The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: '94 galant es with acceleration issues.

Showing results 1 to 20 of 20

'94 galant es with acceleration issues.

It doesn't accelerate pass 5mph. It will not even go up a slight hill.

Takes about 5 minutes to warm up or else pressing on the gas, the motor will die.

I've checked just about everything, such as;
    fuel injectors.
    Throttle position sensor.
    Air filter.
    distributor cap.
    Spark plug wires.
    new battery.

I'm out of ideas.

Please help.

did it happen suddenly or you did something and the car went bad
    God created turbo lag to give the v8's a brief moment of hope.

Build Thread

You are here entirely tooo much!! 4-G-rim's Avatar
    What were you symptoms prior to your current situation? Was the car misfiring, stalling, etc etc. We need a little bit of history of what on before to give you some good suggestions.

1991 Galant VR4 1948/2000_________1996 Galant "S" 5 speed 2.4L turbo

well, it was drivable and but it didn't accelerate normally, like it would take just a few seconds longer.

The thing is I lent it to a friend, and when I got it back all of a sudden it wouldn't go up any hills or anything. I had to tow it with my other car.

Before that I could drive it on the road no problem.

So I don't know. THe acceleration was a little slow before though.

You are here entirely tooo much!! seth98esT's Avatar
    If you put it in neutral, can you rev the motor up to redline without issue? If you can, its a drivetrain problem. If you put it in neutral, can you push the car easily? If not, you have a froze caliper or sticky e-brake. If you pass all those tests, its your transmission. I assume its auto, check the fluid, fill it if its low, change it if its dark and smells burnt.
    7g for life!

the answer is sometimes yes when warmed up it will redline in neutral. yes the car is pushable. so probably something transmission related or ??

Well what exactly happens when you put it in gear and try to accelerate? Does it misfire? Does it just bog out? Does it rev?

Have you changed the fuel filter on the firewall? Tested the fuel pump or fuel pressure? Checked for spark on all four plugs?
    7g for life!

It goes about 5mph and I'm flooring it.
    No misfire.
    It reverses, not very fast though.

I haven't checked the fuel filter on the firewall.
    Haven't done the fuel pump or pressure.

The spark plugs are fine, however.

I got a brand new distributor in it.

Ok..when you are flooring it does the motor sound like its revving up the powerband?

Right now from the information I have gathered...sounds like you are having a tranny thats slipping really bad.

Quote Originally Posted by jdsperry View Post
    It goes about 5mph and I'm flooring it.
    No misfire.
    It reverses, not very fast though.

I haven't checked the fuel filter on the firewall.
    Haven't done the fuel pump or pressure.

The spark plugs are fine, however.

I got a brand new distributor in it.
    i hope you got the spark plug wires correctly when swapping the distributor
    God created turbo lag to give the v8's a brief moment of hope.

Build Thread

Im positive that the plugs are matched correctly, its pretty easy to tell, it wouldn't run at all if that were the case or it would run really crappy.

Thats not the problem thoughh, it runs fine just has no accleration whatsoever, at first to me it seemed fuel related but am not convinced enough to start replacing the filters, fuel pmps and injectors.

it does rev up sometimes though after its been warmed up for about 5 minutes, just not in drive. So could it be burnt out tranny fluid? bad torque converter? or something in the transmission thats off. Should I get a new tranny? I just need this car to accelerate like it was before we lent it out.

BTW. What is the powerban? How would I tell if its revving up?

I would think if its the torque converter or slipping clutches in the trans, the trans would slip. Youd get moving a few mph and it would start to rev instead of accelerate.
    7g for life!

Quote Originally Posted by jdsperry View Post
    well, it was drivable and but it didn't accelerate normally, like it would take just a few seconds longer.

The thing is I lent it to a friend, and when I got it back all of a sudden it wouldn't go up any hills or anything.
    First off I know I would be questioning the friend with what exactly he was doing while driving your car, something sounds shady. If your engine is revving and trans seems to be slipping as if your in 3rd gear it could be in "limp mode". Take Pos. battery cable off for a few minutes and try driving and see if it happens again. Next get a voltmeter and read the TCM code/s if any.

TGC Regular
    the way he makes this sound is that it is difficult for him to redline in nuetral. KEy word "Sometimes when warm up" well mine can be dead cold and it will redline easy in nuetral. we need a little bit better description here man. Cause it can be a bunch of stuff. PLease detail.

Maybe your timing jumped, whens the last time the tbelt and components were changed? Do you have any check engine lights at all?
    7g for life!

Post a video of what the car is doing.

Obviously we are all stumped on trying to grasp on whats wrong with your car.

hopster
    My 95 is doing the same thing, i was merging onto the highway when all of a sudden it shuddered and fell on its face when i looked under the hood the ac belt had shredded and wrapped around the crank. i've been sick so i haven't been able to look at it more. Do you think the timing belt could have slipped. I hope not just had the thing replaced last summer

hopster
    Anyone figure out this problem yet?

Check you cat. converter unbolt your exhaust system right before your cat or loosen it to enough to create a gap then drive it and see if this solves your problem.

^^^I'd use that as a last resort. I have had a bad cat before and the thing accelorated fine. Smelled like shit though. Much like Seth and Kev said, it sounds like a tranny issue. If you find it is the trans swap it to a 5 speed. If the timing skipped you might need a new engine...hate to break it to you. It doesnt take much to trash these engines with a belt....Balance Shaft ring a bell? GOod luck and if you have anymore info, post it so we can pin point for you. OH and punch you friend dead in the mouth!

"Why fart and waste it when you can burp and taste it!"