The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: 94 and 97 obd designation

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 33

94 and 97 obd designation

I am trying to find out what obd designation my 1994 galnt s is. The manufacture date is aug 93. It is the 7th gen galant. Thanks.

RIP
    1995 7G 4G64 / 63T DOHC Turbo
    Part Out Coming Soon

In search of 2G 3000GT VR4

Daily driving
    Dat '08 Cobalt Coupe

Do you know of any differences in the 97 to 94 harness under the dash? I hope the 97's will plug into the 94's ecu and not give me any problems. I got the harness from under the dash to the tails out of the 97 and want to do some checking on the compatibillity of the two before I start pulling apart the 94. It's now my daily driver and I don't want to be down for days. Thanks for the info and if you know about this, don't hesitate to reply.

94 and 97 harnesses and ECU are completely different. 94 has 3 plugs, 97 has 4 plugs. I have 2 OBD2 harnesses and ECUs ready to be tried on my Galant. One is off 96 galant, the second one is off 98 and its emissions components free /no egr, vaccum lines, solenoids/
    God created turbo lag to give the v8's a brief moment of hope.

Build Thread

Theres a plug that is before the ecu, thats behind the radio, Now that plug, do you or anybody else know if thats different or might it plug in the same?? I didnt pull that whole plug that goes to the ecu, just the main one under the dash. When did they go to obd 2, what year? Thanks, I'm just stumped unless I can find the harness for the OBD 1.5.

You are here entirely tooo much!! seth98esT's Avatar
    97/98 are the only full OBD2.
    7g for life!

You are here entirely tooo much!! 4-G-rim's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by seth98esT View Post
    97/98 are the only full OBD2.
    96-98 are full OBD2

1991 Galant VR4 1948/2000_________1996 Galant "S" 5 speed 2.4L turbo

Quote Originally Posted by 4-G-rim View Post
    96-98 are full OBD2
    nope not all. some 96's are OBD 1.5

"DSM's, making people mechanics since 1985"
    Quote Originally Posted by polishmafia
    You want real respect from those fools? Don't race him. Tell him racing is a sport left to young boys who are still waiting for their balls to drop. Then while he's out racing, fuck his girlfriend in the ass, take pics, and leave them on his car while hes at school.

Is the only way to tell by looking at the ecu? Ive got a couple of 96's here in the junkyards by my house but they dont have motors, how do I tell?

Quote Originally Posted by 97dsmturbogalant View Post
    Theres a plug that is before the ecu, thats behind the radio, Now that plug, do you or anybody else know if thats different or might it plug in the same?? I didnt pull that whole plug that goes to the ecu, just the main one under the dash. When did they go to obd 2, what year? Thanks, I'm just stumped unless I can find the harness for the OBD 1.5.
    There is no harness. its just a white/clear plug next to the OBD2 plug. The OBD1.5 scanner uses both of the plugs

Quote Originally Posted by kolio View Post
    nope not all. some 96's are OBD 1.5
    all 96 are obd2

Is the only way to tell by looking at the ecu? Ive got a couple of 96's here in the junkyards by my house but they dont have motors, how do I tell?
    how can you say these were 96 galants? If it said it was made in 96 , that means it was released in 97. Just look under the dash - if you see 2 plugs then its obd1.5, if you see one black plug then its obd2

Build Thread

You are here entirely tooo much!! seth98esT's Avatar
    I know that all 96 are 4-pin ECUs, but I thought most were OBD1.5? Maybe not.
    7g for life!

its easy to tell. obd2 have the manifold pressure sensor

Build Thread

Ive allways known to look for the manufacture date, most manufacturers rool over the next year in the 7th month and some in the 10th month. Take my 94 for example, it's a 7th gen wich didnt start till 94 right?, but the doorsill manufacture date is aug. 93., 1 month after july, the 7th month. Ill look for the 2 plugs under the dash for the diagnostics. Does anybody know if the 94 S's came with the eprom ecu's, or was that just the gs's? All this just for the power windows/locks/mirrors. LOL.

You are here entirely tooo much!! 4-G-rim's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mko View Post
    its easy to tell. obd2 have the manifold pressure sensor

Cha Ching!:smt023

Plus the govt mandated that all cars after 95 production years must be all OBD2 compliant.

1991 Galant VR4 1948/2000_________1996 Galant "S" 5 speed 2.4L turbo

Quote Originally Posted by mko View Post
    all 96 are obd2
    nope. i have personally seen OBD 1.5 96's

"DSM's, making people mechanics since 1985"
    Quote Originally Posted by polishmafia
    You want real respect from those fools? Don't race him. Tell him racing is a sport left to young boys who are still waiting for their balls to drop. Then while he's out racing, fuck his girlfriend in the ass, take pics, and leave them on his car while hes at school.

Ive allways known to look for the manufacture date, most manufacturers rool over the next year in the 7th month and some in the 10th month. Take my 94 for example, it's a 7th gen wich didnt start till 94 right?, but the doorsill manufacture date is aug. 93., 1 month after july, the 7th month. Ill look for the 2 plugs under the dash for the diagnostics. Does anybody know if the 94 S's came with the eprom ecu's, or was that just the gs's? All this just for the power windows/locks/mirrors. LOL.
    The 95 Cali Spec ecus are eprom, the GS ecu is not.
    94 Galant GS: 4G67 head, 1G IM, Evo 8 TB, DeltaCam 272/264 Cams, Test Pipe, OE Avenger V6 60mm catback w/muffler, modified Outlander header, DIY COP setup, B/S delete, 315cc injectors, AEM UEGO WBO2, Black case 3G ECU

1994 GS FYI
    DSM/CSM Manuals

its hard to say tho. Some did, some didnt have EEPROM. The only way is to see if the ECU sticker has the "E" on it, or just open it up and look at it

Build Thread

You are here entirely tooo much!! peanotation's Avatar
    my 94 was manufactured in december 93, obd 1.5, big pain in the ass
    http://socallifestyle.com/

1994 Galant GS 5spd

Quote Originally Posted by peanotation View Post
    my 94 was manufactured in december 93, obd 1.5, big pain in the ass
    95, manufactured...some time in 94....It's all a ploy to stop us from modding these things >_> . I'm blaming mitsu for the 2 burn marks in my carpet from soldering.
    RIP
    1995 7G 4G64 / 63T DOHC Turbo
    Part Out Coming Soon

In search of 2G 3000GT VR4

Daily driving
    Dat '08 Cobalt Coupe

I still pull the codes, but Ill be getting rid of the MAFT and will be getiing Megasquirt very soon

Build Thread

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast