ hx40 turbo
    Eclipse GT 5 spd swapped

Rotor Glow Galant
    Daily Galant
    OZ Edition Eclipse

Quote Originally Posted by beam514 View Post
    That's actually exactly what I was wondering also. I don't want to screw anything up, so I was hoping someone else already did it :P

BUT if you only use the cruise control on the highway, the car would never really need to shift anyway.. but then in Drive it might be looking for some kind of voltage across the solenoids, which are non existent.

I had about the same idea for the switch as well. I could also just leave it in "Drive" when parked, so it would actually be impossible to start the car unless you knew where the switch was.
    My cruise works fine. I didn't connect the two wires on the harness like everybody else though. I ran them to the sensor that's on the front of the clutch pedal, so the they're jumped when the clutch pedal is depressed. But still, the ECU isn't reading anything from the transmission when cruise is on, so it should work fine
    6G74+5SPD = FUN

TGC Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by jmath99V6 View Post
    My cruise works fine. I didn't connect the two wires on the harness like everybody else though. I ran them to the sensor that's on the front of the clutch pedal, so the they're jumped when the clutch pedal is depressed. But still, the ECU isn't reading anything from the transmission when cruise is on, so it should work fine
    hm... never thought about that... so the engine starts w/o the ecu thinking its in park or neutral?
    Your signature is too long.

Pin 9 and pin 10 on the park/neutral switch are only connected when you press down the clutch pedal. that way you can't start the engine without the clutch pressed down
    6G74+5SPD = FUN

TGC Regular
    u didnt wire anything to drive on the harness? so the cruise works w/o any pins being connected?

right. when clutch isn't pressed, like when I'm on the freeway, nothing is connected and the cruise works fine
    6G74+5SPD = FUN

TGC Regular
    awesome. thanks for the info! gonna have to do this when i have time

You are here entirely tooo much!! beam514's Avatar
    shoot, might have to do this when I get home. I don't like the wiring I did for pins 9 and 10 anyway.

i have a 02 gtz and im trying to see if i need any parts off the a/t for the 5spd swap???
    STAY READY AND YOU WONT HAVE TO GET READY!!

When I get home, I'm going to try the cruise control mod.

Quote Originally Posted by galant1983 View Post
    i have a 02 gtz and im trying to see if i need any parts off the a/t for the 5spd swap???
    nahh bro. I belive everything from the a/t comes off.

Triple Diamond Motors East Cost
    02 2.5L Fully Built Galant 5 speed
    SOHC Turbo
    http://www.thegalantcenter.org/showthread.php?52330-Isaurio-s-Turbo-Built-quot-4G64T-quot-Heavy-pics>My 4G64 Turbo Built

Quote Originally Posted by beam514 View Post
    shoot, might have to do this when I get home. I don't like the wiring I did for pins 9 and 10 anyway.
    dont fuck it up. LOL

Triple Diamond Motors East Cost
    02 2.5L Fully Built Galant 5 speed
    SOHC Turbo
    http://www.thegalantcenter.org/showthread.php?52330-Isaurio-s-Turbo-Built-quot-4G64T-quot-Heavy-pics>My 4G64 Turbo Built

Quote Originally Posted by Isaurio View Post
    dont fuck it up. LOL
    lol it will be really easy. I just need to extend the wires to the clutch pedal switch and voila

Quote Originally Posted by Isaurio View Post
    nahh bro. I belive everything from the a/t comes off.
    thanks!

has anyone ever noticed that we have an extra connector, right near where the clutch pedal bolts? It happens to fit this clutch depression switch, but stock, it's not connected to anything. It has a black w/ yellow wire and a black w/ white dots every 1" wire coming out of it. I wonder what it is attached to? Being that this car is A/T, but even has the place to mount a clutch master cylinder, I wonder if it is a "universal" wiring harness..

I don't have time to take apart my dash and go digging for these wires though.

This is the switch I will be using. Shorts the circuit when it is not pushed, and opens the circuit when it is pushed in (clutch pedal is not depressed)

update:

What I am doing is using the clutch pedal to short out pins 9 and 10, instead of hard-wiring them. I just tried it out. The car is not able to start when the clutch isn't depressed, and does start when the clutch is depressed.

HOWEVER, once the engine is running and I let off the clutch again (clutch pedal is not depressed), the idle freaks out and then I get a CEL. I haven't scanned it yet but I'm assuming it's going to have to do with the missing A/T solenoids.

I believe once the ECU thinks the car is out of Park/Neutral, it's going to be looking for a signal from those solenoids. If that is the case, I'd rather not have cruise control than have a CEL constantly.

just checked my DTC's, and it is:

P0740 Torque Converter Clutch Circuit Malfunction
    P0750 Shift Solenoid A malfunction
    P0755 Shift Solenoid B malfunction
    P0760 Shift Solenoid C malfunction
    P0765 Shift Solenoid D malfunction

The idle does end up settling back down though.
    Last edited by beam514; 07-01-2011 at 09:17 PM

hey im doing my swap now and i cant seem to figure out how to bolt up the clutch pedal and i cant figure out how to remove the old flywheel and clutch! someone please help me with step by step instruction on how to do both

Clutch pedal:
    You have to cut out the 3 holes in the firewall (2 small bolt holes, 1 large for the Master Cylinder). It is hidden behind black padding/insulation. You also have to remove the insulation that is 90 degrees to the firewall, upside down. The clutch pedal bracket has 4 bolt holes, and make sure to bolt it by all of those holes, otherwise the firewall will flex and could crack when you're pressing down on the pedal.

Old clutch and flywheel: Do you mean the A/T driveplate and torque converter?

Refer to the 4 Cyl Manual swap thread for these things. They are very similar.

Just FYI, if you still want cruise control but don't want to constantly have the CEL, you can hook up pins 9 and 10 to a switch, and disconnect them whenever you want to use cruise control (say for a 3 hour drive). When you get to your destination or back home, you can clear your CELs (if you have the capability). Once you clear your CELs, make sure pins 9 and 10 are reconnected so it doesn't pop up again.

This also serves as a safety switch. Can't start the car if the switch is in the cruise control mode. I just tested it out and I'm pretty sure everything works out. Cleared the CEL and it didn't come back since it thinks it's in Park/Neutral again, so that's good.

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast