The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: 9G- Free Air Subs on Rear Deck?

Showing results 1 to 10 of 10
    rocgalant

9G- Free Air Subs on Rear Deck?

So I want to install a sub in my 09 Galant but need trunk space. What do you think about putting a 8" free air sub in the center of the rear deck? It has the stupid ski-port where the rear arm rest is so I don't know how that would effect the air seal needed for the rig. Might be cool though to have the 6x9s and a 8" sitting there right?

trunks to big it would sound like ass

rocgalant
    Quote Originally Posted by ricky_db View Post
    trunks to big it would sound like ass
    But aren't free-air subs designed with the idea that the trunk will act as the baffle/box; so the trunk wouldn't be too big?

every speaker has a max amount of air it can try to move tho. and ONE 8" JUST AINT GONNA CUT IT
    Last edited by ricky_db; 02-15-2009 at 08:26 PM

TGC Regular
    it would be best to put a small enclosure around the sub, that way its sealed off from the trunk. And it will have way more punch to it with a small enclosure.

Need some paint or bodywork done in Chicagoland or NW Indiana???.. http://www.alsautobodyexperts.com/

rocgalant
    Quote Originally Posted by ericbla03 View Post
    it would be best to put a small enclosure around the sub, that way its sealed off from the trunk. And it will have way more punch to it with a small enclosure.
    That's an idea. I'll have to read about the smallest suitable box dimensions to fit that then. The problem is that I would then have a box hanging from the trunk rather than on the trunk floor so it may still create a trunk space issue. Thanks E

Quote Originally Posted by ricky_db View Post
    every speaker has a max amount of air it can try to move tho. and ONE 8" JUST AINT GONNA CUT IT
    Alrighty then. That makes sense I guess. I really have limited knowledge about air space and subs. Thanks for the info.

TGC Regular
    Yea, just make a small enclosure and screw it to the underside of your rear deck.. Ive seen people do it with aftermarket 6x9s too, to make the bass response a little better.

Need some paint or bodywork done in Chicagoland or NW Indiana???.. http://www.alsautobodyexperts.com/

rocgalant
    Quote Originally Posted by ericbla03 View Post
    Yea, just make a small enclosure and screw it to the underside of your rear deck.. Ive seen people do it with aftermarket 6x9s too, to make the bass response a little better.
    Fo sho. Thanks buddy.

I am looking at doing this with a JL Audio 13TW5 sub. It is only 2.5 inches deep. I am planning on building a box around it. The box will only have down about 4".

rocgalant
    So I have these Polk MMC 690s in my rear deck and the baskets on them are huge. I was thinking, if I'm going to build an enclosure to put a sub in the middle of my rear deck, why not place a board across the entire under side of the rear deck? That way, I can seal off the sub and the 6x9s and it may look a little cleaner. What do you all think?